ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Asia (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   being stationed in S korea (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864654)

mxdreaming 02-20-2013 09:45 AM

being stationed in S korea

Im on orders to S korea, any members there that are korean? interested in learning the culture while im there and hopefully doing some riding too! :kumbaya

SR1 02-25-2013 04:47 AM

Is your thread also open to non-Koreans in Korea? You kinda made it exclusive...

Watercat 02-26-2013 07:02 AM

Recommend you take language course before you go and while you're there.

:wink:

mrclean28h 02-26-2013 06:13 PM

Been there

I did 6 years at Humphreys and road a lot

mxdreaming 03-02-2013 01:35 PM

Open to all, need input. Just excited to ride the XRR on another continent and use motorcycling to bridge culture/language barriers wouldn't turn down rides with anyone irregardless of nationality

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

SR1 03-02-2013 04:03 PM

I wish I had brought my WR250r when I came over here rather than my 1200GS. There are plenty of places you can go on a small dual sport. Of course, I get to see lots of places on my GS too due to comfort over distance... At least I have knobbies on it and try to find places to use them.

Do you mean an XR250r by chance?

Got room in your household goods???????????????????????

swimmer 03-02-2013 04:05 PM

My wife is korean. Hope that helps.

snorske 03-03-2013 05:30 PM

the road riding here in Korea is amazing. There are literally endless miles of twisties, with some of the most beautiful scenery you can imagine. Mountain roads, coastline curvies, bays and lakes. Its really a paradise of riding. I am in the south where the weather is milder, so the roads are typically in great condition.

There are very few gravel or fire roads to explore though. Small land space combined with many people means nearly all roads are paved. Combined with most flat space being farmed and the majority of space being mountainous, there will be mostly paved curvy roads and steep hiking trails.

The drivers are very conscious of motorcyclists. There are some strange rules such as motorcycles are not allowed on the major freeways. But overall there are little to no rules in respect to motorcycling, as long as you're not an douche.

I might as well warn you, American soldiers get a very bad rap here. Many of it is deserved as well. Drunk 20's idiot meatheads stumbling around and trying to have sex or fight with everything that moves tends to not sit well with locals. Thus most expats and locals try and avoid the soldiers, and you will be refused in many bars/clubs etc. Don't be offended, its just the way it is. Tip - on the weekends try and diversify your friends, including hanging out with some Koreans. It will open up your world 100x fold.

Good luck!

mxdreaming 03-03-2013 08:16 PM

SR1, its a XR659R, I'm glad that everyone has positive Korea riding experiences this is giving me hope.

snorske 03-04-2013 12:24 AM

backing up my previous statements, just read this. :fpalm

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/04/wo...html?hpt=hp_t3

I applaud you for wanting to learn about the culture. Please encourage your fellow soliders to do the same, and restrain themselves from being frat boy douchebags - it really makes life for all expats more difficult. :evil

mxdreaming 03-04-2013 03:39 AM

With the draw down the people with a propensity to accomplish actions that seem like they came out of the movie idiocracy will be out of the army. The army has been getting away from the frat boy mentality but it doesn't happen over night

mxdreaming 03-04-2013 05:55 AM

Correction damn you auto correct XR650R not 659r

SR1 03-04-2013 02:50 PM

Snorske, sounds like we'd get along well, shoot me a PM if you're still on the peninsula.

And yes, MXDreaming, separate yourself from your contemporaries. Unfortunately, I see (very) embarrassing things from the junior enlisted groups nearly every weekend I stay in the city. I take my family away from those areas on the weekends whenever possible.

mxdreaming 03-04-2013 08:07 PM

Which is why me and my wife never stayed in garmisch in the alps and always chose the little guest houses..... When in Rome .... Just can't wait for some kick ass kimchi

SR1 03-05-2013 02:33 AM

Are you coming with her or alone?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:50 PM.