ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   RTW-travelers looking for the best rides between Florida and Canada (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865276)

boomer bike-travel 02-22-2013 08:53 PM

RTW-travelers looking for the best rides between Florida and Canada

Hi guys,

we're Kati and Jens and left Germany more than two years ago to go on our "once-in-a-lifetime-trip". Ok - it's not gonna be the last one :D

We've already been to Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, Peru, Paraguay, Brazil, Alaska, Canada, Western-US, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and on the way to Panama.

In a couple of weeks we're coming back to the States - flying the bikes from Panama to Miami. As it is cheaper to get the bikes back to Europe from the States or Canada, we want to ride from Florida to Toronto.

We're looking for the best rides on our way north. Which are the roads that shouldn't be missed? Where are great spots for camping - without having a 35ft RV next to you?

You can find more informations about the trip, tons of pictures and videos on our website (embedded translation available) http://www.boomer.de

Looking forward to your insider-tipps and infos :clap

bomberdave 02-24-2013 10:04 AM

whats your schedule like?

boomer bike-travel 02-24-2013 04:25 PM

We'll roughly have 5 weeks to get from Miami to Toronto. Over there the bikes get a service and need to be prepared for the final flight to Southern Europe - time to go back home slowly...
We think we arrive in Miami in 2 weeks and start heading north.

BKMLWR 02-24-2013 06:05 PM

if you are speaking of being in Miami in 2 wks from today and heading north you will need heated gear on the northern end of the trip.
you may be able to use parts of the TET trail in the "Laying Down Tracks" section of this site...

bomberdave 02-25-2013 05:49 AM

still too early to enjoy much north of the carolinas. more survival mode riding- watching weather, late starts and short days. we get ice and snow into april up here. enjoy the southeast united states and make a run for canada when the weather looks promising. welcome to stay at my place if you find yourself in the boston area.

mrxinpa 02-25-2013 10:26 PM

We're up in Pennsylvania on the edge of the Pocono Plateau. Still plenty of snow on the ground here. Day time temps run into the 30's~low40's with the nights still in the 20's. so as the previous post implies unless you planning on short trips plan on heated gear or your gonna know about it pretty quick.

If you come anywhere into the northeastern Pennsylvania area you got a place to crash here if need be. PM for directions.

Jeff

sailer 02-27-2013 01:59 PM

hang in south floirda, ride down to the keys

maybe head up on west coast and do some of the gulf coast

stay south (warm) as long as you can.

I would make your route vai Deals Gap, it on your way and is the one of the best motocycling roads in North America
maybe blue ridge ( you can always jump on I81) but snow and ice is very possible

Ron_Ces 02-27-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrxinpa (Post 20811886)
We're up in Pennsylvania on the edge of the Pocono Plateau. Still plenty of snow on the ground here. Day time temps run into the 30's~low40's with the nights still in the 20's. so as the previous post implies unless you planning on short trips plan on heated gear or your gonna know about it pretty quick.

If you come anywhere into the northeastern Pennsylvania area you got a place to crash here if need be. PM for directions.

Jeff

I will note that he is referring to Fahrenheit, not Celsius in his temperature readings since you are not from the USA. Stay south as long as possible. NW Georgia, The Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive are not to be missed. Plenty of MC only campgrounds along the way too.
Ron

TengaiJohn 02-28-2013 06:17 AM

NY is warming up a bit, you are welcome to stay with us if you pass by NYC. We are 13 miles north of the city and have hosted german riders before.

Have a safe trip and if you need anything just let me know.!

wizze 02-28-2013 10:11 AM

I agree you should have south for a month or more at least before coming north. Rt 16 through WV is a good ride if you like twisties or Blue Ridge Parkway for a scenic ride. Just did that last year. Deals Gap if you want to say "been there done that."

I guess it depends of what you are looking to do or see.

boomer bike-travel 03-24-2013 05:21 PM

Hi folks,

thanks for all your suggestions.
Because of some problems with our bikes we're still in the "warm" south. Maybe we'll ride a detour to visit New Orleans.
Deals Gap / Tail of the Dragon and BRP are on the bucket list for the way north. NYC is also a must :clap

Hopefully it get's warmer pretty soon :D

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:41 AM.