ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Need advice (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865663)

Jeepguy2 02-24-2013 12:50 PM

Need advice
 
Hi, I'm a new member & wanted to see what you guys thought of my dilemma. Background in 05 I bought my first motorcycle a Honda Shadow 600. Then in 06 bought a shadow 1100 spirt & had that for two years. When the economy went to crap I sold it. So I have 3 years experience riding street bikes. I have always liked the idea of trying off some off road stuff, so now I'm looking at 2 different bikes a xt250 or a klr 650. Most of my riding will be pavement, at least 80+ percent but i do want to try some light & medium trails. I'm 5'10" tall with a 32" inseam & weigh between 210-220lbs. I'm stocky as I used to workout a lot but now at 43 I need to drop about 10lbs, which in the summer I normally do. They both seem bullet prof but I worry the xt250's power will bore me on the road, On the other hand I worry the klr since its so heavy will be hard to learn to off road with. As I have limited riding experience in general & zero experience with the off road stuff. The xt is a used 2011 with 2,000 mi. on it while the klr would be new. Sorry this is so long I am hoping that I gave enough background information for you to help me make a wise decision.

High Country Herb 02-27-2013 04:25 PM

You nailed. That's the dilemma.

You didn't say what type of road riding you plan to do. If you are just doing short sections of highway/back roads to access trails or go to work, the XT would be great. It will be a lot more fun off road, and let you gain confidence quickly.

If you plan to spend 4 hours on the highway at 70 mph, the XT will be a humbling experience. The KLR can ride all day at those speeds and more, even with a passenger. Off road, however, light and medium trails will probably be the limit. Sure there are some daredevils that can really off road the KLR, but most started on smaller bikes.

If you are looking at new, have you considered the DR650? It is smaller physically, and easier to man handle. My off road bike is a 1983 XL600R that is roughly the same size as the DR. I am about your size, and find that size bike good for everything. I wouldn't get too extreme, but when I get in a jam, I can drag the bike off the hill if needed. It will also do 70+ all day. 2-up riding is a strain on it, but doable.

SkiBumBrian 02-27-2013 04:36 PM

Like Herb said, the KLR is big, heavy, but will be alot more comfortable on road. I think the XT is a bit small for your size and weight. Too slow on road and maybe a bit underpowered for your size off road. I wouldn't recommend a new KLR to learn off road, even easy fire roads or double track. The plastics wouldn't last long.... Herb may have hit the nail on the head. The DR is physically Smalley and more manageable for learning but will still be capable on the road.

kid_A 02-27-2013 05:04 PM

+1 on the DR. Disgusting bike.

High Country Herb 02-28-2013 08:26 AM

Also, the DR can be lowered. The Honda XRL650 is similar, but probably too tall.

Good deals can be found on the older DR650, Yamaha XT600, and XL600. The older you get , the more likely it will be a kick start model. I like that, some don't.

Jeepguy2 02-28-2013 09:17 AM

Thanks guys I do appreciate the help. After reading your replays & another current thread with someone with a similar dilemma I decided to go with a 250. Leaning toward the xt250 but also kicking around the idea of the Honda crf250l. The xt is a2011 with 2000mi. & they're asking $3200. The Honda would be new as I probably won't be able to find a used one, but it does look like a nice bike.

For those who asked I will do as little highway riding as possible. I didn't enjoy it on my 1100 shadow, so I really wouldn't like it on a 250 duel sport bike. Again I do thank you guys for your help.

High Country Herb 02-28-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepguy2 (Post 20831579)
Leaning toward the xt250 but also kicking around the idea of the Honda crf250l.

Both of those get great reviews around here. The KLX250 is also in that class. Any of them will probably need to have the rear pre-load cranked up for a rider our size.

After you get used to it, you can uncork it for a significant power improvement.

Kommando 02-28-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepguy2 (Post 20800271)
Hi, I'm a new member & wanted to see what you guys thought of my dilemma. Background in 05 I bought my first motorcycle a Honda Shadow 600. Then in 06 bought a shadow 1100 spirt & had that for two years. When the economy went to crap I sold it. So I have 3 years experience riding street bikes. I have always liked the idea of trying off some off road stuff, so now I'm looking at 2 different bikes a xt250 or a klr 650. Most of my riding will be pavement, at least 80+ percent but i do want to try some light & medium trails. I'm 5'10" tall with a 32" inseam & weigh between 210-220lbs. I'm stocky as I used to workout a lot but now at 43 I need to drop about 10lbs, which in the summer I normally do. They both seem bullet prof but I worry the xt250's power will bore me on the road, On the other hand I worry the klr since its so heavy will be hard to learn to off road with. As I have limited riding experience in general & zero experience with the off road stuff. The xt is a used 2011 with 2,000 mi. on it while the klr would be new. Sorry this is so long I am hoping that I gave enough background information for you to help me make a wise decision.

Some other bikes to keep an eye out for...

KLR250, KL250 Super Sherpa, DR250/350, KLX250S, and WR250R.

The DR650SE is my choice if a lot of slab or 2up is involved.

Vankaye 02-28-2013 12:45 PM

+1 on the DR350. Un un-corked DR350 will fall right in-between those two bikes.:deal

Jeepguy2 03-11-2013 03:06 PM

Just for an update the xt was sold, went to another dealer & that xt was sold as well. Went to check out some different bikes the other day & now leaning toward the Dr 650. I thought it would be too tall but I could get the balls of my feet on the ground plus their is a lower factory setting that will drop it another 1.5 inches. Should put me right where I need to be. The only mods I plan on doing right off the bat is a better seat because the factory feels like plywood & the other is a rear rack. My 2 friends think as I progres in my off road skills their will be plenty of bike left. While they think I would get bored with a 250 & looking for a more powerful bike in a year. Both these guys have ridden on & off road for years & know me well. The other thing is I can get a new 2012 Dr650 for $4,800 a few hundred more then the xt 250 or the crf250l. Does this sound like a good idea or a bad idea? From what I have learned about the Dr 650 from this sight, it sounds like a great bike & bulletproof.

greer 03-12-2013 03:16 AM

For your size and weight I think the DR is an excellent choice. Be sure to see the big DR thread here, and there's drriders.com, and the DR FAQ on thumpertalk. For vendors that'll cater to you, there's procycle and keintech. I always buy gently used bikes to save money, but I can see why some folks choose to buy new. Isn't Suzuki offering 0% interest on financing right now?

Sarah

Blue&Yellow 03-12-2013 03:24 AM

DRZ400?

It's the bike I recommend to everyone who asks so why not :rofl

Kommando 03-13-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepguy2 (Post 20921843)
Just for an update the xt was sold, went to another dealer & that xt was sold as well. Went to check out some different bikes the other day & now leaning toward the Dr 650. I thought it would be too tall but I could get the balls of my feet on the ground plus their is a lower factory setting that will drop it another 1.5 inches. Should put me right where I need to be. The only mods I plan on doing right off the bat is a better seat because the factory feels like plywood & the other is a rear rack. My 2 friends think as I progres in my off road skills their will be plenty of bike left. While they think I would get bored with a 250 & looking for a more powerful bike in a year. Both these guys have ridden on & off road for years & know me well. The other thing is I can get a new 2012 Dr650 for $4,800 a few hundred more then the xt 250 or the crf250l. Does this sound like a good idea or a bad idea? From what I have learned about the Dr 650 from this sight, it sounds like a great bike & bulletproof.

I usually suggest buying used, but that sounds like a great deal on a new DR if they approve the 0% financing too. Install some armor...aluminum skid, handguards, and sidecase covers.

Rather than lower the suspension, consider putting a Seat Concepts low kit on a used seatpan. It'll improve butt comfort, as well as allow you to touch the ground more securely, and it won't reduce your ground clearance or suspension travel. The DR already has a lower seat than many 250s. It's a bit heavy, but that can be reduced quite a bit with a '01-'02 GSXR 1000 40F0 titanium muffler, a lithium battery, a modestly-larger plastic tank, better mirrors, aluminum handlebars, a DR250 tail/brake light, an aluminum rear fender eliminator, lighter signals, lighter 520 14/42 sprockets/chain/retainer, and with removal of stuff you're not necessarily using (helmet lock, passenger pegs, bar-end weights, rear grab bars, upper chain-roller, chain guide, airbox lid/top, etc.). The 14/42 sprockets will also make it feel more peppy and nimble than stock.

simbaboy 03-14-2013 05:43 PM

you will be bored
 
with anything less than a 650 dual sport within 1-2 years.

How do i know? You initial post reminds me of someone I know-Myself!

Fortunately, most 'failed experiments' can be resold with minimum financial penalty.

Get the bike you want and don't worry about the weight of a 650--practice makes good. NEVER PERFECT.

Enjoy
Simba

Jeepguy2 03-29-2013 02:16 PM

Well I just pulled the trigger on a crf250l. Thank you all for the help, I do appreciate all the advice. Now I need to find a good rack & I believe I'm going to go with the seat concepts seat. This is about as tall of a bike I could go with, without lowering it. I really liked the xt250 & it's simplicity but i felt so cramped on it. I may have a DR650 someday though, maybe in a few years.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014