ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New (to me) R1150 GS questions (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865716)

Qben 02-24-2013 03:43 PM

New (to me) R1150 GS questions

Hey guys -
I just bought a 2000 R1150GS and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. I'm going to fly and ride (about 1000 miles).
The owner is selling her late husband's bike so there are some questions she couldn't answer. One of those is about tools. If the bike had a tool kit with it, where might it be? Is there somewhere I should I have her look for it? I don't feel comfortable riding that far without tools and I'll bring my own if I need to, but if it already has a kit somewhere, I won't have to. I searched for a suggested tool kit inventory for this bike, but didn't turn anything up. Can someone point me to the right thread or give an example of what they carry?
Thanks,
I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.
Qben

mouthfulloflake 02-24-2013 04:59 PM

Its behind the driver seat, UNDER the passenger seat.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a...ad-toolkit.jpg

might be hard for her to remove the rear seat, who knows, requires the key inserted just in front of the rear left hand blinker ( circled in yellow) , and then the seat has to sort of be lifted as the key is turned.

but once the seat is off, its a black plastic dimpled panel, it lifts from the rear of the bike, latch is black plastic just in front of that silver metal grab bar. ( tool kit lid latch is circled in red, although the lid is upside down to the far left of the photo)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qben (Post 20801403)
Hey guys -
I just bought a 2000 R1150GS and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. I'm going to fly and ride (about 1000 miles).
The owner is selling her late husband's bike so there are some questions she couldn't answer. One of those is about tools. If the bike had a tool kit with it, where might it be? Is there somewhere I should I have her look for it? I don't feel comfortable riding that far without tools and I'll bring my own if I need to, but if it already has a kit somewhere, I won't have to. I searched for a suggested tool kit inventory for this bike, but didn't turn anything up. Can someone point me to the right thread or give an example of what they carry?
Thanks,
I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.
Qben

PETDOC 02-24-2013 05:04 PM

Tool kit is under the passenger seat. It's pretty spartan. I replaced mine with more and better tools; however, in nearly 50,000 miles of riding I've yet to have to use my tool kit on the road.

Qben 02-24-2013 05:07 PM

Thanks

That's perfect! Thank you!

mcstark 02-24-2013 07:07 PM

Be careful about replacing the cover. You can break the plastic hinges. I've never had that problem, but just a word to the wise.

Enjoy the ride home...and easy on the throttle. On my fly-n-ride I found myself going quite fast in 6th gear and the bike didn't seem to be struggling. These things are bred for the autobahn.

Mrmerlin 02-24-2013 07:13 PM

before you set off with the bike on the centerstand check that there is oil in the sight glass on the left front of the block,
NOTE this is done with the engine off and before you start it.

Check the tire pressure set them at 36 front 42 rear, have a safe ride

TUCKERS 02-24-2013 07:17 PM

Check to see if the Co2 and plugs and stabber is in the tool kit and take an air pump.

I like 40/42 in my tires....they last longer.

Have a nice ride. If you are motel stopping you may want to take a lightweight bike cover too.

Qben 02-24-2013 07:43 PM

Keep it coming

All good info, keep it coming. I'm making a list.
By "Co2 and plugs and stabber," do you mean something like this?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...XbNWj-XHJdwm1T

Is it recommended to carry a kit like that and a pump? If so, is a small hand pump for a mountain bike sufficient?

Petdoc, is there a couple of specific supplemental tools you feel are essential?

Thanks again!
Q

def 02-24-2013 07:48 PM

Most important tool?

Active AMEX card. Enjoy the ride....you'll be fine.

hootch 02-24-2013 11:40 PM

Oh God, what have I done?

I did a fly and buy for my 02 after spending 5 minutes in the saddle of one at a dealership. (Mostly to make sure my short legs would touch the ground!)I was expecting the BMW experience, smooth, sophisticated... Oh my God, this thing is a tank. It whines in first gear, is a heavy son of a bitch, first gear is too tall, the damn cylinders keep getting in the way, did I just make a very expensive mistake..... It liked to rev and was definitely faster than my F650, but the switch gear was funky, and the damn thing tried to throw itself to the ground every time I revved it at a stop. What the Hell? Once out of the heavy traffic, things started to get better. The switch gear started to make sense,but it still felt more like a Panzer than a Porsche. The first opportunity to get off the interstate and on a dirt road changed everything. It turned into a fat dirt bike that loved to sling dirt and haul ass around corners. It demands respect due to the sheer bulk, but by the time the dirt road changed back to tarmac, that big black bastard and I had a much better understanding of each other. Windy back roads.... Oh yeah. Have fun on your fly and buy!! They're great bikes.

PETDOC 02-25-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qben (Post 20803297)
Petdoc, is there a couple of specific supplemental tools you feel are essential?

Thanks again!
Q

Good question to which there is no simple answer. I do all of my own maintenance and repairs; therefore, when traveling I bring quite an assortment of parts and tools. if you are not inclined to work on your bike you only need a cell phone, credit card and emergency transport service. I highly recommend Allstate Motor Club RVROADHELP for the latter.
Because of the year of your GS 2 issues you may want to address sooner than later are 1. Replace your rubber brake lines. There is a significant failure rate in earlier GS'. 2. Check and replace, if needed the Hall effect sensor.
Less pressing is the issue of upgrading the left side cam chain tensioner if not done by prior owner. You can do a search in this forum on these issues or go to the Hall of Wisdom for detailed instructions on how to fix things.
Let me say again all of the tools and spare parts I have taken on long trips have been for naught. I've certainly had problems with my GS, but never while on the road. A friend with a GS jokingly once stated he never caries any tools on his GS when he travels, he just travels with me.

Qben 02-25-2013 07:38 AM

Thanks!
This bike was VERY well cared for by the PO. I will not be surprised if I find all of the issues you mentioned to have been addressed already. But I will certainly check them and put them at the top of my list for when I get back home if not done yet. I am very inclined to do my own maintenance, but since I'm not super familiar with the bike yet, the credit card, cell phone, and roadside assistance are all good ideas for this trip.
Q

Qben 02-25-2013 09:34 AM

Russell?

Anybody know what kind of saddle this is? It looks a little bit like a russel daylong, but I'm not sure.http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...en21/image.jpg

rajohn 02-25-2013 10:43 AM

Seat looks like a Rick Mayer seat.

Qben 02-25-2013 12:12 PM

So it does! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:38 AM.