ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   BMW Dry suit (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869081)

matthelimech 03-08-2013 07:30 PM

BMW Dry suit

Anyone have one, or seen one? Looks like new stuff this year, and was was wondering how it compares to the Rallye Pro. Its suppose to have a waterproof liner built in??? And it looks to be cheaper than the Rallye stuff.

winnrider 03-08-2013 07:51 PM

Max BMW sales told me not due until end of month in u.s. said they are getting lots of interest. Didn't know much about suit though.

matthelimech 03-08-2013 08:22 PM

Ok, I saw them on the A&S Cycles site, so I was curious if they were out yet. Looks promising with the built in waterproofing and the zippered venting thru the liner.

NJ Moto 03-08-2013 08:30 PM

With a name like that it better keep you dry. Also, I wonder why it's marketed towards beginners.

"Likewise an all new development by BMW Motorrad is the GS Dry suit, which is intended above all for beginners."

TuonoBiker 03-09-2013 06:33 PM

The new 2013 riding gear catalog is available on BMW's website and has all the details. Finally!!!

The Dry suit actually looks pretty nice - from what I was told a couple months ago by Bob's BMW, it will be around $1k for the suit...not cheap, but not the most expensive either.

I think the matching gloves are the shizzle - can't wait to try on a pair. Gore tex plus a decent size guantlet...looks like a great touring glove, IMO. The current Rallye glove isn't enough "street" for me.

I picked up a RP3 suit on clearance a few weeks ago - glad that didn't change except the colors and armor. Although, I love the new light grey/red/black color jacket. Oh well, I will do just fine with the black...(until its July and 100* + humidity)

Sort of anxious to see the new NP2 armor that is in the Rallye jacket and GS Dry suit...

:freaky

winnrider 04-10-2013 01:50 PM

anyone pull the trigger on this suit yet? Thinking about retiring my Santiago suit in the flea market.

TuonoBiker 04-10-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnrider (Post 21155461)
anyone pull the trigger on this suit yet? Thinking about retiring my Santiago suit in the flea market.

Was at my dealer 2 weeks ago and their new stuff is on order so they are waiting...no dates as when it will arrive, was too early in the order process.

I'd hang tight before buying anything else. My thoughts are it will be very competitive to whatever else you're looking for in that price range.

RocketJohn 04-10-2013 03:36 PM

BMW makes dry suits? wow!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-J1czjpIrjQ...n+and+Alan.jpg

swimmer 04-10-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuonoBiker (Post 20908195)

I think the matching gloves are the shizzle - can't wait to try on a pair. Gore tex plus a decent size guantlet...looks like a great touring glove, IMO. The current Rallye glove isn't enough "street" for me.

:freaky

Also interested in those gloves provided they are uninsulated.

TuonoBiker 04-11-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimmer (Post 21158580)
Also interested in those gloves provided they are uninsulated.

According to the bmw site catalog, I don't think they have insulation. I just want goretex and a small enough gauntlet to wrap close enough to the wrist to fit under the rallye 3 cuff, but long enough to give some weather protection.

HeatXfer 04-11-2013 06:48 AM

$1k for a beginners' suit? Man, looks like Cycle Gear going at that demografic all wrong.

TuonoBiker 04-11-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatXfer (Post 21160538)
$1k for a beginners' suit? Man, looks like Cycle Gear going at that demografic all wrong.

I think "beginner's suit" is just the result of bad translation....or lack of the proper English word to describe their intention.

My thought is that its decent for someone who is doing amateur off-roading since they market the Rallye Pro as the, well, "Pro" off-roader gear.

Honestly not sure what makes any of the gear geared towards "off-roading". I have the RP3 and do a mix of touring and light off-roading (fire roads, forestry roads, etc.) Not sure what makes my coat better off road than any other coat. Maybe the armor is beefier? Then again, the street gear from BMW has very beefy armor as well.

I would have been happy with the lighter duty Dry Suit I believe, but I got the RP3 suit for the same (similar) price 2 months ago...seemed like a no brainer.

cliffy109 04-11-2013 11:47 AM

My local dealer has them in stock as of today. I was just at Morton's BMW and saw them hanging on the wall as I was leaving. Unfortunately, I was in a big hurry and didn't have a chance to look at them closely but I will tomorrow or at their open house this weekend.

TuonoBiker 04-11-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffy109 (Post 21162812)
My local dealer has them in stock as of today. I was just at Morton's BMW and saw them hanging on the wall as I was leaving. Unfortunately, I was in a big hurry and didn't have a chance to look at them closely but I will tomorrow or at their open house this weekend.

What kind of devoted rider are you that you didnt have time and were "in a big hurry" to get out the door?

:D

We are all in great anticipation of somebody's opinion on this new gear!!!

cliffy109 04-11-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuonoBiker (Post 21163609)
What kind of devoted rider are you that you didnt have time and were "in a big hurry" to get out the door?

:D

We are all in great anticipation of somebody's opinion on this new gear!!!

LOL... Full disclosure, my wife works there and my father-in-law owns the place and I work only a mile down the road so I'm in there all the time. Today was just strange in that I had to swap some vehicles around so we could pick up kids later today. Long and complicated story, but I swear I'll be able to take a good look at lunch tomorrow. I considered putting off a gear purchase to get this stuff but my father-in-law and wife bought me a Rallye 3 jacket for Christmas that had come in as a trade-in (yes, they take used BMW gear as trade toward new BMW gear).

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:45 PM.