ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Terrible Milage 07 990ADV (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869681)

tilting40s 03-11-2013 08:14 AM

Terrible Milage 07 990ADV

Hey guy's I have a 07 990 Adv and I'm gettin about 90-95 mile before the gas light comes on. I think this is pretty terrible. The bike smells like gas when it runs so I have a feeling its running rich -but it still hauls ass so it runs well. I would love to re map it but don't have a PC nor do I want to go through the hassle of installing windows on a mac/I'm super noob so i don't want to f-up the bike either. I live close to the guy who does Tune ECU in San Rafael CA but I'm concerned he will charge an arm and leg for just leaning it out at critical points/don't really wan the wear and tear of dyno testing on the bike. Any suggestions/ people who have used Tune ECU privately in the bay area? I guess I'm really looking for guidance. Thanks!

-Nick

crazybrit 03-11-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilting40s (Post 20918447)
Hey guy's I have a 07 990 Adv and I'm gettin about 90-95 mile before the gas light comes on. I think this is pretty terrible. The bike smells like gas when it runs so I have a feeling its running rich -but it still hauls ass so it runs well. I would love to re map it but don't have a PC nor do I want to go through the hassle of installing windows on a mac/I'm super noob so i don't want to f-up the bike either. I live close to the guy who does Tune ECU in San Rafael CA but I'm concerned he will charge an arm and leg for just leaning it out at critical points/don't really wan the wear and tear of dyno testing on the bike. Any suggestions/ people who have used Tune ECU privately in the bay area? I guess I'm really looking for guidance. Thanks!

-Nick

Are you the original owner? Unless someone previously has messed with the map I cannot see how Tune ECU will help resolve a chronic fuel consumption issue such as this.

If someone has screwed up the map, getting it back to stock shouldn't require a dyno. Figuring this out and it's been messed with, returning it to stock, would be my first step.

brents347 03-11-2013 01:11 PM

Do you have the petcock on one tank turned off? Becuase this is TERRIBLE mileage!

crazybrit 03-11-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brents347 (Post 20920960)
Do you have the petcock on one tank turned off? Becuase this is TERRIBLE mileage!

This thought crossed my mind also but if he's only draining the left tank I'd expect he'd be hitting reserve before 95 miles (isn't the left tank smaller to accommodate the fuel pump -- so with both tanks on he'd be getting well over 200 before reserve which seems too high) ..... also he said the bike smelled of gas when running ... but yeah it's worth checking.

catalina38 03-11-2013 02:25 PM

Running the Akra map? The smell very rich with a gas odor and give very poor mileage.
Clogged or partially clogged MAP sensors will cause poor mileage issues.

speedy 1 03-11-2013 03:20 PM

43.5 mpg

43.5 mpg is the average mine is posting
this is commuting 120 miles round trip
fuel light comes on at 175 ~ 180 miles
brents347 has a good suggestion ... both fuel tanks on ?

LocuL 03-11-2013 03:30 PM

Would a faulty Lambda make it swallow gas?

grinns 03-11-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brents347 (Post 20920960)

It's normal for limp mode if it runs super rich. I would look at it but I am to far. Mine gets usually 42-44 highway maybe 40 with 16-45 worse.

Offroad anywhere from 35 - 40 usually.

It hasn't been that hard of a bike to troubleshoot so far. Maybe that is why mine has stuck around through 10 other vehicles LOL!

grinns 03-11-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catalina38 (Post 20921552)
Running the Akra map? The smell very rich with a gas odor and give very poor mileage.
Clogged or partially clogged MAP sensors will cause poor mileage issues.

My bike had this problem. Look down the throttle bodies and post a pic.

tilting40s 03-11-2013 08:06 PM

I'm going to give it a look tomorrow, and both tanks are drained after a ride that was my first thought. The bike was originally tuned at

http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages...dventurer.html

It's the bike that he show's the dyno run of so it's a one off map for the leo vince exhaust. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post. Thanks guys.

bikepsych 03-11-2013 08:38 PM

Not sure but maybe the low octane connector was disconnected somehow?

BG

gefr 03-12-2013 06:42 AM

I remember LITO had a similar problem

I cannot remember how but he found a solution. I think more recently VioLator had similar issues. I cannot remember if he solved it though.
Cheers.

Irideeverything 03-12-2013 09:23 AM

I picked up an 08 990 ADV in January and did some decent road riding over the weekend. Gas light came on around 130 miles I think. It took about 2.2 gallons per side. Sounds like $hitty mileage to me, or another problem. Thoughts??

Dagwood_55 03-12-2013 12:34 PM

My 07 gets me to 150 before the lite comes on.

tilting40s 03-12-2013 02:58 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93984346@N05/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9398434...n/photostream/So here are some pictures, I don't have time today to really pull everything off nor do i have the knowledge still so unaware of the mechanics of this bike. I'm not intimidated just need guidance. Anyway looks ok (i think), but still not great considering the bike has only 11,500 on the OD. I'm assuming the map sensors are located on the inside of each tube O--O (as if the strait lines are the sensors) which means the tanks have got to come off to get in there and clean them? Also i noticed there looked to be a lot of moister and even some assuming gas hanging out on top of the second lower butterfly valve on both the throttle bodies.

*let me know if the link doesn't work. Oh and if anyone has or knows of a visual of how to remove and clean map sensors plz post link. Thanks!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:12 PM.