ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1999 R1100R Oil Burning (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869832)

caucapon 03-11-2013 03:19 PM

1999 R1100R Oil Burning

Today I saw a '99 R1100R with an eye towards purchase. The bike had 43,000 miles on it. While it was a bit rough around the edges, I was initially inclined to go ahead with the purchase until I saw the tailpipe. It was black with oil. When I ran my finger along this spot it left a shiny fingerprint down the length of the blackened area. I could see that the oil blackened patch actually had some significant depth.

My wife had an '95 R1100R that burned absolutely no oil throughout her term of ownership, about 10,000 miles. The owner of today's bike asserted that,"They all do it." He indicated that he did have to top off between changes.

I find it hard to believe that a modern boxer necessarily uses oil in this manner. What can you tell me about this issue?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Allen

bdarling 03-11-2013 06:04 PM

Not to jump on the "they all do that" bandwagon, but my '95 R and my '95 GS both do (did) this. My R would smoke in the mornings and there was usually some soot around the exhaust between washings (about 3 months apart). The R had 65,000 miles when I sold it. My GS smokes a bit more than the R did and I can even smell it in my jacket after longer rides. I rarely wash the GS and there is quite a bit of soot on my panniers and exhaust. The GS has 95,000 miles. Bottom line, this might not be normal, but both bikes never exhibited any troubling symptoms related to blow-by. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that R if you like it.

Headhog 03-11-2013 06:19 PM

I have a 1998 R1100RT that is about to turn 42,000 miles. I've owned it for 3 years and it had 19,000 mi. when I got it. I does use some oil in between changes - maybe 16-24 oz. which is normal. There are no signs of oil residue in the exhaust and the plugs are clean with no oil signs either.

I think you'er right to be a bit concerned about the oil in the exhaust. It you are still thinking about buying this bike you might consider having it looked by a good BMW technician. It would be worth the investment upfront to have some piece of mind.

In my opinion, when I see a vehicle that is cosmetically in poor condition, I get the immediate feeling it may be the same for it's mechanical condition. It's the first impression thing I guess.:bmwrider

twinsig 03-11-2013 06:35 PM

my $2 (price changed from cents-dollars) pass it on

My 2002 1150 RT has 183k on the clock and uses 1qt in 5k miles, no oily tailpipe.
Usually add 1/3 qt every 1500 miles give or take. Depends on how froggy i get..
My advice? Move on!

def 03-11-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caucapon (Post 20921925)
Today I saw a '99 R1100R with an eye towards purchase. The bike had 43,000 miles on it. While it was a bit rough around the edges, I was initially inclined to go ahead with the purchase until I saw the tailpipe. It was black with oil. When I ran my finger along this spot it left a shiny fingerprint down the length of the blackened area. I could see that the oil blackened patch actually had some significant depth.

My wife had an '95 R1100R that burned absolutely no oil throughout her term of ownership, about 10,000 miles. The owner of today's bike asserted that,"They all do it." He indicated that he did have to top off between changes.

I find it hard to believe that a modern boxer necessarily uses oil in this manner. What can you tell me about this issue?

Allen

I would consider 43,000 miles low miles for this vintage boxer. As to the oil use, inquire of the owner how he rides the bike. If the bike gets lugged, it will put some oil into the exhaust. Higher RPMs tend to press the rings against the cylinder walls and reduce oil consumption.

If the engine has been an oiler since new, it was not properly ridden during the first 2-3000 miles. These engine once properly bedded in do not use oil. My 2001 never requires topping up. I change engine oil annually regardless of miles using Mobil1 15w-50.

def 03-11-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caucapon (Post 20921925)

Allen

What brand and grade of oil is the owner using?

Libertynh 03-30-2013 03:27 PM

Mine has about 21k now. Most of them mine. What the owner reports is consistent with my experience. I was also expecting no significant consumption but it seems this is not unusual with these engines. No real smoking or performance issues to date.

boxermoose 03-30-2013 07:35 PM

Did you get a sence whether the owner tended to baby the bike - or wring it's neck

Personally I believe that generation of R259 engine tended to carbon up if not wrung out on a regular basis

If it's reasonably cheap consider giving it a "water torture" treatment, change the oil and plugs and beat it for a week

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:05 PM.