ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Tailgating (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870100)

TeneRay 03-12-2013 04:34 PM

Tailgating

If I can read your VIN off your dashboard through my mirrors, you're too close, asshole.

Any remedies for dealing with cagers who apparently have troubles with depth perception?

Last thing I need is some f*ck-d*ck plowing over me in his sh*tty minivan because he was too busy admiring my "where I've been stickers" on my panniers while simultaneously hating his life because he drives a minivan.

250senuf 03-12-2013 04:49 PM

Nice vent.

Look on the bright side: You made it home to your keyboard.

I just pull over and let them go by, then follow at a safe distance (plus some) so I don't get caught up in their mayhem.

SOMA Man 03-12-2013 05:26 PM

Skene Design P3 Lights

Skene Design P3 lights are an excellent option. Obviously, the picture does not do them justice. A feature of the lights, the conspicuity flicker, can be very unpleasant for those who wish to follow too close. I have noticed that vehicles have backed off considerably since installing them.
http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Features.shtml

http://somaman.smugmug.com/Motorcycl.../L/image-L.jpg

gastone 03-12-2013 06:30 PM

I'm with the above two posters. I braked checked a tailgater only to have him pull up beside me and swerve into me and make contact with my bars...twice. Now I'm inclined to let them go by.

Contevita 03-12-2013 06:41 PM

I just gradually slow down, they eventually move over to the passing lane and pass me. But generally I don't have many tailgating fools on my ass, I'm usually well ahead of the pack or behind; I don't like riding in the middle of the pack, makes me feel unsafe.

TeneRay 03-12-2013 06:48 PM

A friend of mine had a great idea, albeit, he was in an SUV with a sunroof. He'd flick pennies through the sunroof so they'd plink off the tailgaters windshield. Never failed. Tailgaters had no clue what was hitting them and eventually backed off.

Andy Mc 03-12-2013 06:50 PM

Penny's from heaven!

+1! :clap

D_A 03-12-2013 06:57 PM

Anyone tailgating a bike deserves a brick through their windshield ... unfortunately that's rather illegal pretty much everywhere.

In the past I've either sped up suddenly and put a couple more cars between myself and them, or slowed down gradually assuming the don't just keep closing and try to mow me down, in which case they're more interested in their GPS display/mobile phone/stereo display/murdering me than driving anyway so it's back to option one. Flashing the brake lights, without actually slowing, usually seems to help but some just can't take a hint.

250senuf 03-12-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmgf7 (Post 20932095)
... He'd flick pennies through the sunroof so they'd plink off the tailgaters windshield. ..

Canada is doing away with pennies. Still legal tender, still flickable. But no more being made. :cry

Andy Mc 03-12-2013 07:30 PM

I've had good luck in the cage, squirting washer fluid over...

Works well for making the guys in the back of the truck quit banging on the cab, too!

duck 03-12-2013 07:42 PM

Several strategies that work well:

1) Flashing LED brake lights. Gets them to wake up.

2) Stand up for a short while. Don't know why this works but I learned it here and it's fairly effective.

3) Do some apparently random turns/swerves across your lane and back. Wakes them up and makes them think you're crazy/unpredictable.

Reverend12 03-12-2013 08:14 PM

Usually give them the stink eye with a head turn and they generally will get the message, if they are completely stupid, I'll make them pass me.

SoSlow 03-12-2013 08:34 PM

If I'm uncomfortable, I'll pull over, change lanes, or otherwise get out of the way. If there's room to accelerate a bit I'll do that, but I won't slow down - my first assumption is that anyone riding my butt is either half asleep or not paying attention.

KX50002 03-12-2013 10:45 PM

Had a guy behind me the other day, he was talking on his phone and almost hit me as he turned onto the road behind me. I pulled over and let him by,, at the next light he gives me the "what the fuck asshole" look and rolls his window down. "What, did ya think I was gonna hit you? I wasn't gonna hit you" I said "I figured your phone call musta been pretty important to you, so I got out of your way, don't take it personally but I'd like to make it home alive." He then goes on to say "at least I wasn't texting"

WTF??????/:fyyff:asshat

DOGSROOT 03-13-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 250senuf (Post 20932457)
Canada is doing away with pennies. Still legal tender, still flickable. But no more being made. :cry

I stopped accepting pennies when they cost 1.3 cents each to produce.

By the time they hit 1.6 cents each, the gov't finally saw the light.

You could always splurge and throw nickels at tailgaters.

Or be a cheapskate and import US pennies.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:44 PM.