ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Fitting on oil filter housing.. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870547)

pdxmotorhead 03-14-2013 10:58 AM

Fitting on oil filter housing..

I noticed on the front of the housing part of the case for the oil filter is a plug, In some dry sump systems on cars this is where I would put a oil pressure fitting? Filter pressure should be oil main pressure correct?

Theory's ? Thoughts?

Dave

Zuber 03-14-2013 10:57 PM

Have to check, but not so on this motor. The filter is before the oil pump and may be under suction. For a pressure sensor, why not Tee off the location of the factory pressure switch?

pdxmotorhead 03-15-2013 12:18 AM

Cause the oil pump fitting is easy to get at.. :)

I was going to use the pressure sender port with a T,, but while changing my oil got to looking at that fitting.. I hope the filter is after the supply pump like most engines,, suction on a paper filter is bad..

Cheers
Dave

Orangecicle 03-15-2013 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead (Post 20951333)
suction on a paper filter is bad..

Which is a good reason to run a Scott's! :evil

DirtyADV 03-15-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead (Post 20951333)

. I hope the filter is after the supply pump like most engines,, suction on a paper filter is bad..

Would guess its suction since the filter collapse if restricted cause of water contamination.

/Johan

pdxmotorhead 03-15-2013 05:29 PM

Could be either,, if its under pressure,, its pressure from the outside in,, so it would collapse when the water fouled the element.

Hopefully I am past that problem for a while with the new CJ kit in there! :)

DAve

Masa 03-16-2013 12:12 AM

Pressure pump is before the filter and oil flows from outside to inside of filter.

Oil pressure taken from the filter housing wouldn't inform about clogged filter - right?

pdxmotorhead 03-16-2013 12:23 AM

I figured if you check it with a new filter and the filter water fouls the pressure should climb letting you know its plugged..

But on thinking on it,, it may just dump all the oil out the relieve valve.. Hmm.

Dave

gefr 03-16-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead (Post 20959174)
I figured if you check it with a new filter and the filter water fouls the pressure should climb letting you know its plugged..

But on thinking on it,, it may just dump all the oil out the relieve valve.. Hmm.

Dave

Relieve valve? is there a relieve valve?

Masa 03-16-2013 05:01 AM

I suppose you would get higher pressure on low rpms, before the pressure regulator's working window.

You could tap the line for the gauge to either of the cam tensioner bolts, as others have done.

pdxmotorhead 03-16-2013 03:36 PM

Ok,, I admit it,, I'm a gauge freak.. So I have a new more better idea for that port, I'm going to use it for an Oil Temp guage.. and put a T on the pressure sensor (Factory location) for the pressure guage..

Eventually I'll have, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Exhaust temp, Cyl head temp. Via a single quad display, havnt decided on needles or digital yet... Its a sickness..

Dave

Katoom72 03-16-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead (Post 20962651)
Ok,, I admit it,, I'm a gauge freak.. So I have a new more better idea for that port, I'm going to use it for an Oil Temp guage.. and put a T on the pressure sensor (Factory location) for the pressure guage..

Eventually I'll have, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Exhaust temp, Cyl head temp. Via a single quad display, havnt decided on needles or digital yet... Its a sickness..

Dave

Damn, is that some catchy virus or something? :huh

pdxmotorhead 03-17-2013 11:29 AM

I don't know,, I guess its a racing thing,, I maintain track cars for other people on the side, while I don't tune with them knowing all the temps and pressures has helped me head off bad things before they happen..

Now I feel like I forgot something if I don't know the voltage, oil pressure etc..

Cheers..

Dave

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:00 PM.