ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battle scooters (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Around the US, 9,000 mile journey (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871814)

JoelScootDude 03-18-2013 07:35 PM

Around the US, 9,000 mile journey

Hello everyone:

This is my first post so it might as well be an introduction ( didnt see an introduction forum section).

I'm Joel. I travel about 60 to 70 miles a day on my scooter, and somedays about 100. I go on weekend trips all the time. I ride to scooter rallies all over the East coast. I've been riding scooters for 4 years, and accumulated well over 100,000 miles in that time.

I currently own a Piaggio Fly 150. It now has over 21,000 miles and I bought it last April. not even 1 year ago.

Last year, I took a crazy ride ( on the highway) from Orlando FL, to Lake Geneva Wisconsin for an event Called "Amerivespa" . It is the biggest scooter convention/rally in the US. over 4 days long. I rode up there trough the highway system, 1300 miles, took me 2.5 days. In that time I saw more of this country I had ever seen in my life and been the furthest away from home I've ever been. Many many stories came from that trip, along with a severe injury after i crashed into an SUV at 55mph, fractured my wrist and 6 fractures in my ankle. But overall great.

This year I will be going around the US. Originally was going to the upper most east corner of Canada, then shorted it to Maine before going to PA, just north of Philly. the reason is I have a job.

The trip will go from Orlando, trough Atlanta, then trough the tail of the dragon, up the Blue Ridge parkway, then Skyline Drive, down to Washington DC, then up to PA.

After PA I haven't figured out which is the best way to go to Wisconsin. Headed to Lake Geneva.

From Lake Geneva, going west trough Route 14, along the Mississippi, to Minnesota, then west.

Have not figured out the best most scenic way from Minnesota to Seattle. I know I want to go to Glacier Mountain and Road to the Sun.

Then down from Seattle, trough the Continental Divide, trough the Volcanic Scenic Byway, down trough Oregon, to California. Possibly taking a Detour to San Francisco, then heading south to LA, then to San Diego where the event is.

From there, to the Sequoia forest, and Yosemite Park. then trough Las Vegas, Hoover dam, then to Utah, see some wild canyons, then east trough the great plains, then back home from there.

Any Route Suggestions are greatly welcomed.

I'm also building a trailer, completely road equipped, and over designed and overbuilt, yet lightweight and versatile. I keep a blog with information, pictures and updates. You can check it out at:

www.ScooteristBlog.com

Also if you like my page on facebook then whenever there is a blog article you will see it + pictures.

www.Facebook.com/TheScooteristBlog

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...ps5385d25b.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...51709196_n.jpg

damasovi 03-18-2013 08:06 PM

Joel! when you come to San Diego if you have a passport go further south just to make it a 3 flag ride! why not? I will buy you tacos and beer on this side! and will even make sure you get back safely!

Cheers!! I will be reading!!

Damasovi

sealsam 03-18-2013 08:32 PM

Outstanding!

:lurk This is gunna be fun to watch unfold.

Be sure to post up here on ADV.

Good luck on this undertaking.

gumshoe4 03-18-2013 08:39 PM

I love it when people tour on scooters. It's so far outside the way we think here about motorcycles that it discombobulates the "normal" bikers and scares the horses.

I'm heading north again this summer, but this is about you, not me. Congratulations on the undertaking. Have the time of your life and post up here sometimes to let us know how it's going....

:ricky

chazbird 03-18-2013 09:43 PM

FWIW: If you stray off course by 90 miles for some reason I live in Oakland, 10 miles from SF. If you're interested I have nice little secluded/private off street garden-lawn to camp on and you can use the house for food and showers for a day or two.

DaBinChe 03-18-2013 11:18 PM

Damn dude you ride your scoot more then me! When you get to the SouthBayArea look me up.

JerryH 03-18-2013 11:57 PM

Wow. That was some trip. way beyond my ability, but I'm 54 with medical issues. A recent 700 mile trip, on a Zuma 125, just about did me in. and I thought I was doing good with 24,000 miles on my Vino 125 in 4 1/2 years (I do ride several other bikes)

So the big question I have is, did you actually ride that Fly 150 on the highway? A big part of the reason I can't get anywhere is because my 125cc scooters are not highway legal. I have ridden them on the highway, but was totally paranoid of getting stopped by the cops. Did you run into any problems (besides the accident (ouch!) because of the size of your scooter? Hope you took some pictures and wrote down some details. That is one of the most impressive scooter trips I have ever heard of.

andoulli 03-19-2013 06:16 AM

Amazing first post. Look forward to reading about your trip.

Jnich77 03-19-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andoulli (Post 20982155)
Amazing first post. Look forward to reading about your trip.

Have fun once you get out west, might wanna carry a bit of extra fuel...

BTW: I'm from Orlando, let me know if ya need a hand setting things up.. I am always down to help fuel road trip madness!!!

Squidward 03-19-2013 08:54 AM

You're a Stud

Aside from the obvious coolness of his post, it says something about the quality of the Piaggio Fly 150.

cdwise 03-19-2013 10:25 AM

Hey Joel, I believe we met at Amerivespa. Didn't you have a bit of an adventure just getting there on your Fly?

I'd offer a place to park in Colorado but you aren't even going to be close to our place. See you at Amerivespa in San Diego. I'll be riding out from Colorado again. BTW, you maybe able to hook up with some of the northern California crowd for the ride down to San Diego. There's a thread or two over on the Rally forum on Amerivespa where folks are making plans.

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing of your trip. I just rode our Sports City back from San Diego to Houston following much of the Scooter Canonball route from 2012. You may want to look at it since it has good roads for 250cc and smaller scoots. Note, there is a Piaggio dealership in Prescott, AZ with a very helpful owner if you need anything in that area.

cbolling 03-19-2013 10:37 AM

Can't wait to follow along.

Just did the facebook thing so I can follow there.

Have fun.:clap

JoelScootDude 03-19-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chazbird (Post 20980612)
FWIW: If you stray off course by 90 miles for some reason I live in Oakland, 10 miles from SF. If you're interested I have nice little secluded/private off street garden-lawn to camp on and you can use the house for food and showers for a day or two.

Will consider. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBinChe (Post 20980933)
Damn dude you ride your scoot more then me! When you get to the SouthBayArea look me up.

I will try, Route planning still in progress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryH (Post 20981044)
So the big question I have is, did you actually ride that Fly 150 on the highway? A big part of the reason I can't get anywhere is because my 125cc scooters are not highway legal. I have ridden them on the highway, but was totally paranoid of getting stopped by the cops. Did you run into any problems (besides the accident (ouch!) because of the size of your scooter? Hope you took some pictures and wrote down some details. That is one of the most impressive scooter trips I have ever heard of.

I did, there's a big thread with missing pictures in a forum called ModernVespa.com, but i'm banned.
Amerivespa 2012 Story

1) Yes rode it in the highway all the way there and back. No more. ride it every day on the highway here locally, no probs, just dangerous. All you need is more than 5hp and able to maintain 40mph to be on highway legally!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jnich77 (Post 20982702)
Have fun once you get out west, might wanna carry a bit of extra fuel...

BTW: I'm from Orlando, let me know if ya need a hand setting things up.. I am always down to help fuel road trip madness!!!

Well I hang out with the Orlando Scooter Society check out the forum. I will be this weekend in downtown for the Scooters4Hooters event. my scooter will have a sign about the trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidward (Post 20983420)
Aside from the obvious coolness of his post, it says something about the quality of the Piaggio Fly 150.

I bought this scooter because I ride so much and ran out of patience fixing my 50cc 2stroke Derbi Atlantis. I've seen another Fly with 103,000 miles, so we'll see if I get there. Piaggio/Vespa are the best scooters, but pricey$$$$

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdwise (Post 20984199)
Hey Joel, I believe we met at Amerivespa. Didn't you have a bit of an adventure just getting there on your Fly?

I'd offer a place to park in Colorado but you aren't even going to be close to our place. See you at Amerivespa in San Diego. I'll be riding out from Colorado again. BTW, you maybe able to hook up with some of the northern California crowd for the ride down to San Diego. There's a thread or two over on the Rally forum on Amerivespa where folks are making plans.

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing of your trip. I just rode our Sports City back from San Diego to Houston following much of the Scooter Canonball route from 2012. You may want to look at it since it has good roads for 250cc and smaller scoots. Note, there is a Piaggio dealership in Prescott, AZ with a very helpful owner if you need anything in that area.

Route planning in progress so I might detour, I dont know yet. also thanks for the info i will need a new belt rollers and tire when i get to San Diego, so I'll be searching by then.

thanks to All for the Great Support, I will keep checking for messages and post, I want to inspire people to ride!

Jnich77 03-19-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelScootDude (Post 20985647)
Well I hang out with the Orlando Scooter Society check out the forum. I will be this weekend in downtown for the Scooters4Hooters event. my scooter will have a sign about the trip.

With I could, headed to Daytona for the weekend: http://www.daytonabeachcarshows.com/...ring-car-show/

hexnut 03-19-2013 03:34 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about being banned at modern vespa.

This says it all

http://wickedscholar.wordpress.com/tag/modern-vespa/

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:13 AM.