ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hacks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   NYC to Houston. In West Virginia. Hear a hissing sounds. Uh oh. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873001)

Praxguy 03-23-2013 01:36 PM

NYC to Houston. In West Virginia. Hear a hissing sounds. Uh oh.

Hi guys, it's not time to post my ride report yet.

I've been riding down from NYC to Houston and everything seems fine. I don't notice any loss of power so far on the ural.

But when I rev 3rd gear high, I hear a lot of hissing and a high pitch. Like I said, nothing wrong so far, but I want to get it checked ASAP. Any ural experts on the way from WV to Houston who could help me out? I'm a paying customer of course!

Oh and I tried hit a few of you up for a place to stay along the way, but no luck from the tent space list. No worries, empty state parks are fine with me ;)http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/24/5a7uma5y.jpg

Railbender 03-23-2013 04:43 PM

Your best bet is probably Heindl Engineering in Eaton OH (just west of Dayton). Excellent dealer and nice people.
http://www.heindlengineering.com/

:freaky

riderddonald 03-23-2013 08:00 PM

We have a heated garage and an extra room in Marietta , Oh on the Ohio river if you decide to head to Dayton we're onthe way. PM me if you want.

Wolfgang55 03-24-2013 06:29 AM

Might make a difference

Try doing the same gear shifting w/o your helmet.

Not suggesting your make this a habit but I do it when trying to get a better study on a mystery sound.

Have you relocated some of your cargo, during your trip ? Wind wipping in & out of objects can make sounds. Have you snugged the exhaust header nuts ?
Check fluid levels or at least for wet spots at underside.

Do not know your route, but my BRO is in NE FL, has a great pasture or a bed/bath up stairs & way to many tools for one guy....fact some of them are mine.

Ride smart

Praxguy 03-24-2013 08:23 AM

Honestly it doesn't sound bad guys. I think I'll be alright til I get to the nice guys at Sealy TX who service urals. I tried the guy in Red Lion PA and actually drove there only to get no response from him which I thought is a pretty bad sign.

riderddonald 03-24-2013 09:06 AM

Well have a safe trip and hopefully nothing seriously wrong with the Ural. Hope you get to better weather soon.

MartyL 03-25-2013 06:44 AM

Urals make lots of strange noises at different times. A,"Hissing" sound like air leak I would check compliance fittings, branch pipes to carbs and air box, and vacuum tube from petcock to left carb. A leak from these areas are also associated with an idle rise with a fully broken in rig. Get some WD 40 and at idle spray compliance fittings. If idle rises that is where air leak is. Don't let this go if you have a determined air leak or you could hole a piston. Also post on Soviet Steeds.com and you'll find all the info and assistance you could need. Happy trails...

RidingDonkeys 03-25-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyL (Post 21028024)
Get some WD 40 and at idle spray compliance fittings. If idle rises that is where air leak is. Don't let this go if you have a determined air leak or you could hole a piston. Also post on Soviet Steeds.com and you'll find all the info and assistance you could need. Happy trails...

THIS! Compliance fittings are easy to diagnose and are common to fail.

Bar None 03-26-2013 09:25 PM

Praxguy,
What the status of your hissing sound? Update on your trip,please.

XL-erate 03-26-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praxguy (Post 21021369)
Honestly it doesn't sound bad guys. I think I'll be alright til I get to the nice guys at Sealy TX who service urals. I tried the guy in Red Lion PA and actually drove there only to get no response from him which I thought is a pretty bad sign.

You're kidding!? Here you are out on the road, alone on a long haul trip from NYC to Houston, Texas, in the middle of the trip have a problem with a new Ural and the DEALER/SERVICE REP WOULDN'T HELP!?

If you post the name and location I'll sure as hell write him one smoking hot letter to tell him what I think of him, his whole family and all his scum-sucking ancestors! Post the details and I'll complain to Ural too! If I lived closer I'd seriously consider some cosmetic adjustment of his lower jaw but I'm in Cali.

RidingDonkeys 03-27-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XL-erate (Post 21043028)
You're kidding!? Here you are out on the road, alone on a long haul trip from NYC to Houston, Texas, in the middle of the trip have a problem with a new Ural and the DEALER/SERVICE REP WOULDN'T HELP!?

If you post the name and location I'll sure as hell write him one smoking hot letter to tell him what I think of him, his whole family and all his scum-sucking ancestors! Post the details and I'll complain to Ural too! If I lived closer I'd seriously consider some cosmetic adjustment of his lower jaw but I'm in Cali.

Actually, the old dealer in Red Lion is no longer listed as a Ural dealer on the IMZ website. That might be your answer right there.

XL-erate 03-27-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys (Post 21044199)
Actually, the old dealer in Red Lion is no longer listed as a Ural dealer on the IMZ website. That might be your answer right there.

Aha, yes, you might be right! You can only fool so many of the people for so long before the jig is up...

Praxguy 04-05-2013 10:59 AM

Hi guys sorry for taking so long to reply. So the status of the airy-hissing is still there. But be bike got me to Houston in 6 days with no issues. I went ahead and finally took her to the Sealy TX ural mechanic to get her serviced. She was leaking quite a bit of oil by the time I got here, so he said is with a valve cover.

I'm not an expert in these issues so I really don't know. Another thing that happened to me on the trip was the running lights and overall electrical system kept coming on and off. Sometimes all the running lights would work and sometimes just the bike and sometimes just the sidecar. Right now the bike itself has no running or stopping light.

He said he will check the whole bike out, listen for problems and fix the electrical issue. I think he's gonna tell me that the motor is just loud like that, but he already suggested that I upgrade to the herzog gears as a he said it will extend the overall life of my motor (since I really don't see myself selling this thing ever)

Praxguy 04-05-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XL-erate (Post 21043028)

Thanks man but seriously I am a guy who believes in peace. I lost about a days worth of riding going from NYC to red lion, and I did think it was inappropriate for him never to call me back but so is life.

The Sealy TX guy is British and seemed very knowledgable and extremely nice. So I made it here, and just making sure in the next week that the bike is good to go as my main vehicle here in Houston!

airspro 04-05-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praxguy (Post 21115945)
Thanks man but seriously I am a guy who believes in peace. I lost about a days worth of riding going from NYC to red lion, and I did think it was inappropriate for him never to call me back but so is life.

The Sealy TX guy is British and seemed very knowledgable and extremely nice. So I made it here, and just making sure in the next week that the bike is good to go as my main vehicle here in Houston!

Sounds good , first I seen this post , if you or anyone in else needs a camping spot in Mid Michigan , give me a shout . I live just 34 miles North of Lansing , Michigan .

best
spro

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:21 PM.