ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Americas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Request Info for Idaho, Montana, Wyoming! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873025)

AL "FLYING CANUCK" 03-23-2013 02:56 PM

Request Info for Idaho, Montana, Wyoming!
 
Good day

I will be riding in Idaho, Montana and Northern Wyoming coming from South Dakota for a week in the middle of June on my way to Calgary and I was wondering in some of you could recommend some nice scenic back roads (gravel, mountain pass or others...)...nothing too extreme....

I am riding a Super Tenere on TKC front and K60 rear.....

Also I will need some service and tires replacement around Missoula so if you could recommend a good Yamaha dealer, this will be much appreciated...

Thanks in advance....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857109

byways 03-23-2013 06:57 PM

Mobius in the last year is a gold mine.

Dockingpilot's "Forever West" report is among the best ride reports ever on ADV ...

... with the possible exception of his Idaho ride report, which is packed with great information about the greatest ADV state.

davek181 03-23-2013 07:13 PM

If you are heading west from Missoula The Lolo pass is a good curvy road that kinda follows Lewis & Clark's journey.

If you make it to Lewiston at the end of the Lolo trail, a trip up the Spiral highway is recommended.

At the bottom of the Lewiston hill, do not take 95 North. Continue west on 128 about one mile and then turn North on the Spiral Highway. Not an interchange, just a stop sign at the bottom and top. It does meet up with 95 at the top of the hill so it is a logical detour.

drrod1 03-23-2013 07:27 PM

Yamaha dealer in kalispell has good selection tires and gave good service for a friend who was stranded.
http://www.pencoadventures.com/

Rod

AL "FLYING CANUCK" 03-23-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byways (Post 21018631)
Mobius in the last year is a gold mine.

Dockingpilot's "Forever West" report is among the best ride reports ever on ADV ...

... with the possible exception of his Idaho ride report, which is packed with great information about the greatest ADV state.

Thanks....very interesting stuff!!!!

AL "FLYING CANUCK" 03-23-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davek181 (Post 21018731)
If you are heading west from Missoula The Lolo pass is a good curvy road that kinda follows Lewis & Clark's journey.

If you make it to Lewiston at the end of the Lolo trail, a trip up the Spiral highway is recommended.

I was looking at making it to Lewiston from Missoula before going back up North towards Sandpoint......

I will check that out for sure!

Cheers

AL "FLYING CANUCK" 03-23-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drrod1 (Post 21018802)
Yamaha dealer in kalispell has good selection tires and gave good service for a friend who was stranded.
http://www.pencoadventures.com/

Rod

Thanks Rod!

AL "FLYING CANUCK" 03-24-2013 04:51 AM

My itinerary start to shape up as follow:

1. Black Hills;
2. Bighorn National Forest;
3. Yellowstone National Park;
4. Boulder Mountains;
5. Cleanwater National Forest;
6. Glacier Park; and
7. the Rockies up to Banff/Calgary...

I am looking as many back roads as possible between these points within the time that I have available......8-10 days....

Cheers

rjzinc 03-24-2013 08:06 AM

Lolo Pass Motorway
 
Lolo Motorway is highly recommended for your ride. While the Lolo Pass (Hwy 12) is a scenic paved ride, the Lolo Motorway is the Forest Road off-road/dirt trail you are looking for.

http://www.nps.gov/nepe/historycultu...l-and-pass.htm

"...Visitors can retrace the route that the Nez Perce took over the Bitterroot Mountains in 1877 on U.S. Highway 12 or on a primitive dirt road known as the Lolo Motorway (Forest Road 500). A visitor center complex located at Lolo Pass. The rest area is open twenty-four hours a day. The visitor center is open seven days a week from mid-May through mid-September from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm (PDT). Call (208) 942-1234 for more information..."

drrod1 03-24-2013 08:32 AM

To get from Glacier to Banff, take #40 North from Coleman to Canmore. Gravel from Coleman to junction with road coming from Longview. Nice ride and scenery.
Rod

AL "FLYING CANUCK" 03-24-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjzinc (Post 21021276)
Lolo Motorway is highly recommended for your ride. While the Lolo Pass (Hwy 12) is a scenic paved ride, the Lolo Motorway is the Forest Road off-road/dirt trail you are looking for.

http://www.nps.gov/nepe/historycultu...l-and-pass.htm

This is perfect! I will definitely take the Lolo trail from Hwy 12!!!

Merci!

AL "FLYING CANUCK" 03-24-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drrod1 (Post 21021424)
To get from Glacier to Banff, take #40 North from Coleman to Canmore. Gravel from Coleman to junction with road coming from Longview. Nice ride and scenery.
Rod

Well note and appreciate!!!

Cheers!

sorebutt 03-24-2013 09:13 PM

Generally you can't get into the high country before early July. The Lolo Motorway will probably be closed with snow and windfalls in mid June. It only takes one shady corner to stop you with snow.

Check out the Hell's Canyon thread in the Northwest region. It is a group of inmates that get together and ride some great areas around Hell's Canyon. It is out of Enterprise, OR., which is about 100 miles from Lewiston. It is June 20.

AL "FLYING CANUCK" 03-25-2013 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorebutt (Post 21026366)
Generally you can't get into the high country before early July. The Lolo Motorway will probably be closed with snow and windfalls in mid June. It only takes one shady corner to stop you with snow.

Check out the Hell's Canyon thread in the Northwest region. It is a group of inmates that get together and ride some great areas around Hell's Canyon. It is out of Enterprise, OR., which is about 100 miles from Lewiston. It is June 20.

I should be in Idaho around the 19-21 June.

Thanks much, I will try to get a sit rep on the Lolo Motorway conditions in June and also check out the Hell's Canyon event .....

AL "FLYING CANUCK" 03-26-2013 04:42 PM

My itinerary start to take shape with some changes still to come!

Basically I will be travelling alone from the 15-23 June (road in red) and meet with my wife at the Calgary airport and spend 2 weeks with her in the Canadian Rockies (blue) before coming back home in Quebec around the 08 July (green)...

I used to work in Calgary in the 80's and did quite a bit of adventure riding with my good old R80GS......

After all these years I can't wait to show her some of the Rockies ..... I will be riding my ST1200XTZ.

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps25f751c5.jpg

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps3f8d472b.jpg

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/z...psa42f7152.jpg

Cheers


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014