ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alaska (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   belgium/alaska (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873537)

hannes vg 03-25-2013 01:49 PM

belgium/alaska
 
hello,

about one year ago i started to ride a motorcycle.
from the first minute on it i was hooked.
i could not believe i waited so long to buy a motorcycle.
words cannot describe the feeling i get when i'm on my bike, just riding in to nowhere.

a couple of months ago, i got the opportunity to quite my job for 3 months.
after some short thinking i decided to go to canada and alaska.
the 2 country's on my to see list.
trying to ship my own bike to canada was to expensive.
so with the help from an adv inmate i bought a bike 2003 klr650.

i'm flying 5 may to calgary to pick up the bike.
normally i'm riding alaska in june and july.
from haines to tok, tok to valdez, valdez taking a ferry to whittier, whittier to denali and back to the yukon

i'm trying to camp as much as possible to keep the cost low.
i'm pretty much a noob (first big trip on a motorcycle)
so tips are mor than welcome.
nice campsites, place's i must see.

would you recommend the ferry crossing from valdez to whittier?
somewhere along the trip i'm gonna have to change my chain and sprocket. i'll be carrying one with me but i have never done it before.
are there a lot of motorcycle shops along the way that could help me with that?

thanks
greetings from belgium

Beezer 03-25-2013 03:27 PM

try to plan on Dawson for D2D.... June 20

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830583

there will be plenty of advise on camp spots & sights... I'll start with the 2 biggies.... McCarthy/Kennecot mine & Denali Highway. ferry to Whittier.... meh... maybe.

you'll also find help working on your bike pretty much anywhere. we can change the chain in Dawson if need be or do it in Anchorage (800k) if you are coming that way.

Beezer 04-13-2013 08:45 PM

bump... all the advice yous guys got & nuttin for this poor belgie?

TonyTooTall 04-13-2013 09:52 PM

I just picked up a KLR650 too, i live in Anchorage, Keep in touch when you get towards Valdez, I will totally meet up with you and keep you company for a bit. Outside of Valdez is the road to McCarthy and the Kennicott mine/Glacier. Google it, really beautiful, its a 60 mile ride down a dirt road, use to be dirt been years since i have been there, But worth a look if your in no particular hurry. And your more than welcome to crash on our couch and use the garage if need be. Cheers, Tony.

RichAK 04-13-2013 10:50 PM

+1 on the trip to McCarthy. The ferry to Whittier is well worth it with the wildlife and glaciers. There is a high speed and a low speed ferry so take the slow one to spend more time on the water. Free transit through the Whittier tunnel traveling east to west. From Portage it's a nice 80 miles to Seward. There is a good thread with advice for traveling AK in this section.

Alaskahack 04-14-2013 08:28 AM

+2 on McCarthy and the ferry to Whittier
Take your time bring a good camera and a bunch of SD cards

And have fun, keep posting and when you get closer we all can meet up

Drunk_Uncle 04-14-2013 02:30 PM

I'm in on a ride McCarthy road if it times out to be a weekend ride.

hannes vg 04-15-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichAK (Post 21180969)
+1 on the trip to McCarthy. The ferry to Whittier is well worth it with the wildlife and glaciers. There is a high speed and a low speed ferry so take the slow one to spend more time on the water. Free transit through the Whittier tunnel traveling east to west. From Portage it's a nice 80 miles to Seward. There is a good thread with advice for traveling AK in this section.




thanks for the advice.
do you know how long the slow ferry takes to get to whittier?

thanks
greetings belgium

RichAK 04-15-2013 10:38 AM

Six and a half hours compared to three and a half. Checking the Alaska Marine Highway website will give you lots more info. Happy trails!

Ducati7444 05-11-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannes vg (Post 21031236)
hello,

about one year ago i started to ride a motorcycle.
from the first minute on it i was hooked.
i could not believe i waited so long to buy a motorcycle.
words cannot describe the feeling i get when i'm on my bike, just riding in to nowhere.

a couple of months ago, i got the opportunity to quite my job for 3 months.
after some short thinking i decided to go to canada and alaska.
the 2 country's on my to see list.
trying to ship my own bike to canada was to expensive.
so with the help from an adv inmate i bought a bike 2003 klr650.

i'm flying 5 may to calgary to pick up the bike.
normally i'm riding alaska in june and july.
from haines to tok, tok to valdez, valdez taking a ferry to whittier, whittier to denali and back to the yukon

i'm trying to camp as much as possible to keep the cost low.
i'm pretty much a noob (first big trip on a motorcycle)
so tips are mor than welcome.
nice campsites, place's i must see.

would you recommend the ferry crossing from valdez to whittier?
somewhere along the trip i'm gonna have to change my chain and sprocket. i'll be carrying one with me but i have never done it before.
are there a lot of motorcycle shops along the way that could help me with that?

thanks
greetings from belgium

Hi,

Orignaly from Belgium too (Liege) and will be riding from NC to Dead Horse from June 16th to end of Jully....let see if our roads cross and we will drink few beers and put dead meat on the fire...

hannes vg 06-24-2013 01:58 PM

valdez
 
hi,

i'm in valdez today and taking the ferry to whittier tomorow.
anyone got some advice for whittier? just drive trough it or.....?
place to go?
after the whittier i'm going to seward.
gonna drive some backroads in valdes today maybe the kennicot trail.

the wheater is just so great, amazing here!!!!

OneTraveller 06-24-2013 02:15 PM

The only way out of Whittier is through a shared railway tunnel. They stagger the openings for vehicle and rail traffic, but it's pretty simple, just don't ride into the railtrack. There really isn't much to see in Whittier, although the Ferry ride should be spectacular if the weather stays nice.

Glad you are enjoying the trip.

Mike

AKoffroader 06-24-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannes vg (Post 21715817)
hi,

i'm in valdez today and taking the ferry to whittier tomorow.
anyone got some advice for whittier? just drive trough it or.....?
place to go?
after the whittier i'm going to seward.
gonna drive some backroads in valdes today maybe the kennicot trail.

the wheater is just so great, amazing here!!!!

If you're down around Kenai, I've got a guest cabin if you need a place to stay. (907) 242-0078 cell

Greg

Full Power 06-25-2013 12:36 PM

Free Camping in Homer.
... Guest shack is empty at the moment...
KLR maintenance facilities as well.
give a call when you get close to town.
.
. sent ya a PM with telephone.
Cheers.

Full Power 06-26-2013 04:58 PM

If you roll in town LATE, and I am closed, you are welcome to park, and pitch tent anywhere around the Full Power shop..
Off Ocean drive, on the way out to the SPIT, it will be on your left, North side of road.
little green metal building, yellow sign by the road, Blue ugly dodge flatbed pickup right next to road.
.
. Try the " Little Mermaid " on the spit for dinner or snack, little tiny shop, boardwalk on the east side of spit.
Tell Evin that Full Power sent ya....
. I will look for you in the morning.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014