ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help, FD won't connect. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875015)

Monsignore 03-31-2013 12:49 PM

Help, FD won't connect.

(Bike is '05 R1200GS, 58,000miles)

I thought today would be a nice service day: change FD oil & lube splines, replace rear brake rotor and pads, test ride all before the rain set in.

Nope.

FD oil drained, splines lubed, and that's where I'm stuck. I've been struggling for the past 3 hours to get my FD and driveshaft splines to align. I can get the FD side to just start to connect with the drive shaft, but then the corner of the FD gets caught in the mouth of the shaft. I've tried brute strength, banging on FD housing with a rubber mallet, I even bought a ratcheting tie-down to try to slowly force it in. All to no avail.

Right now the bike is on the street with the FD held up by the tie-down, it's gonna rain soon, I work until 2:30 tomorrow, MaxBMW is closed tomorrow, and I go out of town Tuesday thru Saturday.

Am I missing something, is there an easy way I'm not seeing? I'm proper fooked, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

whisperquiet 03-31-2013 12:57 PM

Try putting the transmission in gear to keep the driveshaft from turning.

WoodButcher 03-31-2013 01:34 PM

Pull the rubber boot off and put it together a couple of times. With the boot off you can see what you are doing and learn the trick. Then put the boot back on and put it together one last time.

Kingsized 03-31-2013 01:40 PM

Don't try and force it. When it aligns it will slide in. The last time I serviced my final drive I had the same problem. It only took me about 30 minutes but I had an extra set of hands. Walk away from it for a bit. We didn't find an exact solution, it just finally slid in after rotating the rear tire and playing with the transmission. Not much help I know.

Jorik 03-31-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whisperquiet (Post 21076498)
Try putting the transmission in gear to keep the driveshaft from turning.

This + try to hold shaft straight by screwdriver inserted into u-joint.

Monsignore 03-31-2013 02:32 PM

:baldy

I tried fitting the parts without the boot. Nope.

In gear. Nope.

In neutral. Nope.

Screwdriver in U-joint. Nope.

Various combinations of the above. Nope.

Even when I could align both parts by hand without the boot, and was fairly certain I had flange and groove matched, there would be no movement. It's like the receiving end suddenly shrunk by a minute amount. :becca

:dog

JimVonBaden 03-31-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodButcher (Post 21076674)
Pull the rubber boot off and put it together a couple of times. With the boot off you can see what you are doing and learn the trick. Then put the boot back on and put it together one last time.

:nod That is how I do it. If you lower it gently and add the boot, it usually goes right back on.

Jim :brow

JimVonBaden 03-31-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsignore (Post 21076980)
:baldy

I tried fitting the parts without the boot. Nope.

In gear. Nope.

In neutral. Nope.

Screwdriver in U-joint. Nope.

Various combinations of the above. Nope.

Even when I could align both parts by hand without the boot, and was fairly certain I had flange and groove matched, there would be no movement. It's like the receiving end suddenly shrunk by a minute amount. :becca

:dog

Go have a beer and relax. When you start again it will fir right on!:lol3

Some people find using a rag under the shaft to hold it up a bit helps. Just make sure the rag has a part hanging out to the side so you can pull it out when done.

Jim :brow

orgo 03-31-2013 07:14 PM

Don't use force or rubber mallet. If it's aligned it'll slip on. be patient

def 03-31-2013 08:06 PM

Does that model have a phasing spline which requires rotational alignment?

FlyingFinn 03-31-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by def (Post 21079224)
Does that model have a phasing spline which requires rotational alignment?

No.

LaurelPerryOnLand 03-31-2013 08:44 PM

Per Jim Von Baden's Tech Pictorial:

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_Final_Drive.html

Step 8 says...
"8. Install the rubber gaitor, pivot the rear-wheel drive up and introduce the bevel-pinion shaft into the universal drive shaft. If necessary, turn the FD gently back and forth to facilitate this operation. (This is made way easier if you have the bike in neutral.) I took half an hour to figure this out, and it still took a few minutes). Also, if you are having trouble, pull the gaiter off and test fit it, then reinstall the gaiter and it will go on easier."

Here's a trick I discovered: (variation of the ole SUPPORT THE SHAFT WITH A SCREWDRIVER when assembling):

I make a U-shaped stainless wire and loop it UNDER the "universal drive shaft".
Open part of the U at the TOP.
This makes it EASY to adjust the mating shaft...LEFT or RIGHT...UP or DOWN.

Once you've got it initially mated...PULL the wire out.

Yeah...takes us ALL about an hour to figure this critter out...so don't be so hard on yourself.:huh

Like a previous posters idea of having a beer break! :freaky

Sometimes...starting a project on a NEW day also helps.

Good luck.

trc.rhubarb 03-31-2013 08:58 PM

I find it best if you set the driveshaft up so it hinges vertically without binding at all. Drop it nearly straight down and lift gently.
Did it not fit before or after the banging and ratchet strap? Hard to believe you could damage the splines but you might check for burrs now.

Got a friend nearby? They don't need anything but a couple extra fingers to help you with. Even a pissed off wife/girlfriend will work.

kk3an 04-01-2013 12:08 AM

Having done this many times personally, I agree 100% with trc.rhubarb....it sounds as if the final drive is not being introduced perfectly flush to the shaft. Perhaps apply grease to the initial contacting surfaces, and try to introduce both at as close to a 1:1 as possible.

bobbybob 04-01-2013 07:26 AM

Any chance the front splines are pulled back from the transmission output shaft?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:21 PM.