ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Looking for route advice: Las Vegas to Reno via US95 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875449)

dirty_t 04-01-2013 06:08 PM

Looking for route advice: Las Vegas to Reno via US95
 
I'm going to be heading up US95 from Las Vegas to Reno in two weeks on a GS. I see on the map lots of unpaved roads, and while I would love to give some of them a try, I am going to be travelling solo, and really don't want to get in over my head.

Default route is just to stay on US 95. If anyone has any tips on some of those side roads, though, please let me know.

Also, probably going to stop in Tonopah for night - accomo recs?

Thanks for any ideas/tips. Gonna be a fun ride.

RocknTroll 04-01-2013 08:33 PM

I remember 266 to 168 into Big Pine being a pretty good ride, but from Vegas get gas between. Bishop got a bunch of motels, just north of Big Pine. Haven't stayed at any though got nothin else...

scorpion 04-01-2013 08:45 PM

95 not 395 :deal

scorpion 04-01-2013 11:23 PM

There is more than a few options and a whole lot of nuthin out there.
The Vegas to Reno race goes that way and theres been a few RRs of thd area. maybe someone who has more specifics will chime in

rjnutt 04-02-2013 06:54 AM

Route
 
If you are spending the night in Tonopatch anyway, and want to see some different sights...a good option would be to take US93 out of Vegas until SR 375. SR375 is better known as the Extraterrestial Hwy. 375 to US6 and into Tonopah for the night.

Next day take 6 over Montgomery Pass to 120 and then 120 over to US395 and up to Reno you. See some nice/different country and it doesn't add a lot of miles.

dirty_t 04-02-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjnutt (Post 21089882)
If you are spending the night in Tonopatch anyway, and want to see some different sights...a good option would be to take US93 out of Vegas until SR 375. SR375 is better known as the Extraterrestial Hwy. 375 to US6 and into Tonopah for the night.

Next day take 6 over Montgomery Pass to 120 and then 120 over to US395 and up to Reno you. See some nice/different country and it doesn't add a lot of miles.

That sounds like a good option. Map says 213 mi from LV to Tono, up 95. Longer your way. Any gas out there after Vegas?

rjnutt 04-02-2013 03:34 PM

Gas
 
Alamo and Ash Springs have gas. They are both near the intersection of 93 and 375, forty or so miles south of Rachel. I think it is about 150 miles from Ash Springs to Tonopah.

dirty_t 04-02-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjnutt (Post 21093888)
Alamo and Ash Springs have gas. They are both near the intersection of 93 and 375, forty or so miles south of Rachel. I think it is about 150 miles from Ash Springs to Tonopah.

Thanks. I found out there is also gas in Rachel at L'Ale Inn there. And close to Area 51. Cool.

scorpion 04-02-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty_t (Post 21094541)
Thanks. I found out there is also gas in Rachel at L'Ale Inn there. And close to Area 51. Cool.

A51 valley is a wierd place. Creepy vibe. I've always wanted to camp out there but havent the back bone.
Stick around long enough and you'll get a unmarked black helicopter escort and a camo guy tail.

Stay at the Clown Hotel in Tonopah just cuz it looks funny.
DO NOT SPEED through the small towns, Local law man is waiting for the added revenue.

gonridn 04-02-2013 09:47 PM

scorpion knows what he's talking about. if it says 25, do not be over even a little bit! as far as rooms it would be a good idea to call ahead. there is a big solar project underway just outside of tonopah and a friend has informed me rooms are in short supply, at least during the week. he was told over 2 years before an opening for a weekly.

Aeroscott 04-04-2013 08:31 PM

Fireworks
 
when you get to highway 15 if you go north a few miles you come to the valley of fire, it's like Walmart for fireworks :lol3

renogeorge 04-04-2013 09:38 PM

Lots of more interesting paved roads than 95 and good dirt roads if you are interested. Get off of Hwy 6 before Tonopah, north through Belmont (turns to dirt) then west to Round Mountain. North then west over the Toiyabes via Kingston Canyon. That will put you on 50 west of Austin.

Or 95 to Beatty, then west through Death Valley. North through Saline on the dirt and back to 395 at Big Pine or continue west through Panamint Springs and Keeler to Lone Pine/395. Get off 395 north of Bishop, take old Rock Creek Rd. back to 395 at top Of Sherman Summit. 395 to Tom's Place, off 395, then old Hwy 395 past Crowley. Get off 395 just before Bridgeport, cross back into NV, through Sweetwater, into Wellington. Then West back to 395 just north of Topaz at Holbrook Jct.

Lots of options, depending on what you want to do and how much time you want to spend....

FWIW

dirty_t 04-04-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renogeorge (Post 21112640)
Lots of more interesting paved roads than 95 and good dirt roads if you are interested. Get off of Hwy 6 before Tonopah, north through Belmont (turns to dirt) then west to Round Mountain. North then west over the Toiyabes via Kingston Canyon. That will put you on 50 west of Austin.

Or 95 to Beatty, then west through Death Valley. North through Saline on the dirt and back to 395 at Big Pine or continue west through Panamint Springs and Keeler to Lone Pine/395. Get off 395 north of Bishop, take old Rock Creek Rd. back to 395 at top Of Sherman Summit. 395 to Tom's Place, off 395, then old Hwy 395 past Crowley. Get off 395 just before Bridgeport, cross back into NV, through Sweetwater, into Wellington. Then West back to 395 just north of Topaz at Holbrook Jct.

Lots of options, depending on what you want to do and how much time you want to spend....

FWIW

Nice tips, George. Thanks! I'm ok with dirt roads, but want to avoid long sand stretches and/or gnar in general. And no single track. Will check them out- especially th first coupe options- sound about right in line with what I'm looking for.

And thanks for the speed and fireworks tips! You guys are great!

Blacknblue 04-05-2013 05:40 AM

There's a Best Western in Tonopah and a really cool tourquoise shop.

TUCKERS 04-05-2013 11:24 AM

If you detour through Bishop Elm Street has a reasonable price motel I've used often.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014