ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Phoenix metro emession testing gone? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876195)

sw3dl1 04-04-2013 02:38 PM

Phoenix metro emession testing gone?

I just came from the DMV Offices in Scottsdale from title and plates for a bike I bought last week. I was prepared for the no plate for no emission test problem, but to my surprise, the clerk handed me my title and plate without a problem. I asked her about the emission test, she stated it had been repealed as of April 1, 2013. Anyone else had this experience? If it's true, it's about time.

OldtimerTC 04-04-2013 02:52 PM

Hope so

The ADEQ site doesnt state that yet, but if its true I can now register my bike due on the 15th without emisions. :clap:clap:clap Its about time !

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html

ewilly 04-04-2013 08:29 PM

I just took my KLR through emissions last month and asked about this and the supervisor said it has been a rumor for years and not true. Bad deal for me if it is true.

DOD 04-05-2013 07:24 AM

My plate renewal reminder came last week. Says emissions test required.

-dod

OldtimerTC 04-05-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOD (Post 21114603)

-dod

Mine says that to, and Service Arizona will not allow me to renew. I am going to go by MVD today and get the low-down on this. Hoping not to have to go back to the darn test facility, again !

WantToRideMoar 04-05-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw3dl1 (Post 21109631)
I just came from the DMV Offices in Scottsdale from title and plates for a bike I bought last week. I was prepared for the no plate for no emission test problem, but to my surprise, the clerk handed me my title and plate without a problem. I asked her about the emission test, she stated it had been repealed as of April 1, 2013. Anyone else had this experience? If it's true, it's about time.

Maybe someone played an April Fools prank on her and you wound up getting lucky as a result.

Quote:

In 2008, the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2280 authorizing the exemption of motorcycles from emissions testing requirements in the Phoenix area. The exemption requires the approval of the U.S. EPA by July 2014 (as authorized by House Bill 2033 http://www.azdeq.gov/images/out.gif in April 2010 and extended by House Bill 2073 http://www.azdeq.gov/images/out.gif in 2012).) A request for approval of the exemption was submitted to the U.S. EPA on November 10, 2009. An addendum was submitted on January 12, 2011. The U.S. EPA has not yet taken action on the submittal. The U.S. EPA proposed approval of the exemption request on November 5, 2012 (77 FR 66422) but has not yet taken final action on the submittals. At this time, motorcycles registered in the metro Phoenix area will continue to be tested.
I have a hard time believing that the EPA is taking 3.5 years to essentially nod their heads in our direction. This stuff is political, and we have a pet of the environmentalists heading our government. It's probably deliberately stalled just to screw with AZ since we're a red state.

The AZ legislature will probably have to re-authorize another extension of the waiting period from 2014 to 2017 or so, because Obama's EPA isn't likely to allow this through before 2016.

It's rather interesting that it received tentative approval on November 5th, 2012. The day before the 2012 elections. I expect it to get final approval some time after either the 2014 mid-term elections or 2016 when Obama is leaving office.

100% political.

AZ4us 04-05-2013 04:31 PM

+!. Same here. My plate renewal reminder came 2 days ago. It says emissions test required.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOD (Post 21114603)

-dod

sw3dl1 04-05-2013 04:41 PM

I guess I got lucky, no emission test, plate renewed for two years.

Morgan Steele 04-05-2013 08:31 PM

I was at MVD last week to convert my dirt bike back to OHV to avoid emissions. The rep didn't mention anything. Sounds too good to be true.

2 SPOT 04-05-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw3dl1 (Post 21118908)
I guess I got lucky, no emission test, plate renewed for two years.

something wonky going on, moto's only get one year tabs

750Volts! 04-05-2013 10:28 PM

Just curious Swedl1, did you buy a Spider? I work with a guy who is a principal at one of the High Schools. He has a Spider registered as a handicapped mobility vehicle and they registered it as a car. He gets 2 year tags and hasn't done emissions. He is coming up on 4 years and wondering if on the 5th he will get the emissions notice. He and I are both wondering what will happen next. In any case maybe it is less than 5 years old and they jacked up the vehicle type. :ear
Oh BTW he has a full sized car plate as well though.

Psycho18th 04-05-2013 10:37 PM

I just went through the annual hassle of emissions on my 200. Every year they try to test it as a four stroke, and every year, I have to convince a manager that its a two stroke, so they do the correct test. I don't see them ever giving up their $19 a year for the test.
Psycho

Crashed Bad 04-06-2013 09:36 PM

Motorcycle Testing Ends

Looks like still needed until May.

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei...s-winter12.pdf
Motorcycle Testing Ends

Many of you have been asking if we would stop
requiring motorcycle testing in the metro Phoenix
program area. As recently as this past summer, we
were not anticipating that the EPA would approve
Arizona’s request to terminate motorcycle testing.
Arizona submitted documentation demonstrating to
EPA that the testing of Phoenix area motorcycles
was not necessary on Nov. 10, 2010. We were
informed that EPA would approve this change in
spring of 2013. That time is here.
On Feb. 4, 2013, EPA approved Arizona’s plan,
which will result in the termination of motorcycle
testing in Arizona. Testing in the Tucson metro area
ended several years ago (April 2007). The exact
date that motorcycles will become exempt
from
testing has not been determined. Once posted in the
Federal Register, the legislation becomes effective
60 days later, which will likely be early May.

PaulGinAZ 04-06-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ4us (Post 21118842)
+!. Same here. My plate renewal reminder came 2 days ago. It says emissions test required.

Me +5. I am awaiting the return of my taco'ed front wheel from Woody's so I can run it through emissions. :huh

booger1 04-07-2013 10:41 AM

I've heard about this for almost 7 yrs, but I did infact have to go through emmisions 2 weeks ago, although no problem for my bikes, not much of a hassel other than the lines.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:30 PM.