ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   R1200GS Final drive removal (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876312)

Kurlee 04-05-2013 01:08 AM

R1200GS Final drive removal
 
Original final drive kicked the bucket at around 23K miles, bought a new one from Max BMW as well as some Galfer rotors. I was hoping that it would be a smooth process but I've had issue after issue. Bike is a 2006 standard GS

Right now I'm stuck on removing the collar that slides into the outside lower pivot point connecting the final drive to the swingarm. It moved a little when I removed the Torx bolt from the opposite end but it has not moved a bit since. Destroyed several drift pins and have pretty much come to terms with having to order all new collars and bolt.

Schematic
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...png?v=08102012

Parts that are stuck

02 33 17 7 665 148 PIVOT PIN
16 33 11 7 684 996 GASKET RING - 38X30X2,5
10 33 17 7 665 149 PIVOT PIN


I've been following these instructions for the removal, but I'm not having any luck/missing something.

http://www.mattmccabe.com/r1200gs/r1...el%20drive.pdf

Any help or experience is much appreciated. I have never heard or read about anyone replacing one of these warlocks by themselves, so I'll do a write up when I'm done.

JimVonBaden 04-05-2013 06:38 AM

I've done it a few times. Does yours have a lot of corrosion on it? I found that an appropriatly sized socket is the best "drift" to push out the collar.

Jim :brow

Disco Dean 04-05-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 21114280)
I've done it a few times. Does yours have a lot of corrosion on it? I found that an appropriatly sized socket is the best "drift" to push out the collar.

Jim :brow

I'm with Jim on it. It can corrode and stick into the bearing race. I got mine out with heat and a press If you have the swing arm off. I did not need to take it off... it came out with a drift though. You will need a new bearing(s) / seals, also - they are cheap... The left side (bolt side) needle bearing was severely corroded.

In fact when I did mine as a matter of course I replaced the two sleeves, and both bearings and seals while I was at it.

Not much more to say. Sorry...

roadtrip22 04-05-2013 09:31 AM

Useing a heat gun to heat up the pivot pin helps too. BMW like to put some good lock tight on there that will make it a pain to remove the bolt. Some good heat and it comes apart easier. Also while your there don't forget to inspect the driveshaft for damage and clean up the splines. :D

Kurlee 04-05-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 21114280)
I've done it a few times. Does yours have a lot of corrosion on it? I found that an appropriatly sized socket is the best "drift" to push out the collar.

Jim :brow

Thanks! I'll try that. I haven't noticed much corrosion on it, but I'm sure it's there. I'm tearing this apart in the parking lot of my Navy barracks so I'm pretty limited when it comes to tools.

simoneau 04-05-2013 11:09 AM

Remove #10 by installing #12 about 4 or 5 turns only and hammer #12 to drift #10. Use a longer bolt than #12 if required to drift #10 all the way out. Then an appropriately sized socket slightly smaller than #10 and an extension can be use to drive #2 out. Hope this helps.

JimVonBaden 04-05-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simoneau (Post 21116492)
Remove #10 by installing #12 about 4 or 5 turns only and hammer #12 to drift #10. Use a longer bolt than #12 if required to drift #10 all the way out. Then an appropriately sized socket slightly smaller than #10 and an extension can be use to drive #2 out. Hope this helps.

:nod Good advice.

Jim :brow

billdonna 04-06-2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurlee (Post 21116143)
Thanks! I'll try that. I haven't noticed much corrosion on it, but I'm sure it's there. I'm tearing this apart in the parking lot of my Navy barracks so I'm pretty limited when it comes to tools.


Ummm....wouldn't a bottle of Jim Beam give the neccessary lubrication for easy removal over at the repair shop on Base?

bobframe 04-06-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurlee (Post 21113121)

This is pretty cool...where does it come from? Is it available for most repairs on the GS?

JimVonBaden 04-06-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobframe (Post 21121618)
This is pretty cool...where does it come from? Is it available for most repairs on the GS?

That is a section of the factory DVD manual. YOu can get them from the dealer.

Jim :brow

mwood7800 04-07-2013 10:35 AM

This might help. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861093

Kurlee 04-17-2013 12:50 AM

Got it out! New FD is on and everything will get finished and ready for the road in a few days or whenever I get some time off work while the sun is up.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014