ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Marin County / NorCal Dual sport riders... UNITE! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878095)

mario94901 04-11-2013 11:30 AM

Marin County / NorCal Dual sport riders... UNITE!

Hey all, :D

I wanted to start this thread to see we can have a discussion group for riders in the Marin, NorCal area, that want to meet for day rides, as well as multi day rides. I'm new to Adv riding,(my other pony is an 08' ZX6R), and want to meet others from all experience levels for rides.

There's some roads I've been wanting to check out, and thought I'd see if anyone was game to ride them together.

1. Low Gap Road
2. Orr Springs Road
3. Sherwood Road
4. Usal Road
5. Fish Rock Road
6. Hwy 89 through Lassen

I want to try and plan some rides soon, as summer's around the corner!

Anyone that's in the area, or just wants to cruise along, great! The more the merrier.

I'm riding a Triumph Tiger 800 XC ('11) Just got my AltRider crashguards, so should be good for the dirt! :evil

mootsuno 04-11-2013 12:39 PM

You might want to check out the Mendo Rally.

mario94901 04-11-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mootsuno (Post 21163247)
You might want to check out the Mendo Rally.

This looks bad ass... I'm new to riding a motorcycle in the dirt, but been mountainbiking and DH mtb for a while now...so comfortable in that sense.

Is this a hardcore/advanced ride? Looks doable, but don't want to bite off more than I can chew... :evil

So, $55 all up for camping and food? Not too shabby...

mootsuno 04-11-2013 04:31 PM

Mario,

It can as easy or as hard as you want. All types of terrain to ride there.
Open fire roads to tight single track.

Many of your mtn bike skills will transfer, looking ahead on the trail, picking lines,
weight transfer etc. However, maneuvering a 400-550lb motorcyle and a 20-40lb
mtn bike is a little different.

If you break down my moniker, Moots Uno, I think you'll believe I speaking from
experience.

As for food at the rally, it includes dinners and snacking food which you could probably
make into breakfast or lunch. It wouldn't be the healthiest meal though.

slackmeyer 04-12-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario94901 (Post 21162666)

I wanted to start this thread to see we can have a discussion group for riders in the Marin, NorCal area, that want to meet for day rides, as well as multi day rides. I'm new to Adv riding,(my other pony is an 08' ZX6R), and want to meet others from all experience levels for rides.

There's some roads I've been wanting to check out, and thought I'd see if anyone was game to ride them together.

1. Low Gap Road
2. Orr Springs Road
3. Sherwood Road
4. Usal Road
5. Fish Rock Road
6. Hwy 89 through Lassen

Anyone that's in the area, or just wants to cruise along, great! The more the merrier.

I'm riding a Triumph Tiger 800 XC ('11) Just got my AltRider crashguards, so should be good for the dirt! :evil

You'd also like FH7 from Covelo east, it's a nice road. Be aware that Low gap, Sherwood, and Usal roads can all be very muddy in the early season, they can be tricky on a big bike. But fun, I love all of the roads you mentioned. Fish Rock is a really good place to start, then try Low Gap. Also, Old Toll road, parallel to Hopland grade, is great, and you can make a loop out of that and riding the road through Cow mt. Lots of great roads out there, I could go on and on, but I don't have as much time to ride these days with a 6 month old at home. . .

K. L. Rocket 04-12-2013 10:34 PM

The film, Need for Speed, scheduled for release March 14, 2014 and starrring Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul, wrapped filming on the following Mendocino County roads today:

It may be fun for you to ride them and see the movie later.

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/0mGW_KrVNI8?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/QTyMEVitBOE?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Adv Grifter 04-17-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario94901 (Post 21162666)

1. Low Gap Road
2. Orr Springs Road
3. Sherwood Road
4. Usal Road
5. Fish Rock Road
6. Hwy 89 through Lassen

I believe the roads you've listed are not in Marin County. Not many legal dirt roads in Marin that I know of but plenty of fun paved roads. Getting up to the roads you list would be a LONG day ride if you include riding some of them the full length. Best as a two day ride if starting from San Fran.

To get to know some local riders I'd start going on the Sunday Morning Ride out of Mill Valley. 7:30 am depart every Sunday for the last 40 plus years.

All pavement, all kinds of bikes, plenty of ADV and dual sport bikes in the mix. Fast pace ... It's an impromptu race ... so my advice is to hang back until you figure out how it works. This group also do all kinds of longer, multi day rides involving dirt roads you list above.

Spring will find nasty mud on Sherwood, Usal and others. Pass on your Tiger you won't make it.

The Mendo Rally looks like a big deal with hundreds of people, motorhomes/trailers. I ride motorcycles, not a Motorhome guy, so not so much interest for me. I prefer to R I D E my bike to Mendo Forest and Camp or Motel it while in the area. YMMV. No offense to the Mendo rally guys but rides with hundreds of NOOB riders is not my idea of fun. :lol3 Cluster f*#@K

As an introduction I'd ride up to the Mendo Forest and explore the big M roads on your own. (M1, M3 and M10) All well groomed and marked. Stop in at the Ranger Station in Upper Lake and get a FREE map. From there you can do more and try some two track roads. Ride the M roads over to Fouts Springs, Stoneyford or up to Covelo and back. Go easy on the big Tiger. Have fun! :freaky

mario94901 04-17-2013 03:51 PM

Hey KL. Thanks for the info... wasn;t free to do that long of a ride...but those roads sure do look sweet! Planning on doing something in the next few weeks...on a weekend. Maybe a day trip with 50/50 dirt / road.

Would you or anyone else be interested? Maybe up to Ukiah, Low Gap out to 1, and then 1 home?

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket (Post 21174784)
The film, Need for Speed, scheduled for release March 14, 2014 and starrring Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul, wrapped filming on the following Mendocino County roads today:

It may be fun for you to ride them and see the movie later.

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/0mGW_KrVNI8?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/QTyMEVitBOE?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

mario94901 04-17-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adv Grifter (Post 21210008)
I believe the roads you've listed are not in Marin County. Not many legal dirt roads in Marin that I know of but plenty of fun paved roads. Getting up to the roads you list would be a LONG day ride if you include riding some of them the full length. Best as a two day ride if starting from San Fran.

To get to know some local riders I'd start going on the Sunday Morning Ride out of Mill Valley. 7:30 am depart every Sunday for the last 40 plus years.

All pavement, all kinds of bikes, plenty of ADV and dual sport bikes in the mix. Fast pace ... It's an impromptu race ... so my advice is to hang back until you figure out how it works. This group also do all kinds of longer, multi day rides involving dirt roads you list above.

Spring will find nasty mud on Sherwood, Usal and others. Pass on your Tiger you won't make it.

The Mendo Rally looks like a big deal with hundreds of people, motorhomes/trailers. I ride motorcycles, not a Motorhome guy, so not so much interest for me. I prefer to R I D E my bike to Mendo Forest and Camp or Motel it while in the area. YMMV. No offense to the Mendo rally guys but rides with hundreds of NOOB riders is not my idea of fun. :lol3 Cluster f*#@K

As an introduction I'd ride up to the Mendo Forest and explore the big M roads on your own. (M1, M3 and M10) All well groomed and marked. Stop in at the Ranger Station in Upper Lake and get a FREE map. From there you can do more and try some two track roads. Ride the M roads over to Fouts Springs, Stoneyford or up to Covelo and back. Go easy on the big Tiger. Have fun! :freaky

Hey Grifter,

Thanks for the 411. Very helpful.

It is quite a trek up north to those Roads...I live in Marin, and can make it up that way if I leave early enough. Im usually on the road by 6:30am for long day rides.

Thought about doing the "Doc Wong" ride before...but just way too many people... thought about posting here to see if I could find others that were interested in the same routes. Might check it out though...

Mendo Rally - Not this year...just too much going on.

Love the idea of the roads in Meno Forest. I'll have to check those out soon... Planning on any rides in the next few weeks? Would love to join and learn a little...

Thanks again, and let me know if you're ever out in this area... always looking for riding buddies. :freaky

motorat 04-17-2013 04:20 PM

i've done fish rock rd.
saying that i mean it is not too bad as i have little off road skills.
i was on a klr650 and just took my time

mario94901 04-17-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorat (Post 21210294)
i've done fish rock rd.
saying that i mean it is not too bad as i have little off road skills.
i was on a klr650 and just took my time

Hey motorat,

Thnx for the info. I've also heard that Fish Rock was a good one to start out on... haven't been offroad "yet" with the Tiger.... Still have my crashbars, sump guard to throw on.

Lemme know if you're game to do that, or another ride at some point...

M

Adv Grifter 04-17-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario94901 (Post 21210120)
Hey Grifter,

Thanks for the 411. Very helpful.

It is quite a trek up north to those Roads...I live in Marin, and can make it up that way if I leave early enough. Im usually on the road by 6:30am for long day rides.

Thought about doing the "Doc Wong" ride before...but just way too many people... thought about posting here to see if I could find others that were interested in the same routes. Might check it out though...

Mendo Rally - Not this year...just too much going on.

Love the idea of the roads in Meno Forest. I'll have to check those out soon... Planning on any rides in the next few weeks? Would love to join and learn a little...

Thanks again, and let me know if you're ever out in this area... always looking for riding buddies. :freaky

Doc Wong is a very good teacher ... been at it for years. I did not know his groups were so large now. If groups of 10 riders or under ... I would consider it. Lots to learn. But he's a South Bay guy ... nothing like the wackiness you find among our Sunday Morning Riders. :D

I've got two rides coming up ... but both are invitationals. Like I said, start riding the SMR every week. In a year you'll know everyone and learn a lot, lots of private rides.

Exploring Mendocino Nat. Forest is a hoot. Lots to see and connect to.
The single track is a bit much for your Tiger but most of the two track you could do, and of course the big M roads ... like big dirt freeways. :D Very relaxing and nearly impossible to get lost.

mario94901 04-17-2013 08:43 PM

Thnx Grifter. Appreciate your help..

sorry to sound like such a noob...but SMR?

May check out one the Doc Wong rides, but the M roads will def be checking out. And grabbing that map is a must.

I'm running these tires: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Will those work for those roads? And what kind of psi would you recommend?

Thnx again..

Adv Grifter 04-17-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario94901 (Post 21212226)
Thnx Grifter. Appreciate your help..

sorry to sound like such a noob...but SMR?

May check out one the Doc Wong rides, but the M roads will def be checking out. And grabbing that map is a must.

I'm running these tires: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Will those work for those roads? And what kind of psi would you recommend?

Thnx again..

SMR : Sunday Morning Ride

Those are good street tires. Ideally, a more 50/50 tire might be best if you want good grip on dirt/gravel. Especially up front.
Low pressures off road: 18 PSI front, 20 PSI rear.

arbrlvr 04-17-2013 10:30 PM

100's of mendo noobs?

If I recall correctly, last years mendo rally was about 30 - 40 people and most were far from nooby. Maybe your thinking of DV noob rally.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:12 AM.