ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tuned to the Sound of Motorcycle Exhausts Screaming and Engines Humming (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878144)

y0y02369 04-11-2013 03:05 PM

Tuned to the Sound of Motorcycle Exhausts Screaming and Engines Humming
 
HI Inmates!

My name is Yohan! Currently own a 2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC! I am 24 years old and ride to live and live to ride! I spend a lot of time either at school or work so that leaves little time to ride. But when i do have the time... i don't miss a beat!

I will just share photos and experiences of roads. At first it was just something i would do in a cheap way but from now on i am going to try to post a little more detail of my motorcycle related life! Comments questions and all other things are welcome!!

EBMOTT 04-13-2013 02:33 PM

what and where?
 
what kind of bike do you ride, what kind of riding do you want dirt, street or what. and were do you want to end up?
I live an hour north of s.f. and there is a lot of good roads up here. not much in the way of good off roading, but some fantastic roads. just north of me is some good off roads and camping and stuff.
or if you cross bay bridge east bay has great day rides as well.
cheers

antwon412 04-13-2013 04:50 PM

I did a 2 day trip from Castro Valley up to Klamath and back.

Went through a couple state parks. Most beautiful scenery I've seen.

Went up the coast to Ukiah then cut over to......some mountain highway. Then a oupe other roads. Forget which one. I just kinda wandered.

conchscooter 04-13-2013 08:35 PM

Highway 84 south from 101 (Redwood City area) will lead to the coast either at San Gregorio or Pescadero (Duarte's Restaurant) for lunch.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R...a=1,2&t=m&z=11

eljefedavies 04-13-2013 09:26 PM

Bay Area Rides
 
RKA Luggage in Sonoma is doing a ride the first weekend in May. Check out there Web-site.

www.rka-luggage.com.

y0y02369 04-14-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EBMOTT (Post 21178325)
what kind of bike do you ride, what kind of riding do you want dirt, street or what. and were do you want to end up?
I live an hour north of s.f. and there is a lot of good roads up here. not much in the way of good off roading, but some fantastic roads. just north of me is some good off roads and camping and stuff.
or if you cross bay bridge east bay has great day rides as well.
cheers


I got Vulcan classic 800 but will soon be switching to Tiger 800XC :D So as of now i do street only but will soon be looking for some dirt roads. Where are the offroads you talk about??

Yesterday I went from Fremont, took 880 to 92, crossed the bridge and went all the way to half moon bay. Got on and stayed on Highway 1 all the way to Marin Headlands. THAT was a nice ride! Other than the really windy conditions, the ride was superb. I was going to take highway 1 all the way to 17 then head home to the south bay but because of time issues just did 101 :cry Here are some pictures i got at the Marin Headlands...

http://https://lh4.googleusercontent...7/DSC_0235.JPGhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-u...7/DSC_0277.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-r...o/DSC_0241.jpg

antwon412 04-14-2013 09:21 PM

Tomorrow ill look online and see if I can remember exactly what route I took.

Seriously, it was the most amazing ride I have ever been on. Nice clean 2 lane roads going thought beautiful mountains with no one else in sight.

AngryScot 04-15-2013 11:01 AM

ride up to rio nido this may and hang out with us and we can give ya some great routes.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861612

tons of stuff right over the bridge from you if the coast is what you want to have some on, 84 over the hill, tunitas creek road, stage road and the list goes on and on.
The ride up to rio nido can be a blast, coast up and then Bohemian highway or francis drake and up, lots of options, can take many hours depending on the amount of back roads you want.
On your side, there is a ton of stuff too. Calaverus(sp) and mines road as examples.

y0y02369 04-15-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScot (Post 21190984)
ride up to rio nido this may and hang out with us and we can give ya some great routes.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861612

tons of stuff right over the bridge from you if the coast is what you want to have some on, 84 over the hill, tunitas creek road, stage road and the list goes on and on.
The ride up to rio nido can be a blast, coast up and then Bohemian highway or francis drake and up, lots of options, can take many hours depending on the amount of back roads you want.
On your side, there is a ton of stuff too. Calaverus(sp) and mines road as examples.

Sounds super exciting!

AngryScot 04-15-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y0y02369 (Post 21191507)
Sounds super exciting!

go with lower expectations it will work out better! :poser

for 84 west trips, try this next time:

sandhill road out of menlo park/palo alto, continue over 280 turn right on old la honda road, continue this up to skyline, you can continue over skyline and this will take you a eventually back onto 84, or take a left and head south on skyline, then take a right where it meets pagemill road, this will be alpine road. continue west on alpine it forks and you stay right to continue on alpine. This is super twisty big redwood roads. this will dump you at the junction of apline and pescardero road, you will veer left to go on pescardero road. Following that into the town of pescardero and stage road. Stop and get a fresh bread sandwich at the store (Arcancheli's (sp) ) on stage road then take stage road north. This will take you back to 84 near the san gergorio genral store, get sasparilla and watch the silly bicycles go by. The take 84 back up to alices and stop again for a bowl of chilli (ride to eat, eat to ride). hop on skyline north and hang a right on kings mountain road (pause to look left at tunias creek (another fun road down to the coast). this will drop you off down in woodside. left back on 84 and however home.
more corners than should be allowed, normally little to no traffic (apart from 84) and lots of great views. Bring a layer as it gets chilly on the coast and in the shade of the trees.

:ricky

Heloflyboy 04-15-2013 07:02 PM

Mines Rd out of Livermore stop for lunch at Junction cafe. From there either continue over to Mt. Hamilton Rd. into San Jose or take Del Puerto Canyon Rd. This is good for a couple hours and has some great riding and scenery. Hit me up I ride it about once a month.
Once the snow melts there are alot of good roads in the Sierra's mix dirt and asphalt.

Cheers
Addrain

AngryScot 04-15-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y0y02369 (Post 21194257)
That trip sounds pretty awesome! How long do you estimate for that?

P.S. Alice's is definitely a MUST stop! :freaky

Once over on the west side of the bay, it is a good 3hour round trip I would think, depends on how fast you ride, alpine and old la honda you cannot go that fast due to the road conditions and single lane traffic unless you can see through hills on corners :lol2. Nice thing is you have lots of options, alpine hits 84 too so you can always loop back.or hit the coast and take hwy 1 instead of stageroad to 84 etc.

y0y02369 04-16-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heloflyboy (Post 21195042)
Mines Rd out of Livermore stop for lunch at Junction cafe. From there either continue over to Mt. Hamilton Rd. into San Jose or take Del Puerto Canyon Rd. This is good for a couple hours and has some great riding and scenery. Hit me up I ride it about once a month.
Once the snow melts there are alot of good roads in the Sierra's mix dirt and asphalt.

Cheers
Addrain

Thanks Addrain! I will definitely let you know when I plan to do a trip over there. I was planning to ride to Tahoe this coming weekend but last minute changes won't allow me to :cry So hopefully I will have some time to ride up sometime this summer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScot (Post 21196215)
Once over on the west side of the bay, it is a good 3hour round trip I would think, depends on how fast you ride, alpine and old la honda you cannot go that fast due to the road conditions and single lane traffic unless you can see through hills on corners :lol2. Nice thing is you have lots of options, alpine hits 84 too so you can always loop back.or hit the coast and take hwy 1 instead of stageback to 84 etc.

Alright then that sounds great. I recently did a trip kinda like that! I am very fond of loops as opposed to back track; backtracking is just boring. :rofl

Tyler 04-17-2013 12:41 PM

Here is a route that I did this past weekend. Was a 2-day trip but might give you some ideas for day rides in the Marin and/or Napa areas... tons of options!!

motorat 04-17-2013 03:55 PM

go north.
highway 1 from muir beach to tomales is great.
go over coleman valley rd...don't forget your kidney belt.
follow 128 from the corners to ft brag.
hwy 36 is great red bluff to the coast.
mountian view rd from 128 to point arena.
skaggs springs--but stay close to the speed limit as yer chp love this road.
pope valley over 175 then back to middletown.

there are so many enjoyable roads here.

have fun!


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014