ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Bet i made a sport bike blink. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879019)

whatscooking 04-15-2013 03:31 AM

Bet i made a sport bike blink.

Was on a ride with the wife on our GSA loaded up with the cases on when i happened to look in the rear view and saw three of them comming hard around us. Well :wink: thought i would pick it up a little and got between 2 and three, all the while the wife giving me the slap on the back. They went on but i bet on their next stop they had something to talk about.

'05Train 04-15-2013 05:40 AM

They probably did. A slower bike that refuses to yield to faster traffic generally gets some comments.

And before everyone jumps on me, let's be clear...The GS/A is a great bike that's a ton of fun to throw around on a winding road. What it's not is a sportbike, and given equal talent in the seat, a sportbike will steal a GS/A's lunch and sleep with its girlfriend.

Japanviking 04-15-2013 05:41 AM

So a group of three riders approached you at a higher pace, you decided to ride faster and didn't let the 3rd rider past? :huh

You're the man! :lol3

Jim Moore 04-15-2013 05:49 AM

You're confused, and a litle hurt right now, because the thread is not going like you intended. It's OK. We understand. For next time, the correct etiquette is to let them pass, then try to hang on to them if that is your desire.

whatscooking 04-15-2013 05:54 AM

Was a open streach of road, no refusal to yield by me, just kicked it up and held with them.

'05Train 04-15-2013 06:07 AM

So to be clear, your 110 horsepower, 600+ pound, non-aerodynamic Adventure bike, which was (in your words) "loaded up" with a passenger and cases (presumably with stuff in them) got into the middle of a riding group you weren't a part of, and "held with" lighter, more aerodynamic, and more powerful sportbikes?

Tell me more about your amazing machine.

In all seriousness, aside from the delusion that your bike kept up, it's incredibly poor form to insert yourself uninvited into another group's ride.

ausfahrt 04-15-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim moore (Post 21188577)
for next time, the correct etiquette is to let them pass, then try to hang on to them if that is your desire.

+1

oldenuf 04-15-2013 06:24 AM

fast riding

And I'm not talking about racing. Usually best done with those you know really well and how they ride, and with a limited number. You set the speed for yourself and know your limit. It's not about impressing anyone outside of your group and in the group it's about respect.

Crashing is really serious stuff. Double yellow passes and triple digit speed can be serious stuff if the law catches you.

Everyone knows this right?

Track days are a lot more fun.

Art

'05Train 04-15-2013 06:37 AM

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psb6868cf5.jpg

Bar None 04-15-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatscooking (Post 21188198)
Was on a ride with the wife on our GSA loaded up with the cases on when i happened to look in the rear view and saw three of them comming hard around us. Well :wink: thought i would pick it up a little and got between 2 and three, all the while the wife giving me the slap on the back. They went on but i bet on their next stop they had something to talk about.

Wow! You the stud. NOT.:rofl

twinrider 04-15-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 21188577)
For next time, the correct etiquette is to let them pass, then try to hang on to them if that is your desire.

+100. It's far more fun to chase than to be chased.

A golden rule of motorcycling: Don't be the :asshat that tries to stop faster bikes from passing by blocking them.

Jnich77 04-15-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatscooking (Post 21188198)

I am sure they talked about you: "what a dick," " what an ass hole," "learn how to ride."

Bill Harris 04-15-2013 07:12 AM

This thread is not going to end well... :cry

--Bill

'05Train 04-15-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Harris (Post 21188948)
This thread is not going to end well... :cry

But it started so well.....:rofl

ozmoses 04-15-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 21188577)
You're confused, and a litle hurt right now, because the thread is not going like you intended. It's OK. We understand. For next time, the correct etiquette is to let them pass, then try to hang on to them if that is your desire.

+2

However, and I may have mentioned this elsewhere at some point, being invited to ride along sometimes happens too.

Couple summers ago I came up on a big group of Harleys two abreast, big as in too many for a single pass.

While I won't say for certain they were 1%, they were not "pirates". We were 5mph or so above posted for a several miles when one of the guys at the rear who had been checking me in his mirror dropped back, took the left side of the lane and waved me up. He gave me a nod, guy in front of us did same and we rode for a few more miles until my turn off came up. I could feel those big twins in my stomach, me on my old airhead.

It was one of those cool, unspoken moments that riding is all about.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:14 PM.