ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   F800GS won't start (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879509)

TegRacer324 04-16-2013 03:10 PM

F800GS won't start

I picked up a 2009 F800GS on Saturday. The bike started right up when I looked at it, ran fine, looked great. The owner took really good care of it and seemed like a great guy. I think this is just shit luck or maybe my own doing.

Bike ran fine that night when I got home. Sun morning I went to help a friend about an hour away do chain and sprockets on his bike. The bike was a little tough to start. I had to hit the starter a few times but at least it was firing every time I hit the starter. I figured maybe it was cold and i had started it up real quick the night before for someone and thought maybe that loaded it up with fuel.

Ran absolutely fine on the way to my friend's house. The gas gauge said I had plenty of gas. When I got to his place I shut the bike off on my own accord. By the time we got his bike said and done it was probably about 4-5 hours later. Went to go start it and nothing. Crank, crank, crank and no firing.

Screwed around with it turning it over and trying anything when finally he asked if I had gas in it. I thought I did, but can never be too sure. I was trusting the bike gauge but knew I shouldn't have been. Went and filled up a container with over 6 gallons of gas. Got back and the bike took a lot of the 6 gallons fuel. Honestly pretty sure it was damn close to empty despite indicating I had over 100 miles until empty.

By this time the battery was almost dead and it cranked a few times but didn't start. Thought maybe the gas gauge was just inaccurate and the battery was too dead to start it once I got gas in it. Luckily my roommate was home and I had him jump in my car with trailer attached and come pick me up.

Charged the battery up last night and gave it a go again just now. Still nothing. I have obviously been searching and searching on this issue and have come across things like tapping on the injectors. I tried tapping on the right injector. Not sure how hard I'm suppose to tap or with what. I was using a screw driver but it didn't do anything. Not sure is there a way to get at the left side injector?

I also tried tapping the fuel pump which leads me to my next question. Only owning the bike a few days and riding it a few times I assume that the pump should prime when I turn the key. I'm not hearing anything. Putting my ear right up to it and not getting anything. That would lead me to believe maybe i ran out of gas and managed to fry the pump in the process? How do I check the pump before I go out and order a replacement pump?

Reaver 04-16-2013 05:50 PM

OK then, relax and let's go through this.

Cue the Techron, Fuel pump controller, Sea Foam bad gas rants. :D

Fully charge the battery. Just because it cranks it doesn't mean it will start. The injectors run at less than 12V so a low voltage while cranking will be further lowered and the injectors won't open. Another guy posted the exact same thing and it was fixed by a new batt. Your's original? '09 you say? Probably time regardless.

Next, pull your seat off. Every time you turn the key on you will hear the pump run for a second or 2. Put your ear where the pump sits (under your butt) and listen in a quiet garage. Hear it? If not then it may be the Fuel Pump Controller (FPC). That silver finned thing beside the pump assembly. Remove the two screws and pull, you will find an o ring sealing it then a plug underneath with two wires. Unplug it but leave the top supply plug on. With your voltmeter, check for that momentary 12v when the key is turned on. Anything? If not then read the thread on how to bypass the controller.

You could also go a different route. Pull your main panels off then remove the snorkel assembly to expose the air filter. You're going to have to learn that sooner or later. Remove the air filter and give it a quick shot of ether (quick start etc.) while cranking. If it fires up a sec then you've at least narrowed it down to the fuel system.

Having said all that, the very first thing I'd do is the simplest which is removing the centre panel to expose the battery and boost it directly there. If it starts up then just go get a new battery. Always start at the beginning. :D

ebrabaek 04-16-2013 06:03 PM

I second Reavers motion on the techron. Has helped my '09, as late as last week. It works.

CheckerdD 04-16-2013 06:43 PM

I think you have a 4 year old battery that can't put out enough juice. What is the voltage your getting? Dave

tah1800 04-16-2013 06:59 PM

+1 on the fully charged battery and then try bypassing the fuel pump regulator and see if it doesn't fire.

itsatdm 04-16-2013 07:18 PM

A cheap multimeter comes in handy. You can check batteries. Fully charged means above 12.4v. That still does not mean it is good. See what voltage it drops to with the bike cranking. It should be in the high 10s or better. If not, the battery is shot. Unlike an old carbed bike, these need their juice.

If you wire in a flatside 2 prong trailer connection you can do many things without removing all the plastic.

That said, you should hear the pump spool up. Usually the controller.

a.c.s. 04-16-2013 07:27 PM

Could be clogged injectors. My GSA would crank, but wouldn't fire up, but only after sitting for a month while the roads were still being salted here.

After cranking many times until the battery was drained over a 1 week period, and then trying to crank while attached to a battery jumper box, I cranked the throttle all the way and she came back to life. I figured that I didn't need to twist the throttle while cranking it as the fuel pump should do the job, but I think it cleared the lines.

Just a thought, although you never know if these kinds of things will work. Either way, good luck.

-ACS

TegRacer324 04-16-2013 07:55 PM

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I have records from the previous owner saying the battery was replaced last spring. It was cranking over pretty good after being on the charger 24 hours, but I will double check to make sure the voltage is good.

I got a hold of my buddy who has a 2012 f800 and went over and listened to his tonight. My fuel pump is definitely not priming when I turn the bike on. So I guess I will pull the fuel pump controller tomorrow and check if I am getting the 12v momentarily when I turn the key.

Also I did try the throttle 1/2 way and fully open when cranking. Neither seemed to do anything for it.

Reaver 04-17-2013 05:51 AM

That's good about the new battery but don't completely rule it out. What kind of battery?

Once you determine your pump isn't cycling with the key and you've removed the controller, see if your 800 buddy will lend you his for a 2 minute test. It would be the simplest way to test, no voltmeters but may cost you a beer. If the fpc IS bad then you can cut the lead off it and make a bypass cable for future use. The FPC's are common to most of the late model BMW's so your Dealer will likely have a few in stock.

Please let us know what fixed it so we can help the next guy.

Good luck. Don't let this one experience ruin your impression of a great bike.

tah1800 04-17-2013 03:20 PM

I've seen cleaning the FPC bring one back to life too.

NomadicOne 04-18-2013 05:15 AM

I may be having the same or at least a similar issue as OP. Hoping to get some feedback.

Here's a video of what happens when I try to start up my 2010 BMW F800GS:
http://youtu.be/B8_rbYZBcXE

The bike (2010 model with 11,2000km) clicks but will not start. The bike has been stored indoors for 17 months with occasional trickle charging and start-up but not ridden since I was mostly out of the country.

Three days before the video was taken (after trickle charging for a few days) the bike was started and ridden around for 2.5 hours. It wasn't a quick start and needed a few tries or the occasional push start. Two days ago, the bike won't start and reacts as shown in the video.

Due to the lack of usage (out of country) for the last 16 months and fuel sitting in the tank with sta-bil it could be the following issues (according to other posts on ADVrider): 1. Low battery or bad battery, 2. Clogged fuel injectors, 3. Bad fuel pump

The problem does not seem to be the battery (stock BMW from 2009/2010) which has 11.92V measured by multimeter. I'm still going to try charging it in full and maybe that will unclog the fuel injectors. I'll also try sea foam but I'll check the fuel pump too to see if that could be the issue. Otherwise, it's roadside assistance time since I need it brought in for service.

ebrabaek 04-18-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NomadicOne (Post 21213644)
I may be having the same or at least a similar issue as OP. Hoping to get some feedback.

Here's a video of what happens when I try to start up my 2010 BMW F800GS:
http://youtu.be/B8_rbYZBcXE

The bike (2010 model with 11,2000km) clicks but will not start. The bike has been stored indoors for 17 months with occasional trickle charging and start-up but not ridden since I was mostly out of the country.

Three days before the video was taken (after trickle charging for a few days) the bike was started and ridden around for 2.5 hours. It wasn't a quick start and needed a few tries or the occasional push start. Two days ago, the bike won't start and reacts as shown in the video.

Due to the lack of usage (out of country) for the last 16 months and fuel sitting in the tank with sta-bil it could be the following issues (according to other posts on ADVrider): 1. Low battery or bad battery, 2. Clogged fuel injectors, 3. Bad fuel pump

The problem does not seem to be the battery (stock BMW from 2009/2010) which has 11.92V measured by multimeter. I'm still going to try charging it in full and maybe that will unclog the fuel injectors. I'll also try sea foam but I'll check the fuel pump too to see if that could be the issue. Otherwise, it's roadside assistance time since I need it brought in for service.

Your battery most likely sulfated, and is now dead. It is a known problem that the R/R of the 8GS is not charging with high enough voltage, and many battery's have been changed under warranty. You just need a new battery. You can try to charge it with a 3-5 amp charger, and see if it will take the charge, but once you are at this stage, it most likely calls for a new battery. 11.92, is a dead battery. It should be above of 12.8 volts.

Reaver 04-18-2013 05:28 AM

That's easy. Your battery is toast. 11.92 V is something like 10% charged. A good battery would be 12.5 or better. If you rode it around for a few hours, did it run fine? If so then burn off all the old gas and put in fresh. I've seen bikes in the showroom for three years start right up and go. Battery charged every month.

When the system voltage drop below an acceptable level it shuts down. That's why the instruments act like you just turned on the key when you have just disengaged the starter.

Get a new battery and use a charger that can be left plugged in for maintenance like a BMW one or a Battery Tender.

Edit: If you go the warranty route, omit the long term storage and lack of riding info. If you get a free battery then maybe return the favour by buying a charger from them.

NomadicOne 04-18-2013 05:43 AM

Thanks for the quick response. Will go out and get the Deka ETX14 battery (the only non-BMW and Canadian Tire battery I could find in Toronto).

My next challenge is finding a way to keep it on a tender. The bike was stored at my parents house with a proper garage (1 hr away) but I moved it to condo parking nearby so I could ride evenings and weekend. Did not see an electrical outlet nearby to plug in so will have to hopefully find one or store it back at my parents to plug in.

Reaver 04-18-2013 06:00 AM

Ahh, you're in Tranna now. If you can wait Sask Battery has a good deal but if not then you'll know how much the battery should be. We'll be getting two of these.

http://saskbattery.com/ecommerce_180.htm

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:31 PM.