ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Buying oil on the road? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880031)

RichieBoone 04-18-2013 11:11 AM

Buying oil on the road?

I'm not trying to start a crazy oil thread, but I am on the road and I need to change oil.
I have a filter but I need some oil.
In the past I used BMW oil, then I switched to buying oil from beemerboneyard.
I have a 2012 GSA and I need to know which oil I can buy from a Wally World or an auto parts store. I know nothing about oil so I am trying to get a recommendation to a brand that will be safe to use. Thanks.

JimVonBaden 04-18-2013 11:14 AM

You can use any high quality 10W40 oil you wish. Dino or synthetic is fine. Just do not use high detergent oils for older motors.

Jim :brow

Yankee Dog 04-18-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 21216231)
You can use any high quality 10W40 oil you wish. Dino or synthetic is fine. Just do not use high detergent oils for older motors.

+1...

Contrary to popular opinion. You bike will not self destruct if you mix oils. I like the Mobile 1 15-50. But I cant always find it. So I use what ever else Wally or Autozone has that looks good. I even dumped in some cheap 10w30 from a convience store once in an emergency.

The bike was just fine.

sandbagger 04-18-2013 11:58 AM

While doing a 4-corner tour last summer, i couldn't find any 15-50 mobil 1 in new mexico, i stopped at a Car Quest and found some 20-50 full synthetic motorcycle oil, cost me 12.50/qt and i change it on the side of their garage with my own oil fliter, they let me use their drain pan...gave the attendent a $20 tip for some beers...made their day!

cjack 04-18-2013 12:07 PM

How many miles since the last change? 6K miles or so, don't worry about it. If you have synth in it, even better. I would start thinking about it at 7 or 8 K miles especially when on a trip with highway miles.
I agree with any oil.
What happened to 20W50? Did someone change the engine while it was in my garage this last 4 years?

JimVonBaden 04-18-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjack (Post 21216623)
How many miles since the last change? 6K miles or so, don't worry about it. If you have synth in it, even better. I would start thinking about it at 7 or 8 K miles especially when on a trip with highway miles.
I agree with any oil.
What happened to 20W50? Did someone change the engine while it was in my garage this last 4 years?

20W50 is getting hard to find. If using synth then up to 10K miles you are still good.

cjack 04-18-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 21216806)
20W50 is getting hard to find. If using synth then up to 10K miles you are still good.

The Mobil 1 20W50 V-Twin showed very well in those MOA oil tests. It seems to be available at most stores around here in IL.

little foot 04-18-2013 01:22 PM

I can't imagine that an oil change couldn't wait until you get back home.

TuefelHunden 04-18-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjack (Post 21216866)
The Mobil 1 20W50 V-Twin showed very well in those MOA oil tests. It seems to be available at most stores around here in IL.

Not trying to start a fracas and the article of which you speak was an OK piece of journalism, but there was nothing in it or just about any other one out there that makes one oil significantly better than another. That is as long as they are in the ball park with the manufacturer's spec. As long as you are running a bike with a dry clutch, and separate transmission and crank oil, you can mix and match without a problem. The tea kettle should require a bit of care before adding oil.

Iron Rey 04-18-2013 01:51 PM

I go 10K between with Mobil 1 from Wally World, I also use either the Purolator or Mobil 1 filter, my oil analysis says I could probably go another 5K.

Kind of an aside, I was contemplating going to a KN cleanable filter but was cautioned against it by both my dealer (they would have made more money) but I have heard from others that since it is washable, allows greater flow, that the mesh is larger and allows more dirt through. I really don't want feelings, but facts, has anyone done something like an oil analysis to support this (greater amounts for PM and PM10)?

allonsye 04-18-2013 01:58 PM

NAPA Auto Parts

.....their syn is very reasonably priced.

Lensgrinder 04-18-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjack (Post 21216866)

I found that at walmart before.

acejones 04-18-2013 02:07 PM

The only thing that's really important is that you have enough oil in the engine.

def 04-18-2013 02:16 PM

You might consider any of the brand name HDEOs in 15w-40 viscosity. They are available everywhere, at truck stops, autoparts, Wal-mart and are very reasonably priced. As for the filter, OE, Mobil or Purolator are considered the best.

No Frams.

def 04-18-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Rey (Post 21217401)
I go 10K between with Mobil 1 from Wally World, I also use either the Purolator or Mobil 1 filter, my oil analysis says I could probably go another 5K.

Kind of an aside, I was contemplating going to a KN cleanable filter but was cautioned against it by both my dealer (they would have made more money) but I have heard from others that since it is washable, allows greater flow, that the mesh is larger and allows more dirt through. I really don't want feelings, but facts, has anyone done something like an oil analysis to support this (greater amounts for PM and PM10)?

Check with BITOG regarding oil filter particle size and particle size distribution.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:54 PM.