ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   A New Pannier Thread! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880666)

deltamed 04-20-2013 10:03 PM

A New Pannier Thread!

Just bought a shiny new (new to me) 2011 F800GS. Getting a bit frustrated trying to decide which pannier cases to buy. Most folks who manufacturer these have woeful websites with few pictures and even less info (weight, break away systems, capacity, ect)
I'm considering Touratech Zega Pro, Jesse Luggage, H&P Xplorer and Carabou Pelican case systems... Pretty much got it narrowed down to the Touratech or the Jesse... But that's not set in stone.
PLEASE hammer out a quick message on this thread and let me know what you're using and how you like them...

Thanks!

ThatGuy 04-20-2013 10:12 PM

i bought a set of the Holan Nomada cases which are pretty much the Zega Pros(Nomada used to manufacture the Zegas for TT) and I like them.

All that you listed are good choices. I prefer top loading and a good amount of space. Which ones are you leaning too?

slowpoke 04-20-2013 10:28 PM

http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-F650GS-F800GS-Twin.aspx

Nacho911 04-21-2013 01:07 AM

SW-Motec EVO rack. Pelican 1550 cases. Bombproof. Smash a case, take it in and replace it for life for FREE. Solid, waterproof. Get a 4 lock set of RV camper truck attachment dumbel locks that no one can cut, and they don't rattle. Entire setup is about $900.00. Pelican 1550 cases are 35liters per case. Don't over pack and over weight your bike.

For soft bags, go with Kriega. Waterproof, and 10 year warranty

N

redviffer 04-21-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deltamed (Post 21233537)
Just bought a shiny new (new to me) 2011 F800GS. Getting a bit frustrated trying to decide which pannier cases to buy. Most folks who manufacturer these have woeful websites with few pictures and even less info (weight, break away systems, capacity, ect)
I'm considering Touratech Zega Pro, Jesse Luggage, H&P Xplorer and Carabou Pelican case systems... Pretty much got it narrowed down to the Touratech or the Jesse... But that's not set in stone.
PLEASE hammer out a quick message on this thread and let me know what you're using and how you like them...

Thanks!

I bought mine with the BMW panniers made by touratech. Within a few outings off road in some rough stuff the frames and panniers were buckled. I bashed and bent them back in to shape with a rubber mallet but they never quite attached to the frames properly after that nor did they stay sealed and watertight. I replaced them with Touratech Zega panniers and exactly the same thing happened. I went for Hepco and Becker Gobi panniers after that as I didn't trust aluminium. The Gobi's were well made, looked bullet proof and I'm sure would take a beating off road but they were heavy, quite wide and looked like they held less than they were supposed to. I sold them and replaced them with Metal Mule panniers. So far they look much tougher than anything made of metal that I have seen so far. I haven't had a decent off on them but I trust they will be ok. If I ever go for crazy off road stuff again I will use the racks but equip them with Wolfman soft luggage just in case.

Here is a pic of them on a recent trip, scroll to the bottom:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...37723&page=231

vtbob 04-21-2013 05:15 AM

I went thru a similar search process. In the end I bought Jessie's.

Here's why

They have a GREAT mounting rack design, narrow and tough. They are the narrowest cases when mounted with the largest volume. If you search the blog here some where you will find that a couple of people have plotted out the installed width of several manufactures. Jessie has the best width vs volume ratio.

The bags and mounts are tough. The bags don't leak.

I like the ability to move the bags back and forth. forward if I'm riding alone for better weigh distribution....back if I have a passenger and they need more leg room.

wbrisett 04-21-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redviffer (Post 21234120)
I went for Hepco and Becker Gobi panniers after that as I didn't trust aluminium. The Gobi's were well made, looked bullet proof and I'm sure would take a beating off road but they were heavy, quite wide and looked like they held less than they were supposed to.

You forgot the coolest feature, each (and why they don't seem to hold as much as they should), each bag has double-walls. Between the walls, you can put 2L? or 3L? (I forget) of water as long as you add the spigot. Although, when you do add water, you can certainly tell you're hauling some extra weight around back there. But if you aren't going where water is plentiful, then it's a good thing to have and you don't have to worry about space.

Another option is to talk to the folks at XplorerMoto about the Bumot panniers. I put them on my GSA and really like them. I think they are every bit as good as the Jesse systems (and now available for the GS800).

http://www.xplorermoto.com/bumot.html

WERA456 04-21-2013 06:13 AM

I just got an f8 also. Based on my crash testing my old 650single. I chose to go with with the same set up on the f8.
I had hoppy trails racks and mounted pelican 1430 top loader boxes to them using HT L brackets.
Took this set up on the TAT and beat the crap out of them. A couple of scratches but still solid.
I am going to go with a larger 1440 on the f8 just installed the trusty HT racks last night.

precarious 04-21-2013 06:31 AM

Had Jesse Odyssey 2s on my Strom. Tough, cavernous, and relatively sleek considering the volume. They are a little heavy, though. Something like 25 lbs as I recall. But, they did well supporting the weight of the bike in some low speed tip overs and managed to accidentally bash a mirror off of a car trying to squeeze me in CA. Oops...

And if the insides don't have enough space for you, Jesse sells racks for the tops of the sidecases.

An interesting article on Cycle World about a GS world rider said to actually choose the smallest cases you can, because you will always find a way to fill larger ones, but you will always have what you really need with smaller ones. I liked the size of mine because I could fit my Stich 1-piece with room to spare in one side and keep it safe when I was off the bike.

Hipster 04-21-2013 06:36 AM

I sent you a PM.

Unstable Rider 04-21-2013 08:00 AM

Pelican Hardigg Storms
iM2600 Storm Cases without Foam

(and get some SW Motech racks from Twisted Throttle).

(if you ask, they have them in other colors too, gray, orange, OD green, Desert Storm tan)

$116.50 each with free shipping, USA

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569015-REG/Hardigg_Storm_Case_IM2600_00000_iM2600_Storm_Case_ without.html

Ahhh, Pelicans... :evil

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7c68a9db.jpg

runnin4melife 04-21-2013 08:17 AM

When I bought mine I got a sweet deal on the BMW aluminum cases so I went with them. I honestly love the system. Down sides are that they are wide which I have hit a tree or two with them (I hit one so hard once that it actually popped the case off! Had to whack a few things back into place with a rubber maul but it looks like new). They are a bit heavy but they are rough and tough! I looked at many systems before and like some of the other ones too but think mine are the best for me.

Now if I was going to be super cheap I would either buy (or make) a rack system and then go to a surplus store and buy some mortar ammo cans and make a heavy duty pannier system. These are cool, low profile and can work just as good as any other system. They are heavy (steel) though. Pick what appeals to you in terms of looks, functionality, and price.

I also have a new loop that I will be running on the back as well to stow more gear for long trips. :evil

Spektrum84 04-21-2013 08:30 AM

Don't we all go through this tough decision when it comes to buying a pannier setup?
I was set on buying the Jesse luggage for my F800GS until I did some thinking about their weight, cost, size, prices of parts. I don't doubt their built quality. I hear their some really tough boxes. But they are heavy, big, and will scuff in the event you lay down the bike. Jesse boxes have tons of room for gear and they are one of the narrowest setups available if not the narrowest for their capacity. But for them to have that capacity that have to be big somewhere! Take a look at some pictures of them installed on bikes from the side and you'll see. Just too big for my taste. I don't really need to take EVERYTHING with me on my trips. Filling those up would be a bunch of added weight, and as posted in another thread, can damage the sub frame if you take a spill with all that weight.
So I bought a set of Caribou iM2600 boxes. The come with locks and retaining lanyards to keep them form opening too far when they're mounted. Can't beat the warranty (You break it, they replace it)! They look great on an adventure bike :thumbup and you can find pannier racks that are balanced! Holan and Metal Mule both offer balanced racks (I bought the Holan rack because they're cheaper and I knew they would fit with the Beowulf Oval exhaust)

CheckerdD 04-21-2013 08:56 AM

I bought the 800 with BMW ADV bag with a trip to South America in mind. They held up fine whereas my buddies Jessies odyssey's had to be welded twice. 2500 miles on gravel roads by the way. 38k miles on the bike now. If your really going to emphasize off pavement you want soft bags which wont break your legs.
I really don't think there is a perfect pannier. You need to think about size, do you really want something really big, and you need to think about whether you want top loading or side loading, and you need to think about do you want ones that you can easily take off to bring into the hotel at night. Different answers to those questions dictate purchasing different bags. I am taking the same stock bags to Russia next year. Dave

deltamed 04-21-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy (Post 21233580)
i bought a set of the Holan Nomada cases which are pretty much the Zega Pros(Nomada used to manufacture the Zegas for TT) and I like them.

All that you listed are good choices. I prefer top loading and a good amount of space. Which ones are you leaning too?

I'm thinking the top loaders are a wise choice as well. I like the way the Jesse cases fit, but hear they are very heavy. (will have to shoot them a message. It was an old post, and Jesse has updated them since) The Zega Pros are looking good as well, but they seem to charge $100 bucks for every little additional feature. Guess if the're good, it's worth it...

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:10 PM.