ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Garmin 78 - still a good candidate for an off road GPS? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881108)

dieselcruiserhead 04-22-2013 12:34 PM

Garmin 78 - still a good candidate for an off road GPS?
 
hi guys,
Been 6 months since I got to the bottom of this and just checking that not much has changed? At the time I came to the conclusion I shoud get the 78 because it does what my old GPS does (older Trex HXC) but can be plugged in and display several tracks at once.

I'm currently on an old eTrex and it does almost everything I want for most off-road riding. My only complaints are wear to the jack when plugged in when riding, so I use batteries, and that you can only load one track at a time instead of several. I'm not interested in the Montana mostly because the price.

this still hold true?

thanks

250senuf 04-22-2013 12:54 PM

I'd say YES. Some people don't like the buttons above the screen other than that ...
I still prefer buttons to touch screen. For $200 it's a great value. It has a nice niche between the old and the latest/"greatest" Garmin has to offer.

Emmbeedee 04-23-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead (Post 21243960)
hi guys,
Been 6 months since I got to the bottom of this and just checking that not much has changed? At the time I came to the conclusion I shoud get the 78 because it does what my old GPS does (older Trex HXC) but can be plugged in and display several tracks at once.

I'm currently on an old eTrex and it does almost everything I want for most off-road riding. My only complaints are wear to the jack when plugged in when riding, so I use batteries, and that you can only load one track at a time instead of several. I'm not interested in the Montana mostly because the price.

this still hold true?

thanks

The 78 series is really good value for the money. The 78 and the Montana are the only ones I recommend for bike use since they both have good power options. Anything that uses Mini USB only for power is not worth getting for bike use. Batteries are ok for handheld use but they die quickly if the backlight needs to be on.

dieselcruiserhead 04-23-2013 07:52 PM

Awesome - thank you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, hence the typos...

mcnut 04-24-2013 11:09 AM

+1, and don't let the fact the 78 is a "marine" GPS or that the buttons are on top worry you, the 78 is almost identical to the 62 function wise and some actually prefer the buttons on top.

Bruce

dlh62c 04-25-2013 01:24 AM

It's all a compromise.

The GPSMAP 78 uses a patch antenna, which has very good reception as long as the unit is held flat. The 62 uses a quad helix antenna. The quad helix antenna improves reception and is better suited to holding the GPS in a more upright vertical position.

daryl

Emmbeedee 04-25-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlh62c (Post 21263398)
It's all a compromise.

The GPSMAP 78 uses a patch antenna, which has very good reception as long as the unit is held flat. The 62 uses a quad helix antenna. The quad helix antenna improves reception and is better suited to holding the GPS in a more upright vertical position.

This is true but I've never heard of this causing any real issue in normal use, on a bike, though. My wife had a 76 for years and it was always as accurate as my 60CSx.

dlh62c 04-25-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmbeedee (Post 21263577)
This is true but I've never heard of this causing any real issue in normal use, on a bike, though. My wife had a 76 for years and it was always as accurate as my 60CSx.

The point is that the 78 series is different than the 62 in another way other than just button location and the power cable. I've never had any problems with my 62 when held flat.

daryl

Emmbeedee 04-25-2013 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlh62c (Post 21263598)
The point is that the 78 series is different than the 62 in another way other than just button location and the power cable.

That's as may be, but the thread is called "Garmin 78 - still a good candidate for an off road GPS?" so it's worth mentioning that the antenna type is a moot point in real use.

Ditch 04-25-2013 05:22 AM

I've been very happy with mine and with the long battery life I don't bother with the power cable. I usually only do day rides so multi day rides the power cable option might be better.
Like some others, I prefer buttons.

mattmus4357 04-25-2013 08:07 AM

I'm still loving mine. I've ridden over 1000 miles with it the past two weeks. It doesn't have to be held "flat", I've got mine mounted on the bars at an angle >45 degrees and I've never had a problem.

dieselcruiserhead 04-25-2013 08:36 AM

I missed the crazy deals over the winter, seems like they are about $230 is the best I can find unless someone has a link...

Albie 04-25-2013 12:30 PM

A little cheaper here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GARMIN-G...item51a7ade2ae

Emmbeedee 04-25-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albie (Post 21267036)

You'd want to make sure Garmin will honour the warranty before buying one of those. I'm not saying they won't, but they do have this policy in effect for eBay purchases.

NorthernTraveler 04-26-2013 09:51 AM

West Marine $200
 
West Marine has been having the base 78 on sale for $200 off and on every few weeks over the past few months.

If they are not on sale now, they probably will be soon.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014