ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   GPS Wiring (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881184)

trevorsg80 04-22-2013 05:07 PM

GPS Wiring

I installing a Gramin GPS onto my F800GS and I am having problems finding an auxiliary (think that is the correct term) wire to tap into for when my bike is powered off. I connected it (yellow wire from GPS) directly to my battery but obviously it's always drawing power from the battery in that configuration. Can anybody post a pic or describe where they spliced it.

Much appreciation.

Trevor

runnin4melife 04-22-2013 05:31 PM

The auxiliary plug that is up near the key is a great place to tie into as it is activated by the canbus, key out, no power, key in power :evil

trevorsg80 04-22-2013 05:33 PM

Well shit. That would be a logical place to splice in. Tha's probably why I didn't think of it.

Thanks. I give that a try.

runnin4melife 04-22-2013 05:41 PM

Don't worry someone pointed that out to me as well:bert

LukasM 04-22-2013 05:46 PM

You can get a pigtail from BMW that plugs right in there and gives you switched power, about $25 IIRC.

Grits&Gravy 04-22-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorsg80 (Post 21245959)
Well shit. That would be a logical place to splice in. Tha's probably why I didn't think of it.

Thanks. I give that a try.

It depends on which GPS you have. If you have a Zumo 660 or 665, there is no issue with using the factory plug for a power source via canbus, but if you have a GPS or Garmin Zumo that has an external voltage reducer and you use the factory canbus plug the voltage reducer will confuse the canbus system and discharge your battery. How do I know this? Prior to having a Zumo 660 I had a Zumo 220 and this happened to me. Hope this helps...

trevorsg80 04-22-2013 06:28 PM

I just finished splicing into the auxiliary plug ground (?) and it works like a charm. After about a minute it kills the power.

Thanks for the prompt help guys.

shashankmittal 04-29-2013 08:57 AM

The standard GPS plug is switched and is a good option, but bear in mind that it will keep your connected devices "on" for more than 30 seconds even after you turn off the ignition.

There may be other better solutions, but this is what I did:

1. Installed a fuse box from Centech
2. Installed a relay to tap switched power supply.
3. The relay is connected to the tail light (blue wire under the seat at the far rear end).

The advantages are:
1. The devices do not put load on the stock wiring, instead the devices are powered directly by the bike's battery. This is specially helpful to prevent any CANbus related faults.
2. The devices turn off immediately after the ignition is turned off. No waiting!
3. The fuse box allows me to connect multiple switched devices - GPS, radar detector, aux lights, heated gear, etc with centrally located individual fuses for each device....provides for a much cleaner install!
4. There are terminals on the fuse box to connect un-switched devices. I use this primarily for battery charging connector.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:32 AM.