ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Found a R69 under a pile of junk in a friends basement . . . (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881280)

Bleemus 04-23-2013 05:33 AM

Found a R69 under a pile of junk in a friends basement . . .

21k miles. No dents and his wife said "it ran rough when we put it down there 10 years ago."

My friend loved to ride but he isn't mechanical at all so when something breaks he parks it till I fix it. I seem to have to fix his mowers and other small engines all the time. This gem has my interest piqued.

I would like to surprise him by restoring this to running condition. New tires obviously, rebuild shocks etc. but since I have never worked on one of these old bikes I am wondering if I am getting in over my head.

His wife thinks he would really enjoy riding again and is willing to make it look like it is still under the pile after I sneak away with it on a trailer so it would be a real surprise. Giving it serious thought.

AntonLargiader 04-23-2013 05:44 AM

That would be pretty cool. The engine probably doesn't need more than a good carb overhaul and maybe checking the top end for valve condition, cylinder wall condition, etc. Plus tune-up stuff. They are pretty simple bikes. New rubber bits, maybe new cables, that's all doable by a person with basic mechanical inclination.

If he were going to start riding it a LOT and the bike had led a rough life, you might think about the slingers but that would be a job for someone else. At 21k miles, I sure wouldn't worry about that.

There are plenty of resources for your project. The vintage clubs, the /2 Yahoo list, here, Duane's website, and more.

Whorepedo 04-23-2013 05:52 AM

More importantly... What are you and his wife doing in the basement without him? :evil

...kidding.

Thats an awesome find! If you do pick it up to rebuild, a rebuild thread is a must. I love seeing them come back to life!

Bleemus 04-23-2013 05:58 AM

I was just helping her find something she lost long ago. Honest! :wink::wink::wink:

Thanks Anton for the thumbs up. Looks like I am going to need to learn a new language if I take this project on so how about speeding up my education and telling me what a "slinger" is for this Airhead newbie. I am mechanically inclined but motorbike wrenching is a weak point as I am just getting back into riding after a long hiatus. Started the year right by getting a 99 f650. :1drink

Beater 04-23-2013 06:51 AM

WE require pictures. Seriously.

Just the Bike. :lol3

hardwaregrrl 04-23-2013 06:54 AM

Pics, or it didn't happen.:deal

Here's a "won't burn your eyes":evil article on slingers.

Bill Harris 04-23-2013 07:30 AM

Slingers? You remember on the old Honda singles and twins from the '60's the oil was pumped into a cavity in the clutch housing in the way to the engine bearings where the centrifugal force of the rotating crankshaft "slung" out the particles in the oil, thereby cleaning it? Same principle, but the BMW slingers are harder to get at for cleaning.

--Bill

CanadaBiker 04-23-2013 08:28 AM

Why don't you just offer to buy the bike. I think if you work at getting it restored you might end up wanting to own it. If your pal hasn't ridden it in 10 years, nor had the motivation to get someone to fix it, then maybe it's just not in his blood? Not saying you should be a bad friend, but really, we all dig different things. Nothing wrong with that.

Pokie 04-23-2013 09:41 AM

Is it an R69 or an R69S? Either way, it should be owned by someone mechanical. Back when they were made, they were so much better than anything else on the market. These days, almost anything is better. They take a lot of tinkering but if you treat them right and keep their oil clean, they will last a very long time.

It's not that uncommon to see these put away because they were running badly. The big thing here is the slingers. If the oil is left dirty for long periods of time, the slingers will clog with the filth in the oil. If some smart-ass decides to put some oil cleaning crap in the crankcase, again, the slingers will fill up. If the top end is rebuilt because the pistons started slapping or scoring,.... the slingers will fill up with ring and piston skirt. Any way you look at it, start with cleaning the slingers. That means pulling the crank and either cleaning the slingers or replacing them. Once this job is done and the oil kept clean, the motor will last a very long time.

Bleemus 04-23-2013 09:48 AM

It is under such a big pile of junk that I didn't get to go over it with a fine tooth comb but I did see the plaque on the steering column and I believe it said R69US.

Looks like when I extract this antique I will be learning a lot about slingers!

disston 04-23-2013 09:58 AM

I would love to find something like that. Just like everybody else here.

I'm no expert but believe an R69US Is pretty much the same as an R69S except it has telescopic forks like modern machines instead of the Earles fork. They may have only been produced in 1969 or at the most a couple of years only.

One of the experts will know more than I. But I'll add one more thing, I know, you want this bike.

Pokie 04-23-2013 10:09 AM

Ok, if it said R69US that means it has telescopic forks (already suggested) but it also means it's either a 1968 or a 1969. In '68 the tele forks were an option in '69 they were standard. The frame will also be missing the sidecar mounts.

Biebs 04-23-2013 10:28 AM

Do the basic's to get it running.

Follow Anton's advice with 21K you do not need to do the Slingers. Just do the basice to get it running - then you and the owner can decide what's next.

Oh and heed this advice - do not put any kind of cleaner / engine flush in crankcase this will cause junk to break loose and clog the I believe hollow crank and lead to oil starvation bad stuff. Just drain and add new clean oil.:eek1

Bleemus 04-23-2013 04:49 PM

Okay. All great advice and at 21k I don't need to crack the engine to clean the slingers. So I am looking at two new tires, carb rebuilds, shock rebuilds. Things I think I can handle. There is a BMW guru north of me that is highly thought of in case I run into trouble. I will try to get some pics tomorrow. Thanks to all!

ADK 04-23-2013 04:56 PM

check the brake pads also, the glue gets old and lets go.(possibly at an inconvenient time.)

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:21 AM.