ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Americas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Honduras to Belize by Ferry? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881598)

chrisf14 04-24-2013 07:03 AM

Honduras to Belize by Ferry?

I was told there was a ferry to take cars from Honduras to Belize some years ago. But everything I look up is small for just people. I would like to take my moto that way to save time and boarder crossing. Any help I would be grateful.
:happay

tjt94 04-25-2013 05:27 PM

We looked for a ferry last summer too. There are none. However, there is a very good border crossing that is not on most maps (at least not then, it is on google now). It is between Puerto Cortes and Puerto Barrios. It cuts off a lot of miles through Guatemala. Cross there and then catch CA13 up to the crossing into Belize. We were all the way through Belize and ready to go back into Mexico in a fairly short day.

Sjoerd Bakker 04-26-2013 08:33 AM

Your information is correct, no car carrying ferries between Honduras and Belize.
The short road route described is by way of El Corinto Honduras.
From Pto.Cortes , Honduras follow the excellent highway west along the Gulf of Omoa.
Corinto has limited daylight hours of service for doing HN exit paperwork
On Guatemalan side there is only a small roadside Aduana kiosk about 10km
into the country and they will look at your papers and direct you to go to the full
service customs and immigration terminal in the Harbour area
of Puerto Barrios . Regardless of what they tell you , RIDE YOUR BIKE to that terminal. Some misguided official at the kiosk may say you have to take a taxi, NOT so!.
By the way , if you are on a trip to see C A why would you want to avoid riding through
such a nice part of it ?

tjt94 04-26-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker (Post 21273303)
Your information is correct, no car carrying ferries between Honduras and Belize.
The short road route described is by way of El Corinto Honduras.
From Pto.Cortes , Honduras follow the excellent highway west along the Gulf of Omoa.
Corinto has limited daylight hours of service for doing HN exit paperwork
On Guatemalan side there is only a small roadside Aduana kiosk about 10km
into the country and they will look at your papers and direct you to go to the full
service customs and immigration terminal in the Harbour area
of Puerto Barrios . Regardless of what they tell you , RIDE YOUR BIKE to that terminal. Some misguided official at the kiosk may say you have to take a taxi, NOT so!.
By the way , if you are on a trip to see C A why would you want to avoid riding through
such a nice part of it ?

The immigration terminal in Puerto Barrios so easy to find and quick. There is a very fine restaurant around the corner from it as well. The proprietor tried to convince me to staying and his granddaughter would teach me Spanish. He told my friend I would be the mayor of the city within a couple of years. I didn't stay but it is always an option to see if it is still open. (The point is that Puerto Barrios is very friendly and accomodating)

chrisf14 04-26-2013 02:36 PM

Great Info Guy's

You guys are a big help.

From this area Honduras / Guatemala boarder to Belize. How are the roads? Paved or dirt. And what about security. Pretty safe at night?

tjt94 04-26-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisf14 (Post 21275538)
You guys are a big help.

From this area Honduras / Guatemala boarder to Belize. How are the roads? Paved or dirt. And what about security. Pretty safe at night?

Really great paved roads. I am not someone that likes to ride at night though. I did end up riding after dark in Belize and did not particularly enjoy it. There was quite a bit of traffic and it was a two lane road. Be sure you are fueled in Belize because the fuel stops are difficult to find and far between.

chrisf14 04-26-2013 03:16 PM

Fuel?

Is the fuel hard to find from Honduras to Belize or Belize to Cancun way?

Sjoerd Bakker 04-29-2013 02:36 PM

Once you leave Puerto Barrios for Cancun by way of the main paved highways
you will find gasoline filling stations at regular intervals and there will be no excuse
for running out for anyone riding a bike with a decent capacity tank .
Fill up first thing every morning and if your supply drops below half or before
going off the main highways to explore gravel roads into the back country of
Guatemala or Belize.
Pto Barrios ,Rio Dulce, Poptun , tri- cities at Flores, El REMATE,, Melchor De Mencos
and others all can serve you gas.
Belize , same story , gas at all towns on Western Highway to BZ City,
Hummingbird is short , gas at junction to Southern Hiway and Dangriga,
Southern Hiway gas at several points a bit off the road at Big Creek and Placencia
at Dump and Punta Gorda
Northern highway at various towns well within range of even the.
tiniest tank.
In Mexico gas is right at the border, in nearby Chetumal, and convenient spacings along Mex 307
all the way to Cancun.
Same story all overMexico' s highways really, pay attention to your distance till last fill
and top up if the distance to next town seems long . There will be no excuse for
sputtering to a halt

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:38 AM.