ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   R1150GS in the Rain looses ABS / Check Engine LIght (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882111)

GS Yinzer 04-25-2013 08:09 PM

R1150GS in the Rain looses ABS / Check Engine LIght

Hey Guys.... I've recently picked up a 2003 R1150 GS with ABS Brakes. Every time I ride home in the rain, my check engine light comes on. A couple of times the ABS Brakes failed as well.

Any comments?

Thanx

hootch 04-25-2013 10:21 PM

Electrical?

Sounds like an electrical connection to me. Pull the tank and clean/grease with dialelectic grease. While you are there, bleed the fluid from the ABS unit. There are instructions posted on this site, but basically it is the two bleed valves on the top of the unit. I always bleed the lines to the brakes first, then the ABS, that way I know that it is getting clean fluid. Be sure to check the condition of the lines. I just replaced all the stockers with braided stainless. Much better, and I was just starting to get tiny black specks in the fluid from the lines breaking down. It seems that 00-04 have that problem. $185 from Cyclebrakes and an afternoon made it all better. Have fun!

Beezer 04-25-2013 11:48 PM

agree with the above.... except for one thing,,, if you still have the original rubber lines replace them before you bleed the brakes. rubber lines of that era are coming apart inside and polluting the system

Rockmuncher 04-26-2013 05:12 AM

I think the '03 had the servo abs, bleeding is a little more involved than the others but still not that bad. If it has 4 (I think) bleeders on the abs pump, it's a servo unit. Does it make a wizzy noise when you apply brakes?
I would also look at the wiring harness around the ignition. They tied them too tight and some of the wires might break. There is also a couple of unfused circuits you might want to protect too.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=unfused

GS Yinzer 04-26-2013 11:20 AM

GS Whizzy Brakes

My GS has the Wizzy Brakes. I also see it still has the original brake lines as well. I plan on ordering up some new lines regardless to swap out the original. My neighbor has a bitchin garage. He should be able to help me out with the ABS / Whizzy Brakes and Bleeding.

Once I get these swapped over, I'll let you know how things go come first ride in the rain.

BTW: will the check engine light come on when the battery gets low as well?

THanks again for all of your help / knowledge.

Rockmuncher 04-29-2013 06:24 AM

Get the funnel from Beemer Boneyard to do the bleeding, helps a lot. Speedbleeders are good too.
Not sure about the check engine light with low battery. Low battery makes the ABS light go on though.

estlerd 04-29-2013 07:28 AM

Wet wiring?

The other day after washing my 01 1150GS the gear indicator went haywire. It might show fifth gear when it was in second. Shifting up to third it might show a downshift to first. Strangely the neutral indicator worked perfect. Anyway, after riding awhile, in dry conditions, the problem went away & has not repeated.:norton

GS Yinzer 05-02-2013 08:34 PM

i've got the new brake lines on order. Once I do the lines / remove the tank. I plan on sticking some di-electric grease on the connections. Let's see if this does the trick.

Driving home tonight, I went from 1 to none bulbs in my speedo / tacho cluster. I found a thread awhile back with LED upgrades. I am thinking a GREEN dashboard will do me fine.

JurgenB 05-03-2013 08:16 PM

My guess would be that cable insulation was rubbed open, likely in the area around the steering head where things move around. When water gets into it wires get shorted. I have had a few issues like that with my bike as well. Undo the zip ties and carefully examine your cable harness.
Have fun. These types of glitches are a b*tch to find.

slartidbartfast 05-04-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estlerd (Post 21291713)
The other day after washing my 01 1150GS the gear indicator went haywire. It might show fifth gear when it was in second. Shifting up to third it might show a downshift to first. Strangely the neutral indicator worked perfect. Anyway, after riding awhile, in dry conditions, the problem went away & has not repeated.:norton

The gear indicator and neutral indicator are two separate devices, stacked on top of each other on the back of the transmission. You might just spray a load of WD-40 down there which could help. Best is to avoid spraying water down there while washing your bike. Certainly don't EVER use a pressure washer.

slartidbartfast 05-04-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS Yinzer (Post 21270371)
Hey Guys.... I've recently picked up a 2003 R1150 GS with ABS Brakes. Every time I ride home in the rain, my check engine light comes on. A couple of times the ABS Brakes failed as well.

Any comments?

Thanx

None of the other responders have thought to mention that the 1150GS doesn't have a "Check Engine" light.

Maybe your alternator belt is loose so it slips when wet and the charge light is coming on? Which light is it exactly?

Ragin Rabbi 05-04-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slartidbartfast (Post 21334385)
None of the other responders have thought to mention that the 1150GS doesn't have a "Check Engine" light.

Maybe your alternator belt is loose so it slips when wet and the charge light is coming on? Which light is it exactly?

I'll bet it is the red exclamation point light beneath the break light on the gauges. If so, that too is a break failure indicator light, no?

GS Yinzer 05-09-2013 05:29 AM

the light

it's the triangle / explamation point light. i will be calling beemer boneyard later today to get the funell tool. my new brake lines should be here in the next day or so. regardless, the brake lines are in need of an overhaul, and new brake juice is never a bad thing.

i have to change the bulbs in my speedo / tach. once inside, i will check for busted insulation.

thanks again...

slartidbartfast 05-09-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS Yinzer (Post 21366823)
it's the triangle / explamation point light. i will be calling beemer boneyard later today to get the funell tool. my new brake lines should be here in the next day or so. regardless, the brake lines are in need of an overhaul, and new brake juice is never a bad thing.

i have to change the bulbs in my speedo / tach. once inside, i will check for busted insulation.

thanks again...

Ahah! It's actually a brake failure light coming on when you ride in the rain, not a check engine light at all. Check the wiring to and from the wheel speed sensors for any chafes or nicks. Check the plugs those wires connect to under the tank and (probably) along a frame rail somewhere on the rear of the bike. If you have a friendly dealer nearby, they can hook up to their diagnostic computer and probably pinpoint the circuit causing the trouble.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:04 PM.