ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   garmin 62 map help pls (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887505)

stormsearcher 05-15-2013 08:10 PM

garmin 62 map help pls

i bought a garmin maP62 cheap online. being my first GPS unit i had no idea the 62 does not take an SD card but hass a built in memory of 1.71 g approx.

My friend loaded shonky australia topo on the GPSMAP62. It does notb seem to show up on the unit but it is there when i open the map files on the unit using the computer.
is there any trick to it being displayed? any suggestions please?

ciedema 05-15-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormsearcher (Post 21418634)
i bought a garmin maP62 cheap online. being my first GPS unit i had no idea the 62 does not take an SD card but hass a built in memory of 1.71 g approx.

My friend loaded shonky australia topo on the GPSMAP62. It does notb seem to show up on the unit but it is there when i open the map files on the unit using the computer.

On the map page open the menu and make sure map enabled.

XRman 05-15-2013 08:21 PM

62 or 62S

my 62S has a card slot under the batteries for tiny little cards. I put OZtopo on mine and T4A.

Goosefeather 05-15-2013 09:58 PM

From the GPSMAP 62 series owners manual

"NOTE: The microSd card option is available only with the GPSMAP 62s and GPSMAP 62st"

"From the map. press MENU

Select Setup Map > Map Information - allows you to enable or disable the maps currently loaded on the device"

mcguyver 05-15-2013 11:36 PM

From the map page
Menu
Setup map (enter)
Menu
Show shonky topo (enter)

If you also have any Garmin maps loaded you need to hide them from the same menu otherwise they will take precedence over the shonky mapset.

stormsearcher 05-16-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcguyver (Post 21419484)
From the map page
Menu
Setup map (enter)
Menu
Show shonky topo (enter)

If you also have any Garmin maps loaded you need to hide them from the same menu otherwise they will take precedence over the shonky mapset.

hi i cant see 'shonky' on the menu. there is birdseye global and some US/french/swiss etc maps but i cant find shonky. i have disabled all the maps.
on the comp i can see shonky in custom maps which i moved to birdsdeye but it is not visible in the map menu. any instructions pls?

Goosefeather 05-16-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormsearcher (Post 21425803)

hi i cant see 'shonky' on the menu. there is birdseye global and some US/french/swiss etc maps but i cant find shonky. i have disabled all the maps.
on the comp i can see shonky in custom maps which i moved to birdsdeye but it is not visible in the map menu. any instructions pls?

Is it possible that your friend didn't transfer the Shonky map set to the GPS?

If using Mapsource, activate Shonky from the pull down list of available maps, pick the Map Tool (looks like a five sided polygon), select the required map tiles, then "Send to Device" (assuming GPS is connected and visible to MapSource)

I don't have BaseCamp on this PC so can't comment on the process there

stormsearcher 05-16-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosefeather (Post 21425997)
Is it possible that your friend didn't transfer the Shonky map set to the GPS?

If using Mapsource, activate Shonky from the pull down list of available maps, pick the Map Tool (looks like a five sided polygon), select the required map tiles, then "Send to Device" (assuming GPS is connected and visible to MapSource)

I don't have BaseCamp on this PC so can't comment on the process there

i think mapsource is used for PCs and he used an apple maC.
The shonky is on the unit but can view it only on the computer when i open the unit. cant find it on the drop down menu when the unit is unplugged from the comp.
maybe i should download mapsource on my comp , copy the shonky on my comp and redo the process.
hmmm its a great learning process now .
is there any online material like a manual that i can read and use to get to know my GPS better?

Goosefeather 05-16-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormsearcher (Post 21426217)
is there any online material like a manual that i can read and use to get to know my GPS better?

Google is your friend . . .

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP62_OwnersManual.pdf

But that should have come with the unit.

Muruk59 05-16-2013 11:10 PM

I have one of these also!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormsearcher (Post 21418634)

Use the software downoaded form garmin (Base camp) and map install. THen you use the free service openstreetmap.org from there you select the tiles you want (the tiles are the areas of map)
You will get an up to date download of all roads and select the option for the garmin set up.
Once downloaded there is a file you click on (cant remember the exact names but it is really obvious when you are looking at it) and that imports the maps into base camp. From there it is as easy as to download into the GPS and you can select the maps in base camp from the pull down.
PM me if you want to run through things in detail.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:51 PM.