ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Phx,AZ The Grand Canyon Ride June 22&23-2013 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887507)

DR650SEDDY 05-15-2013 08:13 PM

Phx,AZ The Grand Canyon Ride June 22&23-2013
 
Details:

A 2 days ride On June 22 & 23 that features versatile terrains for all advanced Enduro riders.
Meet and take off point : Saturday June 22 @ 6am on Bell & I-17 (@ z Waffle house). Engines will STRAT @ 6:30 am . If u want to eat arrive earlier.

Day1 : Mileage to roll ~ 170 miles off-rd
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=D...16&via=7,8&z=9

Day2 : Mileage is ~ 210 off-road.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E...p=17&sz=15&z=9

Riders must ;
Maintain vigilance to the changes of terrains & elements, double and triple check ur bikes for any lack of maintenance ,tires, suspensions, brakes, chain, sprockets, any fluids leaks , etc...
Riders must ;
Carry the neccessary tools for road side repairs + extra light weight parts ( levers, tubes, air pump, bolts nuts washers ,but most of all a first aid kit that no one should be without). Must be able to perform minor repair on bikes such as flat tire, etc...
No cut in the ride, sorry we can't control what could happen during the ride, but you can always bail out at any moment.
The route (day1 or day2) can be diverted for what ever reason that might be. I hope all goes well and we don't have to result to that.
This ride is for advanced or expert riders only. Physically must be ready to tolerate long (maybe aggravated) rides.
Must have gas tank range for ~ 100 miles.

Navigations & Communications equipments :
It's optional but it is strongly suggested , hand radio are essential and can be critical in certain situations (regrouping & call for assistance).

Adv. riders beware:
Terrains we're crossing can change dramatically , it's very versatile so u & your bike must be as well . Even though we are sometimes in a very desolate areas, very primitive roads please you must keep the look out for incoming traffic.

Hotel in Flafstaff :
We will stay @ Day inn , it's within a walking distance to any convenience .
1000 w . hwy 66 Flagstaff Az 86001
Reservation # 928-774-5221 they offer AAA discount . (rate is about $79 a night if u call earlier). Camping is always optional for the bad ass ferocious ridez:lol3.

P.S : If someone wanted to join us as chase truck, I will send you the way points via googlemaps on where to meet us taking pavement route. We'll pitch in some $$$ for gas if it's ok with all.
If we have a fair weather then it should be an Epic ride:freaky .

BIG-E 05-16-2013 06:05 AM

Hey Eddy,

The only thing I am a "expert" in is, Eating Bacon and Smirf's, do I qualify??:evil:dg

Sounds like a good time. Have fun!

Deliverator 05-16-2013 06:58 AM

Subscribed
 
This is looks like an inspiring ride. Is it an annual event? I'll be watching you closely although I expect to on a pavement trip at that time myself.

I am interested in your use of ham radio, I haven't noticed any other ride doing so. I am a licensed operator, KJ6MIW, myself but don't see much reference to its use in the motorcycling community.

Do you have frequencies for the USFS and NPS or other agencies active on the route that you can use to access them from amateur bands? How did you get them?

Thanks in advance.

DR650SEDDY 05-16-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deliverator (Post 21420956)
This is looks like an inspiring ride. Is it an annual event? I'll be watching you closely although I expect to on a pavement trip at that time myself.

I am interested in your use of ham radio, I haven't noticed any other ride doing so. I am a licensed operator, KJ6MIW, myself but don't see much reference to its use in the motorcycling community.

Do you have frequencies for the USFS and NPS or other agencies active on the route that you can use to access them from amateur bands? How did you get them?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it's an annual event that I try to organize every year if time allowed. We try not to run on pavement Az riders are hard core off roaders they don't wanna hear the word black top:D it's like kryptonite to Superman:lol3.
Regarding radios I just referred to the use of talkabout 2-way radios something like FRS/GMRS Radios. I got me a Motorola set of two MH230R, 22 miles range (all hazards NOAA Weather radio) 22 channels, 121 privacy codes, 2662 combinations. I mean that the minimum we can do to keep contact in case the group spread out over long distance.

drdfblackm 05-16-2013 09:24 AM

Keep in mind Eddy I can always help out as I am sure that others would not mind doing. I am pretty sure I will hook up with you guys, but those dates are a bet sketchy for me riding at this point but I can always help out in a bind. You have my number and I can bring tools or whatever if I am not riding with you guys.

DR650SEDDY 05-16-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drdfblackm (Post 21422054)
Keep in mind Eddy I can always help out as I am sure that others would not mind doing. I am pretty sure I will hook up with you guys, but those dates are a bet sketchy for me riding at this point but I can always help out in a bind. You have my number and I can bring tools or whatever if I am not riding with you guys.

Much appreciated D. :thumb.
Quote:

but those dates are a bet sketchy for me riding at this point
I try to do it before monsoon season, u know how much I love :eek1mud :lol3...

drdfblackm 05-16-2013 11:31 AM

Not a fan of the mud either....nor horses!!!!

DR650SEDDY 05-16-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG-E (Post 21420617)
Hey Eddy,

The only thing I am a "expert" in is, Eating Bacon and Smirf's, do I qualify??:evil:dg

Sounds like a good time. Have fun!

Thanks Eric I hope u can join us http://drriders.com/images/smilies/smooth/yes.gif ...

utefan 05-16-2013 11:58 AM

Sounds Awesome
 
This sounds awesome! I unfortunately will be out of town on the 22nd.:cry Let me know if this gets moved to a later date as I would love to do this ride. Have a good time!

DR650SEDDY 05-16-2013 02:58 PM

I am having second thoughts about scouting that scary:eek1 places this Sunday for my recon ride in preps for The Grand CaNyOn Ride (day2).
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...87613650_n.jpg

Another angle of to how steep that uphill could be.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...87342110_n.jpg

Bigbugberg 05-16-2013 03:30 PM

Looking good Eddy!

I'm in for day 2!

DR650SEDDY 05-16-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbugberg (Post 21424744)
Looking good Eddy!

I'm in for day 2!

Can't be fun without you http://drriders.com/images/smilies/smooth/dance.gif...:clap

Kevinsterner 05-16-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY (Post 21418655)
Details:

A 2 days ride On June 22 & 23 that features versatile terrains for all advanced Enduro riders.
Meet and take off point : Saturday June 22 @ 6am on Bell & I-17 (@ z Waffle house). Engines will STRAT @ 6:30 am . If u want to eat arrive earlier.

Day1 : Mileage to roll ~ 170 miles off-rd
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=D...16&via=7,8&z=9

Day2 : Mileage is ~ 210 off-road.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E...p=17&sz=15&z=9

Riders must ;
Maintain vigilance to the changes of terrains & elements, double and triple check ur bikes for any lack of maintenance ,tires, suspensions, brakes, chain, sprockets, any fluids leaks , etc...
Riders must ;
Carry the neccessary tools for road side repairs + extra light weight parts ( levers, tubes, air pump, bolts nuts washers ,but most of all a first aid kit that no one should be without). Must be able to perform minor repair on bikes such as flat tire, etc...
No cut in the ride, sorry we can't control what could happen during the ride, but you can always bail out at any moment.
The route (day1 or day2) can be diverted for what ever reason that might be. I hope all goes well and we don't have to result to that.
This ride is for advanced or expert riders only. Physically must be ready to tolerate long (maybe aggravated) rides.
Must have gas tank range for ~ 100 miles.

Navigations & Communications equipments :
It's optional but it is strongly suggested , hand radio are essential and can be critical in certain situations (regrouping & call for assistance).

Adv. riders beware:
Terrains we're crossing can change dramatically , it's very versatile so u & your bike must be as well . Even though we are sometimes in a very desolate areas, very primitive roads please you must keep the look out for incoming traffic.

Hotel in Flafstaff :
We will stay @ Day inn , it's within a walking distance to any convenience .
1000 w . hwy 66 Flagstaff Az 86001
Reservation # 928-774-5221 they offer AAA discount . (rate is about $79 a night if u call earlier). Camping is always optional for the bad ass ferocious ridez:lol3.

P.S : If someone wanted to join us as chase truck, I will send you the way points via googlemaps on where to meet us taking pavement route. We'll pitch in some $$$ for gas if it's ok with all.
If we have a fair weather then it should be an Epic ride:freaky .

Hey Eddie, I can't make this trip but it looks like fun. Is this a route you could take a 650KLR on?

DR650SEDDY 05-16-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinsterner (Post 21427435)
Is this a route you could take a 650KLR on?

Yes u certainly can, but I assure u by the end of the day you'll be needing a full bottle of Advil extra strength :lol3 to bring down the pain, that's why I choose to ride my DRZ400 and not my 6fitty. Some of the route I've done on my DR then I redid it on my 400 and wow it was a breeze http://ktmtalk.com/html/emoticons/whoop.gif ...

kbblue 05-17-2013 11:42 AM

I'm in for Sunday! Try to keep away from the wild horses on the way up this year ok? :eek1

Hey BigE I think they only have veggie bacon up here. Maybe better bring some of your own just in case.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014