ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   950 se voltage rectifier/regulator (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888017)

gmtcm 05-17-2013 07:26 PM

950 se voltage rectifier/regulator
 
My friend recently had a voltage rectifier/regulator go bad on his 950 SE. It also took the battery with it. He has since moved the unit away from the rear cylinder exhaust pipe so it doesn't succomb to heat of the pipe. How many of you SE owners have experienced this? I have 20K miles on mine, and worry about a failure out in the middle of nowhere. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks - gmtcm

brents347 05-17-2013 07:38 PM

Not me, but MANY others. 20k seems to be alot, that is where I'm at as well. Move it now, an cross your fingers?

You could move the regulator, switch it for a new one and keep the old as a spare. At least that way you don't cook a battery.

Volke 05-17-2013 08:08 PM

My VRR went at 3950km's. It took the battery with it.

I bought a Rick's Motorsports VRR and a new battery, and so far with ~2100km on them, it's working.

triplenickel 05-17-2013 08:09 PM

I swapped my good working one proactively at 60k, I'll get around to moving the new unit one of these days.

gmtcm 05-17-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brents347 (Post 21433776)
Not me, but MANY others. 20k seems to be alot, that is where I'm at as well. Move it now, an cross your fingers?

You could move the regulator, switch it for a new one and keep the old as a spare. At least that way you don't cook a battery.

What happens is there is no early warning that it has taken out the battery, until the bike quits. By then it's too late. I guess I could install a voltmeter on the dash, but would probably never watch it and it would still go out.

randel 05-17-2013 11:24 PM

My regulator went at 47000km. Surprisingly I still have working original battery, 5 years old. New regulator is relocated to left side of frame, I also installed voltmeter.

Peanuts 05-18-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmtcm (Post 21434363)
What happens is there is no early warning that it has taken out the battery, until the bike quits. By then it's too late. I guess I could install a voltmeter on the dash, but would probably never watch it and it would still go out.

You may hear the battery whistling after you turn off the ignition. That is the sound of gas escaping because it is boiling up inside. Catch it early enough and the battery will survive.

Xmoto 05-18-2013 01:42 AM

My VRR went at 7000 miles and also took the battery with it. I replaced it with a Rick's Motorsports VRR . I had a strong sulfur smell coming from the battey as it was venting from the seems.

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...psc454aa8c.jpg

ststrider 05-18-2013 03:10 AM

my regulator went at 32000km and took the stator with it.

gmtcm 05-18-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randel (Post 21434719)
My regulator went at 47000km. Surprisingly I still have working original battery, 5 years old. New regulator is relocated to left side of frame, I also installed voltmeter.

I didn't think there was much room on the left side of the frame to re-locate the VRR? Could you send me a photo of yours>

Thanks - gmtcm

dzrtracin 05-18-2013 06:09 AM

Did Rick as well, 17k on the original RR & NO issues, just a precautionary measure. I kept the original mounting position as well. I figured since the original never failed from excessive heat, why on earth would the mosfet RR fail, just jinxed myself:lol3

RIDE ON!

charlie264 05-18-2013 06:16 AM

07 SE, same battery, same R/R.....same location.

dogsslober 05-18-2013 07:32 AM

Vrr
 
Getting close to 30,000 miles with Original VRR in stock location. Will prob buy a mosfet to replace sooner or later.

Two Moto Kiwis 05-18-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmtcm (Post 21435482)
I didn't think there was much room on the left side of the frame to re-locate the VRR? Could you send me a photo of yours>

Thanks - gmtcm

Heya gmtcm

Ours didn't fizz out but we proactively relocated it away from the oven.

There is plenty of wire to bring it around to the left hand side, see toward th back of the tank and yoiu can use the same mounting plate as well.

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...TM/file-51.jpg

traveltoad 05-19-2013 07:28 AM

Is the MOSFET Reg/Rec also sensitive to heat? Or could a MOSFET be left in the original location?


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014