ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Attempted murder charges filed... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888621)

firebug24k 05-20-2013 09:39 AM

Attempted murder charges filed...

http://www.10news.com/news/2-injured...cycle-05192013

This is incredible. I know these things happen out there, but this just scares the crap out of me.

For those that don't know, the Coronado Bay Bridge is a very tall bridge connecting San Diego with Coronado "island". It's a few hundred feet high and pretty long (maybe half a mile?), with concrete barriers in the middle and on the sides, and usually a lot of traffic (especially at 5PM). So the normal techniques of just plain avoiding bad drivers are a lot harder to execute (but of course not impossible) in a situation like this where you're quite restricted in where you can go to get away.

I live about 5 minutes away from there, so this is right in my backyard. Scary.

Bill Harris 05-20-2013 09:56 AM

Dang. :eek1

Quote:

10News tried to speak with the woman moments after the driver was arrested.

When asked about her side of the story, the woman said, "Honestly, I have pneumonia. I have no idea what's going on."

The woman told 10News she was not sure what happened. When asked about what she saw, she said, "I didn't see anything. I was on my phone."
Doh. :huh

In my younger days I was a bit more assertive/aggressive, but no more. Against a car, a motorbike brings nothing to the picnic.

--Bill

Jim Moore 05-20-2013 10:07 AM

Nice work by the copper!

psychopompos 05-20-2013 10:07 AM

Think of all the times when shit like this happens and there isn't a an off-duty cop there to witness it...

On the bright side, this quote is pure gold: When asked about her side of the story, the woman said, "Honestly, I have pneumonia. I have no idea what's going on."

slowoldguy 05-20-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

"Honestly, I have pneumonia. I have no idea what's going on."
Further proof that starting a sentence with "Honestly," means "I'm about to say some lying shit." <!-- / message -->

mneblett 05-20-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychopompos (Post 21449209)
On the bright side, this quote is pure gold: When asked about her side of the story, the woman said, "Honestly, I have pneumonia. I have no idea what's going on."

Followed by something like "I was on my phone, I didn't see what was happening."

My question is why didn't the reporter respond with: "Do you really think anyone is going to believe you were in a road-rage incident that stretched over a mile with verbal exchanges, wild lane changes and a collision, and you don't know what happened??"

larryboy 05-20-2013 10:19 AM

Riding up 5 over the cause way the other day on the BMW and I was thinking..."That rail sure is awfully low.", those two are lucky to be alive. :huh

manfromthestix 05-20-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowoldguy (Post 21449242)
Further proof that starting a sentence with "Honestly," means "I'm about to say some lying shit." <!-- / message -->

Probably... Or, and this is really scary, she sat through the whole incident and really didn't see or understand anything. She sure doesn't sound like someone who's suffering from pneumonia, pretty hale and hearty with a clear voice. Probably just covering for her husband/boyfriend and his maniacal driving. How cool is it that this asshole was caught??? I wonder what his sorry road-raging ass felt when he looked into the barrel of a gun in the hand of an apparent OTHER road-rager before he realized he was a policeman? I hope that gave him pause, maybe scared him shitless. And bravo to the prosecutor for filing attempted murder charges! Damn right...

I am happy the rider and his passenger weren't killed, and thrilled that the jerkoff car driver was caught. I completely agree with the poster above who said you can't win against a car. I watch like a hawk for erratic behavior and just try to stay out of it's way.

Doug

PT Rider 05-20-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

A woman and a little boy were also inside the car.
Great way to raise a child.:eek1

red450 05-20-2013 10:55 AM

Mental note. Buy GoPro/Contour and record every commute.

D R 05-20-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red450 (Post 21449605)
Mental note. Buy GoPro/Contour and record every commute.

While in principle this sounds like a good idea be careful what you ask for. If you produce as evidence a segment of video which shows one particular traffic incident, be prepared for every second of every video you have ever recorded while riding your motorcycle to be subpoenaed and scrutinized for any and all traffic infractions you may have made.

If you're going to record your commutes as a means of legal protection/evidence, be certain you stick rigidly to ALL traffic laws, to include the speed limit.

LittleRedToyota 05-20-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D R (Post 21449779)
While in principle this sounds like a good idea be careful what you ask for. If you produce as evidence a segment of video which shows one particular traffic incident, be prepared for every second of every video you have ever recorded while riding your motorcycle to be subpoenaed and scrutinized for any and all traffic infractions you may have made.

If you're going to record your commutes as a means of legal protection/evidence, be certain you stick rigidly to ALL traffic laws, to include the speed limit.

just delete the videos after each non-eventful commute.

LuciferMutt 05-20-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D R (Post 21449779)

Most people who record their commutes for this purpose delete each day where nothing significant happens.

It's what I would do...what's the point of having thousands of hours of video lying around that is all boring commuting?

That said, if something noteworthy DID happen in a video, you had better hope you weren't being an ass 15 minutes prior doing something stupid because it will look really suspicious if you edit the video to only include the part you need :lol3

_cy_ 05-20-2013 12:11 PM

talk about lucky that off duty cop was there ... otherwise that road rage driver would probably gotten away with attempted murder.

firebug24k 05-20-2013 12:32 PM

Here's the bridge - I agree they're lucky they didn't get knocked over the side. It's not a real high rail.

http://www.hometeampm.com/sites/defa...-4202782_1.jpg

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:43 PM.