ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ride reports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Grand Canyon Loop; 2-Up (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890915)

laramie LC4 05-28-2013 04:43 PM

Grand Canyon Loop; 2-Up

been dreaming of doing a big grand canyon loop since moving to arizona. finally got the bike for the task and will be leaving beginning of next week. my 14yr old daughter will be coming with me and we plan on making this an adventure to remember.

here is the plan...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K...-no/bigpic.jpg

day 1 - Tucson to Woods Canyon Lake (181 miles)
day 2 - Woods Canyon Lake to South Rim (243 miles)
day 3 - South Rim to North Rim (195 miles)
day 4 - North Rim to Grandma's House, Leeds UT (129 miles)
2 day liaison
Day 5 - Leeds to Tucson (601 miles! :eek1 )

the first 2 days will be a majority of dirt roads except for the occasional bast down the road. the rest unfortunately are limited by time and availability. the last day is gonna be a butt killer, but by then i'm sure we will both be ready to be home and sleep in our own beds. plus, there are several options to shorten the day, i just wanted to avoid as much of phoenix and I-10 as possible. we will see how we feel when the time comes though...

my biggest concern has been gas and making sure that i'm not stuck on the side of the road with no station to be found. i believe (cross fingers) that i have it solved assuming all the gas stations are actually open and have gas.

second concern is that i have everything we will need. i have built a list over the last few days with supplies that i know i will need. now the trick is to make sure there is room for everything on the 990. we have done a couple mock runs and believe that we should have enough room but until we actually do the deed, you never quite know. theory is one thing, practice a whole 'nother.

so wish us luck. i will do my best to take pics and upload them as i can assuming i have decent cell coverage.

words of advice and caution of course are appreciated.

thanks,

laramie :beer

FakeName 05-28-2013 05:30 PM

Here are some of the places you'll see.

pkbinder 05-28-2013 06:27 PM

Try to find the time to walk down into the canyon on the Kaibab or Bright Angel Trail, if only for twenty or thirty minutes. You will get a perspective you can't get from the rim. pk

laramie LC4 05-29-2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FakeName (Post 21512343)

nice pics, looked like you had fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkbinder (Post 21512833)
Try to find the time to walk down into the canyon on the Kaibab or Bright Angel Trail, if only for twenty or thirty minutes. You will get a perspective you can't get from the rim. pk

i have been to the GC before but it has been years. my daughter went once on a school trip but i have no idea what they did while there, so info like this is great. thanks.

laters,

Oldone 05-29-2013 05:36 AM

Good luck!

Have a safe journey.....that's a trip that I want to make too although the route would be a little different. Thanks for doing up a RR and have fun!

Gary "Oldone" :gerg

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e

laramie LC4 05-29-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldone (Post 21515546)
Have a safe journey.....that's a trip that I want to make too although the route would be a little different. Thanks for doing up a RR and have fun!

Gary "Oldone" :gerg

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e

Thanks. The wife is still a little freaked by the whole thing bug what ya gonna do? Stay at home and die in your sleep? Gonna take it slow, no rush, and avoid as much stupid tourist traffic as possible.

mathews42 05-29-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FakeName (Post 21512343)

Nice RR! great pics!

Gale B.T. 05-29-2013 10:01 AM

This will be a trip for both you to remember, don't forget to allow your daughter to take her own pics , even with those throw away cameras, she will have something to start her own scrap book.

That 990 will haul all you need. Wife and I did a 7 day trip to SE Utah on this 99 LC4 ADv R , camping all sleeps ,pics available if you wish.

Best of luck , you will have lots of awesome memories . We all look forward to your RR

ride smart
gale

Dubl-A 05-29-2013 10:14 AM

Sounds like a great father/daughter trip! Be safe and possibly look at a aux fuel can for the longer distances between fuel stations

red bud 05-29-2013 04:02 PM

hopeing to see gc in october, so i'm taking notes :D

swimmer 05-29-2013 04:31 PM

:clap

Looking forward to following along. Have fun.

Edit, Monday's forecast is for 108F. Be safe and start hydrating over the weekend.

laramie LC4 05-29-2013 05:35 PM

does beer count as hydration? :lol3

been obsessing over the route double checking everything and think i may make some changes to day 2. i got this route from another guy and have been modifying it to fit my needs. i think i'm going to drop the stretch along I-40 and just head north instead. this will save us probably 50 miles and make it a little easier on the kid. still be able to do almost all dirt and come out at the same point just before the south entrance, but will give us more free time when we get there. i don't want to be rushed and want to have plenty of time to explore and find a good camp spot for the night. if we have spent all day on the bike, that will probably be the least of our worries.

thanks for the good wishes. keep ya posted.

laramie LC4 05-31-2013 07:08 AM

update:

day 2 has been modified. i think this will make life a little better for the kid. don't want to kill her and make it so she never wants to ride again. :D

also acquired a tank bag. i was worried that i was going to run out of room, this will ensure i don't.

departure date is still set for sunday. can't wait to hit the road!

laters,

laramie LC4 06-02-2013 07:37 AM

hitting the road this morning. wish us luck!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8...7_BURST002.jpg

laters,

Comrade Art 06-02-2013 09:22 AM

Have fun riding but most importantly enjoy the time with your daughter :thumb

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:08 AM.