ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Americas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Crossing borders with a lien (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895157)

Merckx 06-12-2013 10:58 AM

Crossing borders with a lien
 
Hi all. I'm leaving on September 1st on a trip from Wisconsin to Ushuaia. I have a brand new bike with a lien on it and have heard that I will need a affidavit from my lender in order to cross the border into Mexico. I didn't realize this when I bought the bike. I will try to get it, but I'm wondering if this is really a requirement. Has anybody encountered this? If I can't get the affidavit, is there a workaround? Any help or advice is welcome! Thanks in advance.

AndyT 06-12-2013 11:32 AM

Yes, it is a requirement, but it seems to be hit or miss if it is actually enforced. The Mexicans generally accept your registration, the receipt that comes with your license plate, as proof of ownership, so you would not have to show the title.

Having said that, it is unlikely that you will be able to cross all the borders like that. It is equally unlikely that your lender will let you take the bike on this trip, since you will probably not be able to get theft insurance on it. Your US insurance won't cover you.

I rode from the US to Panama with a guy who had a lien on his bike, and a letter from his bank allowing him to take the bike out of the country, but it was a huge hassle at every border, and I wouldn't do it again. He had to sign a letter of guaranty pledging some property against the value of the bike to get it. Moral of the story is save yourself a bunch of headaches and pay it off before you go.

Someone else is going to post and say I'm an idiot and they went with a photo copy of a cereal box and not to worry about it, but that is my firsthand experience.

Merckx 06-12-2013 11:57 AM

Thanks. That's what I needed to hear.

David13 06-17-2013 09:07 AM

I won't say Andy is an idiot, tho' he may be. I will say I don't understand it.
I have entered Mexico more than once. I just drove or rode in. No stop, no gate, no question, no nothing.
Now, the last time, I did have to stop for about 15 seconds to be x-rayed. But that was by the USA before I entered Mexico. The Mexicans don't care. Come on down, is their policy (oh, bring money).
This new x-ray supposedly is to be sure that no one is taking guns or drugs into Mexico.
I don't know what government idiot came up with that. No one takes drugs into Mexico. They go to Mexico, buy the drugs, then bring them back here.
Guns come into Mexico from south America and from the Middle East, not from the north.
It's just a new way for the government to waste 190 million dollars.
dc

acejones 06-17-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David13 (Post 21662745)
I won't say Andy is an idiot, tho' he may be. I will say I don't understand it.
I have entered Mexico more than once. I just drove or rode in. No stop, no gate, no question, no nothing.
Now, the last time, I did have to stop for about 15 seconds to be x-rayed. But that was by the USA before I entered Mexico. The Mexicans don't care. Come on down, is their policy (oh, bring money).
This new x-ray supposedly is to be sure that no one is taking guns or drugs into Mexico.
I don't know what government idiot came up with that. No one takes drugs into Mexico. They go to Mexico, buy the drugs, then bring them back here.
Guns come into Mexico from south America and from the Middle East, not from the north.
It's just a new way for the government to waste 190 million dollars.
dc

Not exactly right about the source of the guns. It seems that U.S. Attorney General Holder did sell the cartels a lot of guns and then lost track of who he sold them to.

psychohawk 06-17-2013 01:29 PM

David, traveling to/within BC for the day or week is a lot different than driving to central then South America.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David13 (Post 21662745)
I won't say Andy is an idiot, tho' he may be. I will say I don't understand it.
I have entered Mexico more than once. I just drove or rode in. No stop, no gate, no question, no nothing.
Now, the last time, I did have to stop for about 15 seconds to be x-rayed. But that was by the USA before I entered Mexico. The Mexicans don't care. Come on down, is their policy (oh, bring money).
This new x-ray supposedly is to be sure that no one is taking guns or drugs into Mexico.
I don't know what government idiot came up with that. No one takes drugs into Mexico. They go to Mexico, buy the drugs, then bring them back here.
Guns come into Mexico from south America and from the Middle East, not from the north.
It's just a new way for the government to waste 190 million dollars.
dc


AndyT 06-17-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David13 (Post 21662745)
I won't say Andy is an idiot, tho' he may be. I will say I don't understand it.
I have entered Mexico more than once. I just drove or rode in. No stop, no gate, no question, no nothing.
Now, the last time, I did have to stop for about 15 seconds to be x-rayed. But that was by the USA before I entered Mexico. The Mexicans don't care. Come on down, is their policy (oh, bring money).
This new x-ray supposedly is to be sure that no one is taking guns or drugs into Mexico.
I don't know what government idiot came up with that. No one takes drugs into Mexico. They go to Mexico, buy the drugs, then bring them back here.
Guns come into Mexico from south America and from the Middle East, not from the north.
It's just a new way for the government to waste 190 million dollars.
dc

Now I remember why I seldom post on this forum.

The question was about going all the way to Argentina, not just Mexico. Everything south of the US border is not Mexico.

You can legally enter Baja California and Sonora with your vehicle for up to 72 hours without doing any paperwork. Mexico is kind of unique, in that they don't physically control their borders, so yes you can just ride across and go, unless you get the red light for a search. Any other Mexican state, or longer than 3 days, and you need a temporary import permit. It is your responsibility to know this, as they don't stop you to tell you this at the border. You would probably get stopped at a checkpoint 30 or 50 miles into the country and get turned around and told to get the permit. If you get to the interior without a permit, they can impound your bike if you get checked.

That is just Mexico. The other dozen or so countries I have been to in Latin America will have an actual barrier and guard, and you will not just sneak through.

BTW, thousands of guns are bought legally in the USA, and smuggled south for nefarious purposes, along with a few hundred that got down there with our governments help.

David13 06-18-2013 09:33 AM

Yeah, I know all that.
dc

billy the kid 06-21-2013 04:52 PM

So a question about border crossings and relevant paperwork . Excuse the noob or obvious .
If I purchase a bike in the States , as an Aussie , I don't believe I can register it in my name . Is this correct ?
I will have an address of a Mate over there to use if I am incorrect .
Sounds like a whole lot less hassles if the bike title and the name in the passport are the same .
My early thoughts are to ride from West Coast down to Peru . See what happens from there .

jimmex 06-21-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy the kid (Post 21697416)
So a question about border crossings and relevant paperwork . Excuse the noob or obvious .
If I purchase a bike in the States , as an Aussie , I don't believe I can register it in my name . Is this correct ?
I will have an address of a Mate over there to use if I am incorrect .
Sounds like a whole lot less hassles if the bike title and the name in the passport are the same .
My early thoughts are to ride from West Coast down to Peru . See what happens from there .

You can reg it in your name; all you need is an address.

acejones 06-21-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy the kid (Post 21697416)
So a question about border crossings and relevant paperwork . Excuse the noob or obvious .
If I purchase a bike in the States , as an Aussie , I don't believe I can register it in my name . Is this correct ?
I will have an address of a Mate over there to use if I am incorrect .
Sounds like a whole lot less hassles if the bike title and the name in the passport are the same .
My early thoughts are to ride from West Coast down to Peru . See what happens from there .

You are right about having everything in the same name. If your name is John Q. Aussie, all you documents should say John Q. Aussie.

AndyT 06-21-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acejones (Post 21698492)
You are right about having everything in the same name. If your name is John Q. Aussie, all you documents should say John Q. Aussie.

...and the meaning of everything would be drivers license, passport, and bike title. If these don't match, you will have problems. As stated above, it shouldn't be a problem titling the bike in your name, but it will take some time to get the physical title, so plan on staying in the states until you get it.

billy the kid 06-21-2013 10:42 PM

Thanks for the advice Guys .

crashmaster 06-23-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyT (Post 21698863)
...and the meaning of everything would be drivers license, passport, and bike title. If these don't match, you will have problems. As stated above, it shouldn't be a problem titling the bike in your name, but it will take some time to get the physical title, so plan on staying in the states until you get it.


Good advice. You may not be asked for the title until you are in South America. I used registration only from Mexico to Panama, with the exception of Honduras. Once I was in South America, I was asked for the title, often.

I may be an idiot also, but I traveled every country in the Americas by moto for two years. But I'm sure someone will chime in and tell me that I dont know what the hell I'm talking about. :lol3

You can try to travel with a lien on the bike, but IMO, it will be a huge hassle, cause you stress, cost you time, and possibly money. For smooth sailing, make sure all documents are in your name.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014