ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Keep seeing CA plated 450X's (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895257)

Rick6 06-12-2013 04:31 PM

Keep seeing CA plated 450X's

What's the deal? I haven't had a chance to pull up next to someone in the parking lot and find out how they did it. Now of course we wouldn't break any laws, but there are too damn many out there to not be a simple way to get one plated.

After piecing together research from the interwebs, it looks like the way to do this legally is to buy the bike in another state that has a plate on it. Make sure the CA legal goodies are attached (blinkers, left mirror, taillight etc. etc.) and bring the title to your DMV or AAA office(must be a member, obviously). Apparently they look at it like it's a "motorcycle" transfer, and not a "dirt bike" transfer because it currently has a plate. You must tell them the bike has over 8,000 miles on it and you walk out with a plate.

I understand we run the risk of the plate being called back at any given time.

If there is no legal way to do it, like I suggested, feel free to tell me it isn't that simple. I realize I haven't been active long enough here to get inside on any secrets, but I'd be more than willing to buy many beers for someone who does give me the scoop.

pcvance 06-12-2013 04:42 PM

It's illegal, buy a KTM.

Rick6 06-12-2013 04:43 PM

Fooey. I see them everywhere :lol3

pcvance 06-12-2013 05:09 PM

Orange county

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick6 (Post 21631087)
Fooey. I see them everywhere :lol3

You live in orange county, you should ride an orange bike, and besides, KTMs are much better bikes than Hondas and they're street legal.
Send my beer to 730 S Bridge St. Visalia CA 93277
A 10 pak of 14.7 oz Newcastle in cans will work.
Thank you.

P.S. don't believe me? Ask theGrinch. He knows.

Dude Budweiser? Really?

Off Limits 06-12-2013 08:55 PM

I'll take the Honda any day. Good motors those x bikes have. :clap

browneye 06-12-2013 09:05 PM

First of all AAA doesn't do out of state transfers on bikes AFAIK. If you are moving your residence the 7500 mile requirement does not apply, if not it does. And a CHP or DMV inspection is required for VIN verification and a 50-state EPA sticker must be on the bike. This last item is a stickler for anything not specifically registered with CARB for hiway use (street plated) here in CA.

pcvance 06-12-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browneye (Post 21632828)
First of all AAA doesn't do out of state transfers on bikes AFAIK. If you are moving your residence the 7500 mile requirement does not apply, if not it does. And a CHP or DMV inspection is required for VIN verification and a 50-state EPA sticker must be on the bike. This last item is a stickler for anything not specifically registered with CARB for hiway use (street plated) here in CA.

There are ways to get it done, if you look around you will see a lot of plates where they shouldn't be.

pcvance 06-12-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Longriders (Post 21632773)
I'll take the Honda any day. Good motors those x bikes have. :clap

"good" motors you say? I've owned two CRF 450s and both needed a complete rebuild with less than half the hours/miles that my current 525 has now. The Hondas needed crank assembly, cylinder, piston, head/valves etc. at a cost of around $1500 parts and labor. The 525 KTM has over 300 hours and just under 7000 miles and is running like a champ. Consider that I had around 6k in the two 05' CRFs and maybe got 150 hours out of each, the KTM wins hands down in cost to operate per hour/mile. Add the fact that the EXC has a six speed gearbox and it becomes obvious that Orange from Austria is better than Red from Japan.
The KTMs seem to be a whole lot easier to get plated too.

Ok Rick, I gave you the scoop, now where is my beer?

Rick6 06-13-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcvance (Post 21631272)
You live in orange county, you should ride an orange bike

You've got me there, friend

Quote:

KTMs are much better bikes than Hondas and they're street legal.

I know. This is a fact I want to ignore but sooner or later I'm probably going to realize that I need to up the budget a few grand and get a slightly used KTM.

Answer me this. My friends tell me KTM's are no less reliable than any other dirt bike when maintained properly. Being I was into Evo's/STi's as a sprout, they compared it this way: KTM's are like Evo's, the Evo itself is not unreliable, it's the way people ride them that wears them out. I suspect that is accurate. For me, it means I am going to want to go a little newer ($7k for '09-10) to avoid the chances of getting that clapped out bike, as much as possible. I'm looking for the older guy that bought it new and took a few years to realize riding wasn't his thing. Those bikes aren't going for 5k in So Cal.

Quote:

Dude Budweiser? Really?

Budweiser is the hearty ale of the roughest men. I don't drink that yuppie crap :lol3

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcvance (Post 21633103)

No you didn't, you just said "there are ways"
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcvance (Post 21632959)
There are ways to get it done

pcvance 06-13-2013 07:26 AM

yes there are ways, but it's not something I'd ever post here....:wink:

Be smart, find a nice low hours used 450/525EXC WITH a plate, buy it.:deal

you will be much happier.

That's the scoop, I've earned my beer now.:lol3

Rick6 06-13-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcvance (Post 21635043)
yes there are ways, but it's not something I'd ever post here....:wink:

That's exactly as I figured. Guess I'll just have to ask some guy on a CRF as I'm passing him on my KTM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcvance (Post 21635043)
Be smart, find a nice low hours used 450/525EXC WITH a plate, buy it.:deal

you will be much happier.

That's the scoop, I've earned my beer now.:lol3

One twelve pack of Budweiser has been donated to my refrigerator in your honor :clap

For everyone else, thanks for your input too! I'll be back with pictures

Rockcat 06-13-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick6 (Post 21634989)

Budweiser is the hearty ale of the roughest men. I don't drink that yuppie crap :lol3

You will when you get a little older. You should come up to Portland and visit a few brew pubs. Once you start drinking good beer, you will forget about WRR's and Bud.:deal

Kap 06-13-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcvance (Post 21633103)
"good" motors you say? I've owned two CRF 450s and both needed a complete rebuild with less than half the hours/miles that my current 525 has now. The Hondas needed crank assembly, cylinder, piston, head/valves etc. at a cost of around $1500 parts and labor. The 525 KTM has over 300 hours and just under 7000 miles and is running like a champ. Consider that I had around 6k in the two 05' CRFs and maybe got 150 hours out of each, the KTM wins hands down in cost to operate per hour/mile. Add the fact that the EXC has a six speed gearbox and it becomes obvious that Orange from Austria is better than Red from Japan.
The KTMs seem to be a whole lot easier to get plated too.

Not my experience, my 06 top end was just rebuilt for $350. Crank is fine. Love my X motor.
It's hard to compare my X to a KTM because the people we ride with on KTM's either can't keep up or quit half way through the ride.:lol3

Kap 06-13-2013 08:25 AM

If you bring an Arizona plated bike to Cali it must have an odometer that shows more than 7500 miles on it, you have to have the original emissions sticker on the rear fender with the engine vin number on it. Not just the noise emission sticker, there are two. Still your gonna need lots of luck and a moron that works at AAA.

Rick6 06-13-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kap (Post 21635476)
If you bring an Arizona plated bike to Cali it must have an odometer that shows more than 7500 miles on it, you have to have the original emissions sticker on the rear fender with the engine vin number on it. Not just the noise emission sticker, there are two. Still your gonna need lots of luck and a moron that works at AAA.

I figured it would require a bit of persistence. It's difficult to interpret, because about 90% of people say exactly what you say, another 5% say "no way bro can't happen", and another 5% say it's easy, you just have to know the way. But those 5% are hush-hush. I guess they could also be lying/exaggerating.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:14 AM.