ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ride reports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Give up on planning - last-minute ride to Mexico (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895856)

charlieS 06-14-2013 08:25 PM

Give up on planning - last-minute ride to Mexico
 
Hi everyone!

I'm Charlie. Long time lurker, occasional buyer, and aspiring traveler.

I've been planning numerous trips for the last 5+ years, and never actually did anything worth posting about.

Last Thursday, my stress level at work at an all-time peak, I decided "screw it, I'm going on a trip."

I'm now in Day 1 of "unplanned, just fucking go to Mexico for 2 weeks."

Day 1 report, coming up.

charlieS 06-14-2013 08:28 PM

Day 1, Trundling Along, Way Too Fast.
 
From: http://charlierides.com/travelogue/m...-way-too-fast/

Itís 8pm. Iím sun burnt on my wrists, sore, and pooped.

I wasnít sure how far Iíd go the first day. Ended up riding about 600 miles, mostly because I got annoyed toward the end.

But I was annoyed much earlier Ė I-5 (enough said?). I headed East at BakersfieldÖ well, I donít need to describe the route; look here: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...PjuVJDpUCSUlGW

Once I got past Pasadena, the temperature ó which I thought was already insane ó decided it shouldnít be below my body temperature any more. Nay, it should be 10 degrees warmer. I canít wait to get farther south, into the jungle-y area, where it doesnít get above 90˚.

So Iím currently in a hotel in Westmorland, CA, about 60 miles from the border. Had a nice ribeye & veggies dinner, and Iím trying to drink a 1.5 litre water I paid $3 for.

Here is the view (yay, a blurry cell phone picture!):
http://charlierides.com/wp-content/u...50-300x225.jpg

Tomorrow, I should try to get to Hermosillo Ė even though itís 450 miles away. AFTER THAT, I should be able to slow down ó Iíll be on the coast, with lots of interesting things to see, and much better weather. Weíll see :)

Turkeycreek 06-14-2013 08:31 PM

High Temps
 
It will be hot. Hermosillo will likely top 110 tomorrow - again. Carry lots of agua

charlieS 06-14-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkeycreek (Post 21647950)
It will be hot. Hermosillo will likely top 110 tomorrow - again. Carry lots of agua

Yay! I have a 3-litre camel back, thankfully.

charlieS 06-14-2013 08:41 PM

And, for the record, Westmorland, CA, does not sell sunscreen.

First, how do you describe sunscreen to a spanish speaker? Sol .. blocker. "nada sol *points at sunburn*" seemed to work.

None of the 4 stores in town sells it. Apparently sunscreen isn't needed in one of the hottest places on earth :)

Oldone 06-15-2013 10:19 AM

Good luck!
 
I just have this strange feeling that this might be good. I hope things go good for you the whole way, especially after you reach cooler climates.

Good luck and stay safe,

Gary "Oldone" :gerg

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride

Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Blind Warrior 06-15-2013 12:34 PM

From Hermosillo consider heading east on Route 16 into the Sierra and towards Creel in Copper Canyon. Much cooler than heading down the coast to Mazatlan. From there you can stay in the higher altitudes and see Colonial Mexico.

PhillipsMetal 06-15-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Warrior (Post 21651310)
From Hermosillo consider heading east on Route 16 into the Sierra and towards Creel in Copper Canyon. Much cooler than heading down the coast to Mazatlan. From there you can stay in the higher altitudes and see Colonial Mexico.

I just got back from Creel and Hermosillo last week and MX 16 was a blast. Stayed in a cabin in Creel and slept with the door open and no AC. Wonderful weather. Great advice. Beautiful country, nice people and the mountain roads are incredible. Have a nice trip. :clap:clap:clap

skierd 06-15-2013 01:35 PM

No plans are the best plans!

:lurk

100mpg 06-15-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldone (Post 21650707)
I just have this strange feeling that this might be good. I hope things go good for you the whole way, especially after you reach cooler climates.

:thumb
I'm in.

acejones 06-15-2013 02:49 PM

Keep it coming

charlieS 06-15-2013 06:02 PM

So much to consider (heading East on 16, that is).

I shall eat, and ponder.

(I'm in Hermosillo now!)

Blind Warrior 06-15-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieS (Post 21652863)
So much to consider (heading East on 16, that is).

I shall eat, and ponder.

(I'm in Hermosillo now!)

It's schweady ball weather along the coast right now. You encountered the heat coming down through the desert. It does not get cooler, but it does get more humid along the coast.

charlieS 06-15-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Warrior (Post 21653319)
It's schweady ball weather along the coast right now. You encountered the heat coming down through the desert. It does not get cooler, but it does get more humid along the coast.

Well, weather reports I'm reading are definitely below 107˚ :)
Though, factoring in humidity, it probably doesn't feel any cooler.

I can't decided what to do, so I'm thinking I'll hang out tomorrow in Hermosillo, take in the sights, and delay the decision.

Blind Warrior 06-15-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieS (Post 21653433)
Well, weather reports I'm reading are definitely below 107˚ :)
Though, factoring in humidity, it probably doesn't feel any cooler.

I can't decided what to do, so I'm thinking I'll hang out tomorrow in Hermosillo, take in the sights, and delay the decision.

Good choice. Have a few fermented beverages and see how it goes. Have fun whatever you do!


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014