ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Neale Bayly Rides kinda sucks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896281)

guitarin 06-16-2013 07:22 PM

Neale Bayly Rides kinda sucks

I find this show kind of annoying. Seems like a more commercial version of Long Way Round. Over produced, staged, fake, whiney, not what I expected or hoped for.:puke1

fred flintstone 06-16-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarin (Post 21659319)
I find this show kind of annoying. Seems like a more commercial version of Long Way Round. Over produced, staged, fake whiney, not what I expected or hoped for.:puke1

Yeah I just watched it too. The woman was kinda hot, in a cougar-ish way. Annoying though. Maybe it was the Rallye 3 outfit. I wish I had someone to follow me around & pick up my GS when I dropped it.

I also did not like the lead guy doing psych stuff on his riders. WTF, why is it his job to get that one guy out of himself and engage the natives more? Maybe I don;t understand what this is about, I was just surfing channels and saw GS's cranking though scenery.

That desert stretch looked tough though.

bighopper 06-16-2013 10:51 PM

Seems to be in the 'Reality' crap TV of late, don't think I'll bother watching again.

fred flintstone 06-17-2013 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighopper (Post 21660624)
Seems to be in the 'Reality' crap TV of late, don't think I'll bother watching again.

I didn't realize it but you're right. I expected a legit show about GS's and technical riding, it is just an MTV reality show on GS's.

Hoppus Maximus 06-17-2013 06:44 AM

Not the greatest show, but these riders were brought on for possible adoptions, so that's good. It also sheads light on poverty. Either way, I'd rather watch a bad motorcycle show than a good MTV show with a bunch of bitchy twenty somethings who think they know it all.

ridewv 06-17-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarin (Post 21659319)
I find this show kind of annoying. Seems like a more commercial version of Long Way Round. Over produced, staged, fake whiney, not what I expected or hoped for.:puke1

I totally agree.

fred flintstone 06-17-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppus Maximus (Post 21661846)
Not the greatest show, but these riders were brought on for possible adoptions, so that's good. It also sheads light on poverty. Either way, I'd rather watch a bad motorcycle show than a good MTV show with a bunch of bitchy twenty somethings who think they know it all.

If there's anything worse than a reality TV show it is a reality TV show that tries to guilt trip me into being more socially conscious about whatever, esp via manipulating my love of bikes. No thanks. YMMV.

I may watch it again with the sound off.

Foot dragger 06-17-2013 06:56 AM

I covered my TV with a decorative tablecoth 5 years ago,it never got turned on again.

Shoot your TV.

Crocker 06-17-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred flintstone (Post 21661561)
I didn't realize it but you're right. I expected a legit show about GS's and technical riding, it is just an MTV reality show on GS's.

Yep.

I watched the first episode, realized it was "reality" tv with manufactured drama and decided not to go any further.

I'll just stick with reading ride reports.

fred flintstone 06-17-2013 07:24 AM

Mainly a long info-mercial for BMW GS bikes and riding gear, but I did like the actual BMW bike commercials. Had not seen them before.

guitarin 06-17-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crocker (Post 21662028)
Yep.

I watched the first episode, realized it was "reality" tv with manufactured drama and decided not to go any further.

I'll just stick with reading ride reports.

Ride reports ROCK!:D

geg 06-17-2013 07:36 AM

Feasting on Asphalt was way more fun

bcs 06-17-2013 07:45 AM

The show is a piece of rubbish. They spent all that time at the BMW training center, with nothing but a bunch of trumped up drama about whether the riders could make it. Not one useful tip on riding the F800GS off road.

it just gets worse in episode 2. So we have to watch the token chick drop her bike over and over. It must be very tough for her--sometimes she has to wait several seconds for a man to come pick it up. But about halfway through the show, when they are picking her bike up for the 10th time, you can clearly see she is riding in sand on street tires. They look quite like the tires BMW delivers on the bike. So I gotta feel a bit of sympathy for her. I mean, any experience rider would be smart enough to put some TKC-80s on the bike first. Or maybe street tires were intended to guarantee extra drama. Remind me never to borrow an ADV bike from Neale Bayly.

seatec 06-17-2013 08:06 AM

You have to learn to filter out what you don't want. I tune out the drama and just enjoy the riding bits. Something about seeing a big bike plow through loose sand. Bad A$$!

Harry94025 06-17-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcs (Post 21662215)
The show is a piece of rubbish. They spent all that time at the BMW training center, with nothing but a bunch of trumped up drama about whether the riders could make it. Not one useful tip on riding the F800GS off road.

it just gets worse in episode 2. So we have to watch the token chick drop her bike over and over. It must be very tough for her--sometimes she has to wait several seconds for a man to come pick it up. But about halfway through the show, when they are picking her bike up for the 10th time, you can clearly see she is riding in sand on street tires. They look quite like the tires BMW delivers on the bike. So I gotta feel a bit of sympathy for her. I mean, any experience rider would be smart enough to put some TKC-80s on the bike first. Or maybe street tires were intended to guarantee extra drama. Remind me never to borrow an ADV bike from Neale Bayly.

I was also wondering why they were using street tires for sand? The other thing that could have helped out would have been to run the tires at a lower pressure for the off-road/sandy sections. I've been riding motorcycles for over 45 years (dirt & street), and in that one episode she crashed more than I have in all those years of riding...

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:50 PM.