ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Help Negotiating on Bikes (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897674)

LifeScribe 06-21-2013 04:36 PM

Help Negotiating on Bikes

Hi All,

After following this forum for a couple of years it's finally my turn to buy a bike :freaky

Right now, I've got 2 different F650's in the cross hairs:

#1 Bike #1: 2001 F650GS w/ ABS & 15k miles $3600-- body is in decent shape cosmetically but have a few concerns: bikes been sitting for a while so it needs a new chain + sprocket, there's rust on the rear wheel bolt (maybe this is normal- but if this were a car that would worry me), and it needs the 12k mile service + a battery. Seller was very receptive to book value minus cost of repairs. There's bluebook, nada, and a few other tools, but feel like BMW bikes are like Honda's, you always pay more than they book for.

Bike #2: 2007 F650GS-- mint, garage kept, one owner, 1.4k miles, $5k-- will offer $4650.

Goal is to keep this for a year and relearn to ride. Then in a year sell it and buy the R1200gs for a trip from Alaska to Argentina (a dream I'm finally starting to realize).

Either way, I'd like to purchase a bike that I can ride this year and sell for close to what I paid for it in a year. Any guidance on what I should pay for either of these would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Jeff

SkiBumBrian 06-21-2013 04:48 PM

I would never pay more than it books for, KBB's values are for excellent condition, anything less I deduct for. Sounds like the cheaper one with 15K on it has had less than perfect care and maintenance, I huge red flag in my book.
Other bike, garage kept, low miles, great condition. To me that is a no brainer. Spend the extra grand for peace of mind, I bet it ends up being worth every penny.

Handy 06-21-2013 07:39 PM

Just sold my 07 with 15,000 miles for $4700, could have gotten more if I would have held out for a little longer. So if you buy the 07 you will likely be able to get most if not all of your money back in a year. Who knows, you might decide to keep it for the North to South trip.
Personally I would go for the one that is in better shape if you can swing it. 2001 models are known to have some surge/stall issues too so you might be getting yourself into a bike that ends up needing a lot more attention than it looks like at the outset.

JerryH 06-21-2013 08:00 PM

Just remember they are BMWs. If you cannot work on them yourself, dealer service will cost as much as the bikes, and BMW dealers are not known for being friendly. Parts are also super expensive compared to Japanese bikes.

BlueLghtning 06-21-2013 09:28 PM

My vote is for the 07 mostly because its the dual spark model. The dual spark motor is much smoother, a bit more power, and better fuel mileage, but best of all, doesn't suffer from the surging some of the early models were known for.

Plus, I tend to really stay away from bikes that have sat for awhile. There almost always turns out to be other issues you didn't anticipate.

That's not a bad price for the 07 either and super low mileage. My wife has an 06 F650GS with about 30k on it and I really enjoy riding it myself. Its a great bike.

LifeScribe 06-22-2013 08:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback folks....Went to drive the '07 today and realized that the bike is too small for me. Seems the owner has the shorter seat on it and I can't safely ride it-- dealer said it will take a few weeks to get a taller seat in, so for now I'll pass. Looked at another one at the dealer '02-- and was told I'm a bit too tall for the bike.

Thinking I'll now look at a KLR.

BlueLghtning 06-22-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeScribe (Post 21704899)
Thanks for the feedback folks....Went to drive the '07 today and realized that the bike is too small for me. Seems the owner has the shorter seat on it and I can't safely ride it-- dealer said it will take a few weeks to get a taller seat in, so for now I'll pass. Looked at another one at the dealer '02-- and was told I'm a bit too tall for the bike.

Thinking I'll now look at a KLR.

How tall are you? I'm 6'4"/250lbs and I can ride my wife's F650GS just fine. Granted, I would like the tall "dakar" seat for it to really be comfy on it, but even then, its not terrible. I just throw the Air Hawk on there along with some Rox Risers and it gets me enough leg room and arm room to be very comfy. I did a 10 day dual sport trip on her bike last year and had a blast. My wife is only 5'4" and petite so hers is setup for a small person, but really I would find it hard to believe that anyone is "too big" for that bike with just a few mods. She has the regular seat and short seat, so I know the short seat can be snug for a tall person, but its not the end of the world. Use F650GS seats come up here pretty often. Just find a "tall dakar" seat.

Having owned a KLR and spent lots of time on the F650GS, the F650GS single is way better on the road and really right there with the KLR off road. They don't even compare in on road comfort.

Have you thought about the F650GS Dakar model? You get the taller suspension, generally the taller seat, and 18/21 wheels just like the KLR for more off road worthiness, but just as good on the road as the standard F650GS.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:42 PM.