ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Craigslist project bike pricing (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898829)

Jimmy the Heater 06-25-2013 11:59 PM

Craigslist project bike pricing

I have noticed an odd trend of late on my local CL. The ad usually goes something like this.

2005 Yamaha R6 Been down and needs new fairings and headlight. Parts are available on ebay for $1000 10000 miles, runs great, blah blah blah $3500.

In my area an 05 R6 goes for about $4000. So if I get this one and want to fix it, by the time I'm done I'm going to be at the exact same price as if I bought one in good condition in the first place. Just doesn't compute to me.

Even if they are going to make a streetfighter out of it a $500 dollar savings doesn't seem like enough of a bargain to warrant buying the bike over a known good one.

I would much rather go to an insurance auction and get one for say $1200 to turn into a fighter.

Anyone else notice this or can point out the flaw in my logic to me?

Vertical C 06-26-2013 03:48 AM

The flaw in logic is that you dont have the self interest of the seller.

Just send him a lowball, to annoy them if nothing else.

Jim Moore 06-26-2013 06:02 AM

I hate "runs great, just needs new battery and carbs cleaned." Well, put in a battery and clean the carbs, you lazy fuck.

daveinva 06-26-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 21729343)
I hate "runs great, just needs new battery and carbs cleaned." Well, put in a battery and clean the carbs, you lazy fuck.

:deal :lol3 Agree 100%!

Jimmy the Heater 06-26-2013 12:16 PM

Amen to that!!!! Even saw that posted on a bike from a dealership (car dealership that got a bike on trade but a dealership none the less)

You would think they could grasp the concept of spending a couple hundred to get it sorted and then being able to ask quite a bit more.

Offcamber 06-26-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 21729343)

One has to ask if the carbs need to be cleaned how could it run great???

Paebr332 06-26-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offcamber (Post 21732237)
One has to ask if the carbs need to be cleaned how could it run great???

It's more of a "runs great... in theory" kind of situation. :D

motorat 06-26-2013 01:27 PM

didn't you know that craigs list adds have nothing to due with the kbb price of the bike.
i am always amazed the the sellers don't realize their bike won't sell for more than $1000+
above kbb. i have seen bikes on cl for over a year.

ran great when parked....2+ years ago

DireWolf 06-26-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater (Post 21728381)
I have noticed an odd trend of late on my local CL. The ad usually goes something like this.

2005 Yamaha R6 Been down and needs new fairings and headlight. Parts are available on ebay for $1000 10000 miles, runs great, blah blah blah $3500.

In my area an 05 R6 goes for about $4000. So if I get this one and want to fix it, by the time I'm done I'm going to be at the exact same price as if I bought one in good condition in the first place. Just doesn't compute to me.

Even if they are going to make a streetfighter out of it a $500 dollar savings doesn't seem like enough of a bargain to warrant buying the bike over a known good one.

I would much rather go to an insurance auction and get one for say $1200 to turn into a fighter.

Title's branded.

PalePhase 06-26-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater (Post 21728381)

How's that different from any other used vehicle ad? It isn't up to the seller to determine what constitutes value to you or to anybody else. Don't like it, don't inquire. So simple.

dwoodward 06-27-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater (Post 21732095)
Amen to that!!!! Even saw that posted on a bike from a dealership (car dealership that got a bike on trade but a dealership none the less)

You would think they could grasp the concept of spending a couple hundred to get it sorted and then being able to ask quite a bit more.

There was a local Honda dealer that had one of those on a Honda- an absolutely cherry '80s VFR that had been left to sit too long.

Probably the bike will never be worth the labor $$$ it'd take for the dealer to make it right.

Vulfy 06-27-2013 12:56 PM

I don't see your point. If similar bike in better condition is sold on CL for $XXX
then whats the problem of listing yours for $XXX - price for parts needed. :dunno

Why I, as a seller, should invest more into the bike that I'm already selling, if at the end, every fucker out there is still gonna low ball me?

Don't like the price, move on, its an agreement of both parties.

I hate these people with self entitlement complex, who try to low ball expecting a cherry for a price of a junker.

Edit: Not only that, but if the bike needs parts or service, I'd rather get bike for cheaper and buy parts and work on it myself, knowing that the parts that are broken I will replace with quality parts, not some e-bay junk that will fail on me two weeks after the purchase. Same with service if its basic stuff like old battery, clogged up carb, etc.

hooliken 06-27-2013 02:19 PM

And keeping with the Craigslist theme. Ladies and Gentlemen...I give you your Craigslist Idiot of the Day! :fpalm

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7338/9...ed2c0a6d_c.jpg

Fajita Dave 06-27-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooliken (Post 21741152)
And keeping with the Craigslist theme. Ladies and Gentlemen...I give you your Craigslist Idiot of the Day! :fpalm

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7338/9...ed2c0a6d_c.jpg

That sounds like Virginia to me! :lol3

I used to look for motorcycles and mountain bikes on Craig's list about once a week. Everything was either way over priced or a piece of shit so I stopped looking.

PalePhase 06-27-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulfy (Post 21740568)
I don't see your point. If similar bike in better condition is sold on CL for $XXX
then whats the problem of listing yours for $XXX - price for parts needed. :dunno

Why I, as a seller, should invest more into the bike that I'm already selling, if at the end, every fucker out there is still gonna low ball me?

Don't like the price, move on, its an agreement of both parties.

I hate these people with self entitlement complex, who try to low ball expecting a cherry for a price of a junker.

Edit: Not only that, but if the bike needs parts or service, I'd rather get bike for cheaper and buy parts and work on it myself, knowing that the parts that are broken I will replace with quality parts, not some e-bay junk that will fail on me two weeks after the purchase. Same with service if its basic stuff like old battery, clogged up carb, etc.

Amen to that.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:53 AM.