ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Upgrade from dr650 to klr650? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899870)

Hawk900dc 06-30-2013 07:11 AM

Upgrade from dr650 to klr650?

I've been riding a dr650 for the past year, I learned how to ride on the thing. I mostly ride around town and take 45 minute trips at 60 to 65 mph to visit family the dr isn't so much fun to me on these trips. Was thinking about buying a klr650 similar bike style more comforts is it worth it? Btw the dr650 is my fathers no ownership here.

514Advrider 06-30-2013 07:21 AM

Absolutely not, IMO. I've had 3 DR's and 1 KLR so far. The DR is easier to work on, has better suspension, is less prone to mechanical features and crashes better off road (less broken bits). In my opinion it is a better engineered motorcycle. For under 500$, you can sort out the range and comfort problem by getting an Acerbis or IMS tank and a Seat Concepts foam and cover kit.

OneEffinName 06-30-2013 07:34 AM

KLRs are better street bikes. More wind blockage from the fairing. They weigh a bunch more than the DR, so consequently if you ride a bunch in the dirt, you will miss the DR. I think the DR suspension is crap anyways, a pogo stick is a better improvement.

Hawk900dc 06-30-2013 07:51 AM

thoughts,

the DR is fun just around town, the only things that irk me are the torque,iness (power delivery) at times when shifting and the vibrations when on the highway. I did upgrade the seat and thats a nice boost and to be honest ive only ever taken it off road once in the last year, which was fun. Im ok with the DR, but keep looking at the KLR due to the claimed less vibrations, smoother power delivery and comfort. Ive been also been referred to Vstroms, but I think if i get something that big it would be a hassle for short trips around town and getting out of my one car garage garage and cramped driveway.

ram1000 06-30-2013 07:53 AM

The KLR has the advantage for girth, whereas you can load it up without interfering with your riding position. Both bikes are much improved with aftermarket suspension parts but the DR is far superior to the KLR off road both in suspension and frame geometry. The stock DR also has the advantage for trail riding considering its power band, not so much more power but easier to use off road. My experience is that the DR has a great low end with a substantial boost felt in midrange whereas the KLR is simply a mild increase throughout the rpm range. But then the extra weight may be responsible for that feeling. I own both bikes and neither are stock suspension or power wise anymore. My DR is a better bike than my previously owned stock KTM 640 both handling and suspension are better but the DR has RMZ forks and Cogent rear shocks and much work done inside the forks. Power wise the DR is at least as good as the KTM was. I bought the KLR for my road trips since I wanted a bike that was capable off road. It serves that purpose perfectly with a 688 piston and suspension components. In short my DR is a 650 enduro and my KLR is a 650 (688cc) dual-sport completely suitable for road trips. I used my DR for many 800-1000 mile road trips before buying the KLR. The DR is smoother than most 650's and though they say the KLR is smoother when using the 688 piston it is not as smooth as my DR was stock or is now. Vibrations of neither bike bother me in any way though.

dankatz 06-30-2013 08:06 AM

BMW f650gs is smoother on road than both. KLR is big and heavy - if you ride mostly on the road her a road bike like the vstrom or f650gs

One Fat Roach 06-30-2013 01:07 PM

Hawk, remember that each bike is like a tool in a drawer. Each one has a certain purpose.

KLR is more street oriented but can handle dirt.

DR650 is more of a dirt bike that can ride ashpalt. You're getting a bike to suit your needs, find one that has good aerodynamics, can handle the highway with ease etc etc. Take your time, you'll get the right one for YOU

Tsotsie 06-30-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk900dc (Post 21759853)
I've been riding a dr650 for the past year, I learned how to ride on the thing. I mostly ride around town and take 45 minute trips at 60 to 65 mph to visit family the dr isn't so much fun to me on these trips. Was thinking about buying a klr650 similar bike style more comforts is it worth it? Btw the dr650 is my fathers no ownership here.

Another KLR vs DR discussion - to add the may many, many before - seems every week someone is asking the same questions! Help me decide...

While I understand that some have questions, please do a search on the subject. Whatever bike you choose, each will have some maintenance issues and weakneses. Up grade, down grade, sideways grade. Make a decision orSpin a coin.

montesa_vr 07-01-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk900dc (Post 21760049)
the only things that irk me are the vibrations when on the highway. I keep looking at the KLR due to the claimed less vibrations, smoother power delivery and comfort. Ive been also been referred to Vstroms, but I think if i get something that big it would be a hassle for short trips around town and getting out of my one car garage garage and cramped driveway.

I don't think you'll feel any less vibration from a KLR than a DR650. Individual examples will vary some due to mass production and wear, but the KLR is not inherently smoother.

If you want something light weight for short highway trips, consider the Kawasaki Ninja 300. Cheaper than a KLR, lighter, faster, better gas mileage, more comfortable, lower seat height, fuel injected -- I mean, if you're just street riding, why not get a street bike?

http://ninja300.kawasaki.com/Content...0/White/24.png

ruppster 07-01-2013 06:27 AM

Used V-Strom 650.

montesa_vr 07-01-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruppster (Post 21762886)
Used V-Strom 650.

Even better.

bogey78 07-01-2013 08:53 AM

Weestrom is hard to beat if you are sticking primarily to the tarmac. I never felt that it was too large or bulky for short, around town trips. But on the open road it was a dream. Good wind protection, good motor, suprisingly nimble and awesome range.

jules083 07-01-2013 09:45 AM

Where are you located at? I'm looking to trade my KLR for a DR, maybe we could work something out. :deal

NC Rick 07-02-2013 11:10 AM

I agree that the BMW F650 is a better road going bike than the DR or KLR but it takes the weight to whole new levels. The DR is round about 375, KLR 410 and the F650 (new number for that bike in the latest iteration) is 500. I doubt the Wee-strom is a bunch more heavy than that.

eakins 07-02-2013 11:47 AM

is that an upgrade?
more like a sideways move.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:36 PM.