ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wilbers-BMW: 0-1 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899941)

tagesk 06-30-2013 01:41 PM

Wilbers-BMW: 0-1

http://girotoscana.sitoscana.com/upl...141-demper.jpg

My Wilbers failed real bad today. No luggage, no warning: Suddenly my GS was a low-rider.
Fortunately the speed was low.

A friend went to my house, found the old shock on the attic, and brought it out in Chianti were I was stranded.
I carry enough tools to replace it on the side of the road.

I am happy to tell you we had a outstanding lunch prior to this failure, so it was still a good day.
[TaSK]

Joeboxer82is 06-30-2013 03:14 PM

Thank god u're ok. Lucky u were not riding fast. It's weird how a shock like Wilbers can break just like that. My Ohlins is 4hrs away from it's 1st servicing/rebuild as e seals are gone. Anyway i think u should show Wilbers e broken rear shock of theirs!

EJ_92606 06-30-2013 03:16 PM

Whoa, glad you're ok. Were you riding offroad at the time?

Hopefully you were able to have a nice chianti while you waited :1drink

Swinefahrt 06-30-2013 03:17 PM

Tagesk, I remember you having rear drive issues and now this!

tagesk 07-01-2013 03:52 AM

http://girotoscana.sitoscana.com/upl...F2139-stag.jpg

This was the situation as we came to a halt. The steel rod broke, it seems, and the spring then slid off the stud.

Here, the swing-arm is pointing down as the wheel has been removed. When we were on the bike, the spring was resting on the swing arm.

We were riding on normal tarmac when it happened at abotu 50 km/h; no luggage!

I think the damping went first; we passed over a bump and I really felt like in an American car (no offense!). We went up and down two or three times.
Then the crack of something breaking, and the rear and fell at least 10 cm and the wheel banged up underneath the seat.

I'll see if I can find info about Wilbers and ask if they want the remains.

Now - a new shock is 850 euro. A 2008-9 BMW R1200GS Adventure is 10.000 euro. Look at those numbers and think about it.

Speaking of FD-failure: I have had four so far.

[TaSK]

kinkster 07-01-2013 04:26 AM

wilbers

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagesk (Post 21762013)
http://girotoscana.sitoscana.com/upl...F2139-stag.jpg

This was the situation as we came to a halt. The steel rod broke, it seems, and the spring then slid off the stud.

Here, the swing-arm is pointing down as the wheel has been removed. When we were on the bike, the spring was resting on the swing arm.

We were riding on normal tarmac when it happened at abotu 50 km/h; no luggage!

I think the damping went first; we passed over a bump and I really felt like in an American car (no offense!). We went up and down two or three times.
Then the crack of something breaking, and the rear and fell at least 10 cm and the wheel banged up underneath the seat.

I'll see if I can find info about Wilbers and ask if they want the remains.

Now - a new shock is 850 euro. A 2008-9 BMW R1200GS Adventure is 10.000 euro. Look at those numbers and think about it.

Speaking of FD-failure: I have had four so far.

[TaSK]

It will be interesting to see if Wilbers will come to the party!
Glad you are OK though.
What did you think of the wilbers before the failure?

fred flintstone 07-01-2013 04:57 AM

WoW! Does the lower mount (still attached to the swing arm in the pic) still swivel or is it frozen? Some Ohlins failures were attributed to that seizing up.

Glad you are OK this could have ended badly.

Racegun 07-01-2013 06:43 AM

could it be you are over loading the bike?

4 fd failures? WOW... what make of gear lube are you using? Who is rebuilding them? And If you do not mind, what is the total weight that your bike is carrying?

capeklr 07-01-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred flintstone (Post 21762307)
WoW! Does the lower mount (still attached to the swing arm in the pic) still swivel or is it frozen?

That was my first thought as well looking at the pics. If that mounting seizes then the shock shaft will break.

Okie Preacher 07-01-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagesk (Post 21761374)
I am happy to tell you we had a outstanding lunch prior to this failure, so it was still a good day.

The man has his priorities straight!

tagesk 07-01-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred flintstone (Post 21762307)
WoW! Does the lower mount (still attached to the swing arm in the pic) still swivel or is it frozen?

Not frozen.
At least not when I started to work to get it off.

[TaSK]

tagesk 07-01-2013 11:37 AM

[FONT=Verdana]
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinkster (Post 21762170)
It will be interesting to see if Wilbers will come to the party!
Glad you are OK though.
What did you think of the wilbers before the failure?

Wilbers say in an email today:
Of course, a shock must not break. I would ask you to send us the defective shock. You have written that your shocks got a regular service.
Please send us copies of the service work.

When the shock arrived, we check it directly.
We'll see.

The shock has worked very well, and after rebuild it has been like new every time.

[TaSk]

tagesk 07-01-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racegun (Post 21762984)
4 fd failures? WOW... what make of gear lube are you using? Who is rebuilding them? And If you do not mind, what is the total weight that your bike is carrying?

I've used some standard oil, don't know the brand.

During our 13.000 km journey to Nordkapp (North Cape) we were 520 kg (about 1150 pounds).
And we regularly do 1000 km days at 140 km/h for hour and hour.

Just be to absolutely clear: I have never complained about having to replace four big bearings road-side.

[TaSK]

Schlug 07-01-2013 11:52 AM

Disgrazia!

Glad you're okay TasK.

Keep us informed.

Dan-M 07-01-2013 12:54 PM

The important question is, what did you have for lunch?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:23 PM.