ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How many significant crashes? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900482)

Aj Mick 07-02-2013 03:50 PM

How many significant crashes?

Someone in the "Crashes; how many is too many?" thread suggested a poll on this, so here we go.

JimVonBaden 07-02-2013 03:53 PM

No pole! No poll!:evil

BTW One crash, rear ended by a drunk at a stop sign in 1984. :baldy

Jim :brow

sarathmenon 07-02-2013 04:02 PM

So is this thread going to discuss whether or not we need a poll? :D

Aj Mick 07-02-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 21776279)
No pole! No poll!:evil

BTW One crash, rear ended by a drunk at a stop sign in 1984. :baldy

Jim :brow

Patience please....! It takes a few minutes to set the poll after starting the thread.

Just one significant (in 1976) for me after the best part five decades of mucking around on two wheels, and 45 years licensed.

Sideswiped by a fast moving car pulling in after overtaking the car behind me. "I didn't see you," said the driver......

Lesson learnt, ride aware that others may not be.

Aj Mick 07-02-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathmenon (Post 21776340)
So is this thread going to discuss whether or not we need a poll? :D

Up to you, and others; discuss if you choose.

There is a three week poll now...... Lump it or leave it.

sarathmenon 07-02-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aj Mick (Post 21776444)
Up to you, and others; discuss if you choose.

There is a three week poll now...... Lump it or leave it.

It didn't have the poll when I first opened it, and I think Jim noticed this as well.

And poles are more fun that polls, but only if there is a stripper involved :rofl

SloMo228 07-02-2013 04:51 PM

I've gone down twice on a bike, both times from being young and dumb, but the worst damage from any "crash" I've had was a broken turn signal and scraped knee, not even enough to tear the jeans I used to think were adequate riding gear.

So, no significant crashes, I guess. I ride much more aware nowadays and try to keep my street pace around 7/10ths or less, in my estimation anyway. So really I'm probably riding at more like 5/10ths... :lol3

Aj Mick 07-02-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathmenon (Post 21776483)
It didn't have the poll when I first opened it, and I think Jim noticed this as well.

And poles are more fun that polls, but only if there is a stripper involved :rofl

Fifteen crash free years (and about 150,000 km) living in a land well known for its chrome pole botherers, the attraction has palled somewhat. Each to their own, but polls seem to do it more for me nowadays!

k-moe 07-02-2013 06:12 PM

OK. Against my better judgment I voted, and was honest. I've had no significant crashes in ~20 years of riding on the street. I'm going on a multi-day trip next week, and if I crash it's your fault :lol3

the_sandman_454 07-02-2013 06:50 PM

One. Deer jumped out of the woods bordering the road with no warning close enough to leave me no time at all to react. Now I have a chunk of titanium on my right collarbone. Watch out for wildlife, they hurt.

Barnone 07-03-2013 03:47 AM

Two for me on the street in 56 years not counting the ones racing/riding in the dirt.

Petzl 07-03-2013 04:49 AM

One Major me vs. the Dominoes Driver that had to get the pizza to the house in 30 minutes. (Through me)

6 months in a wheelchair was the result.

max384 07-03-2013 04:56 AM

One. Crashed on the highway last year. A truck didn't see me and pulled into my lane. Bike was new to me, and like a dummy I pulled the brakes as hard as I would on my previous bike. The fronts locked up and I went tumbling. Lesson learned. I do parking lot emergency braking practice regularly. My next bike will have ABS. I'll still do my e braking practice... But it would be nice to have ABS just in case I get a little over-zealous in a panic.

anotherguy 07-03-2013 05:25 AM

One involving alcohol 27 years ago. Should have died but ??? Don't drink anymore.

EKIN 07-03-2013 05:38 AM

To much speed, not enough skill.:cry

I was fortunate to walk away without a scratch. ATGAT is not a bad word. My crash definitely motivated me to learn more about being safe riding a motorcycle. If you have a chance to improve your skill on a bike by taking a class, LISTENING to other riders, reading ADV, take advantage and do not EVER assume you are a great rider.

If I only knew then what I have learned now about riding the past few years, my outcome would have been different.

Even though I was not hurt, crashing a bike sucks!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:52 PM.