ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trials (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Trials bike suspension setup...school me (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900619)

toro618 07-03-2013 06:59 AM

Trials bike suspension setup...school me

I've been watching a lot of indoor/outdoor competition videos lately, and noticed that most of the pro's have their bikes on the springy/mushy side. Am I correct with this observation? Yet, I would think less compression and faster rebound (this is what I am observing) would absorb too much of the energy the legs/knees are generating to hop the bike around.

Am I thinking on the right track?

ridenm 07-03-2013 11:57 AM

:lurk

lineaway 07-03-2013 12:26 PM

If there bikes were set mushy you would see only two inches or so at the rear fender. What those guys have, is incredible timing. Watch Bou, his suspension barely moves ever. And yet he pulls off crazy cool moves!
Biggest thing is you want the front and back to move together. Try pushing down in the center of your seat. (while off and just standing) Does one end not move with the other? You want it fluid movement at both ends.

Gordy 07-03-2013 01:00 PM

IMO, the pros are operating at such a higer level than any of us that how they have their bikes set up has little bearing on what we do.

My theory is; just put the anodized master cylinder cover on and some trick colored chain adjusters and ride! :lol3

Seriously, most trials bikes are no different than most dirt bikes sold today and they have too soft of springs for anyone over 180-190.
Don't make the common mistake (in all diciplines of bikerdom) of trying to adjust total sag with pre-load. Get with your dealer and get the right springs for your weight or buy a BYOB Beta and it will come that way! :1drink

mud 07-04-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordy (Post 21783935)
IMO, the pros are operating at such a higer level than any of us that how they have their bikes set up has little bearing on what we do.

My theory is; just put the anodized master cylinder cover on and some trick colored chain adjusters and ride! :lol3

Seriously, most trials bikes are no different than most dirt bikes sold today and they have too soft of springs for anyone over 180-190.
Don't make the common mistake (in all diciplines of bikerdom) of trying to adjust total sag with pre-load. Get with your dealer and get the right springs for your weight or buy a BYOB Beta and it will come that way! :1drink

^^^^^^ This^^^^^^

I was always told not to worry about the suspension as a beginner. But I will tell you, it makes a HUGE difference if it is sprung correctly, makes it much better to ride.

I am about 200lbs, so pretty much all bikes are sprung WAY to light for me.

As far as dampening goes? Just ride. Even our local top level guys ride stock suspension.

toro618 07-04-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 21791080)
^^^^^^ This^^^^^^

I was always told not to worry about the suspension as a beginner. But I will tell you, it makes a HUGE difference if it is sprung correctly, makes it much better to ride.

I am about 200lbs, so pretty much all bikes are sprung WAY to light for me.

As far as dampening goes? Just ride. Even our local top level guys ride stock suspension.

Having the correct spring rate and setting the right sag is a must. I am just wondering how these top level riders set their clickers. I bought my gasgas last year, and I have yet to touch the clickers....the settings work well for me but want to start playing with them to see if hopping the wheels get easier or harder.

2whlrcr 07-04-2013 04:14 PM

Hopping is all about technique and really doesn't have that much to do with suspension setup. Brakes are a different story. If your brakes don't work properly, it's going to be tough to hop.

val4215 07-05-2013 07:43 AM

OK, so for another noob out here. What are the proper sag settings. (same as any other bike 30mmą 5 mm static, 100mmą 5mm race)?

laser17 07-05-2013 11:48 AM

about 1/3 of the travel is the typical race sag starting point. Static sag is around 5mm to 10mm depending on linkage slop.

Nodabs 07-05-2013 04:00 PM

Don't get all obsessed about bike setup.
Spend your time riding, work on timing, using your clutch and brakes together. Ride, ride and then ride some more. Learn what the motorcycle does when you move around on it. Work on balance and multitasking with all of the controls at once. Seat time, or in this case, foot peg time is what matters. Ride circles in your driveway, double blip over a 2x4, learn how to make everything automatic to you.
That is what it takes.

Huzband 07-05-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whlrcr (Post 21792583)
Hopping is all about technique and really doesn't have that much to do with suspension setup. Brakes are a different story. If your brakes don't work properly, it's going to be tough to hop.

Yes & no. Of course technique is important, but to say suspension setup doesn't have that much to do with it is leaving half the equation out.

If a rider weighs 159 lbs & gets on a bike set up for a 230 lb rider, how well can he hop? And vice versa. Suspension certainly has a definite effect on hopping.

But I agree with you on brakes. If they don't work properly, you're hosed.

mud 07-05-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodabs (Post 21799139)
Don't get all obsessed about bike setup.

Obsessed is one thing, having the bike ride how it is supposed to is another....

Huzband 07-05-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 21800672)
Obsessed is one thing, having the bike ride how it is supposed to is another....

This +1.

BEEF706 07-05-2013 10:07 PM

So, not to hijack, but I am one of those guys outside the "normal" trials rider range, i have gone with stiffer springs in almost every dirt bike I have owned, the rear shock on my gasgas feels too soft, (like I can bottom it in static practice) I have jacked up the preload all that I feel I can, but I have no idea where to even look for stiffer springs. Dont get me wrong it is not a deal breaker, and it is nowhere near the top of my list, I just got a new front tire and have a rear on order. I am having illegal amounts of fun learning trials, but I wonder if it could be better.
PS the GasGas is a 94, so I bet that complicates things a bit. :lol3
PPS what I really need is talent, but I can't find anywhere to buy that even online, :deal

Huzband 07-05-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF706 (Post 21800976)
PPS what I really need is talent, but I can't find anywhere to buy that even online, :deal

Ryan Young sells talent, but only to those who are in the DNA Club.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:01 PM.