ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What's happening in this video? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901504)

indr 07-06-2013 09:47 PM

What's happening in this video?
 
What exactly did he do to save it?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2S9jA0glDi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

omeoxlv 07-07-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indr (Post 21806946)
What exactly did he do to save it?

Havent slow moed it or anything but would guess not going that quick in first place and (most important) stood up!
He caused it by giving full throttle and then backed right off.

DSM8 07-07-2013 03:47 AM

Perfect example of a highside but was going slow enough he did not get tossed off bike. Good save on his part.

markie*mark0 07-07-2013 04:04 AM

poor control in the first place, if you watch carefully you can see the on/off of the throttle, combine that with the weight transfer of the bike and the rear looses traction.

highsides tend to kick you out of the seat, the good thing with that is all of your body weight is instantly transferred to your pegs, this means the centre of gravity is put as low as possible to make the bike more stable.

combine the lucky kick out of the seat with an instinctive "turn into the skid" and he saves it.

Work on positive throttle control for next time and this wont happen

DAKEZ 07-07-2013 08:23 AM

He cut the throttle and used the clutch to help the rear wheel regain traction... And let the bike have the freedom to right ITSELF.

DAKEZ 07-07-2013 08:26 AM

:fpalm weighting the pegs does NOT lower the center of gravity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie*mark0 (Post 21807702)

highsides tend to kick you out of the seat, the good thing with that is all of your body weight is instantly transferred to your pegs, this means the center of gravity is put as low as possible to make the bike more stable.


:rofl

superhobie 07-07-2013 06:02 PM

Never touched clutch :huh

rocker59 07-07-2013 06:54 PM

To answer the OP's question, when the rear end kicks out, do not chop the throttle. Slowly roll off the throttle as the rear end comes back in line.

If you leave too much throttle, the rear will wash out and you'll low side. Chop the throttle too quickly and it will snap back in line and high side you.

Practice sliding a dirtbike and you'll see what I mean... Though, it's not really something you can practice for on the street.

JimVonBaden 07-07-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omeoxlv (Post 21807582)
Havent slow moed it or anything but would guess not going that quick in first place and (most important) stood up!
He caused it by giving full throttle and then backed right off.

It started by braking and unweighting the rear tire. Watch closely and you will see the front squat.

As for the save, back on the gas lightly by reflex, and standing up to weight the rear again. It is a common theme on Mulholland Drive!

Jim :brow

lnewqban 07-07-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indr (Post 21806946)
What exactly did he do to save it?

He didn't.

rocker59 07-07-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 21812867)
It started by braking and unweighting the rear tire. Watch closely and you will see the front squat.

As for the save, back on the gas lightly by reflex, and standing up to weight the rear again. It is a common theme on Mulholland Drive!

Jim :brow

I just re-watched the vid and didn't see his fingers on the brake (or the clutch).

The slide was throttle induced. There are hundreds of vids on the web of bikes doing the same thing at the same spot on that road.

He rolled on too much throttle on the exit and lost rear traction, putting him into a power slide. He then chopped the throttle a little too quickly and almost high sided when the rear end came back in line.

rocker59 07-07-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnewqban (Post 21813106)
He didn't.

Well, at least he held on tight during the rodeo.

JimVonBaden 07-07-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocker59 (Post 21813162)
I just re-watched the vid and didn't see his fingers on the brake (or the clutch).

The slide was throttle induced. There are hundreds of vids on the web of bikes doing the same thing at the same spot on that road.

He rolled on too much throttle on the exit and lost rear traction, putting him into a power slide. He then chopped the throttle a little too quickly and almost high sided when the rear end came back in line.

You are right, same effect though. I could see his wrist as he let up on the throttle.

Jim :brow

lnewqban 07-07-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocker59 (Post 21813164)
Well, at least he held on tight during the rodeo.

Yes, more or less, ......................and he was lucky that the surface upon which the recovery happened was still slippery, allowing the rear re-gain traction gradually.

This guy was not as lucky:

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40391

Navy Chief 07-08-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnewqban (Post 21813686)
Yes, more or less, ......................and he was lucky that the surface upon which the recovery happened was still slippery, allowing the rear re-gain traction gradually.

This guy was not as lucky:

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40391


Great photo sequence of exactly what happens during a highside... Glad the rider was okay.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014