ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Northwest CT dirt road mapping quest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904523)

btao 07-17-2013 07:45 PM

Northwest CT dirt road mapping quest
 
So, it's been a little slow at work lately, so I had a little time to put together a map of all the dirt roads in the northwest quadrant of the state. To say it's tedious, time consuming, pain in the balls, is well, spot on......

But alas, I couldn't let all that time go to waste, so here's a screen cap for ya:

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2c2ab02a.jpg

Yea, there really is that many, and they are all public roads.....:eek1

So, here's the deal :deal You PM me, get the download of the map, and with a little teamwork, let's try to make some sense and play connect the dots, so to speak and get some coherent routes out of it. Point to point, loops, whatever. A little variety is nice...

If you ask nice, I'll point you to the original maps they came from, which some may have already found... They're free, super acurate, and provided by your tax dollars! (but you can't do squat with them other than print em)

I have all the published dirt roads for NY too, so if there's any counties you're interested in and want those roads mapped or listed, let me know!

I haven't found any base maps for Google yet that include state forest roads to identify, so if you have any lines on those, please send them over and I'll include those in version 2.0

cheers,
btao

rider257 07-25-2013 03:08 PM

I would be interested in laying down some tracks and sharing them just started digging into some nice stuff in the north west by new cannan and Salisbury. Also if you have Columbia county NY that would nice. Pm with the maps if you could

Kainic 08-01-2013 06:28 PM

Just sent you a PM. Located in S.CT.

boinoodle 08-06-2013 05:31 AM

I rode a 50 mile (mostly dirt) track from Washington to Housatonic state forest that worked out awesome, river Rd to Skiff MT was ripping fun. And was able to explore a couple side roads in Housy. till the rain rolled in. You have a fantastic back yard and would love to explore it more. May hang out and camp Saturday night in that neck of the woods...

PM me if you're interested in the Washington to Housy track


Quote:

Originally Posted by rider257 (Post 21952468)
I would be interested in laying down some tracks and sharing them just started digging into some nice stuff in the north west by new cannan and Salisbury. Also if you have Columbia county NY that would nice. Pm with the maps if you could


rider257 09-23-2013 03:27 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/23/ryjy8ybu.jpg these roads here are Washington mtn and west road great stuff super pretty sorry for the delay in sharing

AndytheElder 09-23-2013 05:23 AM

Were you able to ride that road over the mountain all the way through? I was up there earlier in the summer and ran into Jersey barriers blocking the road in the vicinity of the state line. Lots of parked cars in the area from hikers doing the trails.

NorthernTraveler 09-23-2013 10:40 AM

Road blocked
 
I rode that area 3 years ago and there were barriers blocking the road at the state line at that time.

Looked like a permanent closure to me!

AndytheElder 10-02-2013 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took advantage of the great weather today and tried my hand at stringing together as much gravel road as I could to get across the state from south to north. I came up with a 100 mile ride that starts near Southford Falls in Oxford and ends at RT 183 where it crosses the south end of the TMT. If anyone is interested, I'll post my tracks of the ride once I have a chance to clean them up.

btao 10-03-2013 06:22 AM

That looks fantastic Andy! I'd be interested in the GPX when you're done with it.

-Andy

AndytheElder 10-03-2013 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is. Check this out on your computer before trying it since this is the first .gpx file I have uploaded. All the gravel roads are town roads that are maintained to some degree (most very well).

The most interesting bits (for me) were N. Kent Rd which climbs off River Rd in Kent to Skiff Mt Rd. Road goes up hill with numerous water bars to jump or roll over depending on your speed.

The other bit was Mt Easter Rd which climbs over to Rt 7 after you leave Sharon. Its a bona fide double track. All in all, its a nice ride with no "hero" sections.

btao 10-03-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndytheElder (Post 22471182)
Here it is. Check this out on your computer before trying it since this is the first .gpx file I have uploaded. All the gravel roads are town roads that are maintained to some degree (most very well).

The most interesting bits (for me) were N. Kent Rd which climbs off River Rd in Kent to Skiff Mt Rd. Road goes up hill with numerous water bars to jump or roll over depending on your speed.

The other bit was Mt Easter Rd which climbs over to Rt 7 after you leave Sharon. Its a bona fide double track. All in all, its a nice ride with no "hero" sections.

Looks great, loaded up fine. Can't wait to test it out!

Has anyone tried the loop I put together yet? I don't remember who has it. Holler if you want it. Couple of hours just to the right of your route Andy.

AndytheElder 10-03-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btao (Post 22471455)

Has anyone tried the loop I put together yet? I don't remember who has it. Holler if you want it.

Point me to where I can get it and I'd love to ride it!

btao 10-03-2013 06:28 PM

Just shoot me a pm with your email and you'll have it pronto :)

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator

AndytheElder 10-04-2013 04:52 AM

PM sent

btao 10-04-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndytheElder (Post 22477006)
PM sent

Hmmm... I see nothing yet :hmmmmm


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014