ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Anyone near upstate SC, GA, NC want to ride? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904939)

stretch160 07-19-2013 12:07 PM

Anyone near upstate SC, GA, NC want to ride?
 
I live between Greenville and Spartanburg, and would like to find some people to ride local, and not so local trails with.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Chiknmunky 07-26-2013 06:02 PM

I know it's short notice,but I'm available tommorow( Sat.).Been itchin to get the DR out.

1worshipguy 07-27-2013 08:18 PM

I'm in too...
 
I'm in the Pickens area...some good riding over here. Been looking for some company to take Horsepasture Rd one day.

cbolling 07-28-2013 09:12 AM

The cool thing is that Horsepasture is open year round now to licensed vehicles.:wink:

Chiknmunky 07-28-2013 07:08 PM

I read somewhere that it's only open the 7 mi.to jumping off rock.I hav'nt been in there in a while so I can't say firsthand.

stretch160 08-02-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiknmunky (Post 21961701)
I know it's short notice,but I'm available tommorow( Sat.).Been itchin to get the DR out.

Sorry I missed your post. The DR is down for a little maintanence, but I would like to ride some time. I have found some great places to ride if I can get someone to go with me. The DR Should be up by the weekend of the 10th.. PM me when you want to ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1worshipguy (Post 21968638)
I'm in the Pickens area...some good riding over here. Been looking for some company to take Horsepasture Rd one day.

I've been on horsepasture, it's basicly a dirt road with deep gravel. Not bad, but there is much more interesting riding in the area. How do you feel about jeep and ATV trails? PM me when you want to ride..

stretch160 08-02-2013 10:14 AM

here are some pictures from this weeks ride. It should give you an idea of where I like to ride.
crazy mushroom tree
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...psd246388a.png
trail is a little orergrown, but the view was nice.
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...psdf47d922.png
easier to follow
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3d5d9fad.png
todays first water crossing. easy peasy
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps19f84dad.png
that's gonna be a little trickier
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2502edea.png
toataly faked water crossing :P
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps38faed42.png
big old pipe. insert pipe laying jokes here.
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3f5f2d7a.png
more pics
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...psa90b05f1.png
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6b34957b.png
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5429bf55.png
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...psdcb23db4.png
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7f587dcb.png
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9942a330.png
Now It's times like this I wish I had someone to ride with me.
I don't mind a bit of rutted trails, but this is just rediculous..
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...ps28e16eb7.jpg
I could just see my self getting hurt out here in the middle of nowhere, and nobody even knew where I was.

Chiknmunky 08-02-2013 06:26 PM

Hey, I'm down with that! That's the kinda riding I like. Post up when you get your bike sorted.
Thought I might head out somewhere tomorow,maybe the Gorges & Wolf mt. I don't know. If anyone is interested.

1worshipguy 08-02-2013 06:39 PM

Still a newbie
 
That's the kind of stuff I want to get to but I'm not there yet. I've been on street bikes too long and have to unlearn some stuff. Plus I've got to learn how to handle a GS Adventure off pavement.

Anyway, want to get there at some point. So I'll keep up with this thread and look to ride at some point.

Tomorrow, I'm actually riding with a group from church (our 1st Saturday ride that happens every month, rain or shine). The only deal is most are street only, only me and another guy on a GS Adventure. It's open to anyone that rides though.

Talk to you later.

HI378 08-04-2013 03:19 PM

Also interested
 
I am new to the area and I'm on an 05 Tiger so I can't go some places the DR will but I'm looking to learn my way around the Upstate. Would love to find some like minded and either understanding or less skilled riders to explore with.

Whitebread117 08-05-2013 09:05 AM

Nice pics stretch.

I'm in Brevard, just up the mountain from some of you. I've got a KLR that I run around on. I travel a fair amount for work, sometimes on short notice, but if any of you want to ride shoot me a PM and if I'm home I'll go.

I know a lot of the stuff north and west of Brevard and am slowly getting acquainted with the stuff south and east of here.

I'm content running around with the big adv bikes or the smaller dual sports either way. Though if I'm the biggest bike in the group I'll be swapping sprockets and tires to try and cheat my way into keeping up with the little bikes on the rough stuff

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...2005bf060f.jpg


http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...Panorama-2.jpg



http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...oldMineRd3.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...shoeRock-1.jpg


Looking for some examples to post, I realized I need to stop more to take photos. I don't have anything from most of my rides.

:beer:

stretch160 08-05-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiknmunky (Post 22016144)
Hey, I'm down with that! That's the kinda riding I like. Post up when you get your bike sorted.
Thought I might head out somewhere tomorow,maybe the Gorges & Wolf mt. I don't know. If anyone is interested.

argh.... it's taking a little longer than expected. I don't know if the DR will be ready by this weekend. I'll PM you when I can ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1worshipguy (Post 22016216)
That's the kind of stuff I want to get to but I'm not there yet. I've been on street bikes too long and have to unlearn some stuff. Plus I've got to learn how to handle a GS Adventure off pavement.

Anyway, want to get there at some point. So I'll keep up with this thread and look to ride at some point.

Tomorrow, I'm actually riding with a group from church (our 1st Saturday ride that happens every month, rain or shine). The only deal is most are street only, only me and another guy on a GS Adventure. It's open to anyone that rides though.

Talk to you later.

The GS1200 is a bug bike, but some people can do pretty amazing things with them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HI378 (Post 22026787)
I am new to the area and I'm on an 05 Tiger so I can't go some places the DR will but I'm looking to learn my way around the Upstate. Would love to find some like minded and either understanding or less skilled riders to explore with.

I'd like to ride with you. We could stick to the dirt roads and stay off the ATV trails if you like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread117 (Post 22031705)
Nice pics stretch.

I'm in Brevard, just up the mountain from some of you. I've got a KLR that I run around on. I travel a fair amount for work, sometimes on short notice, but if any of you want to ride shoot me a PM and if I'm home I'll go.

I know a lot of the stuff north and west of Brevard and am slowly getting acquainted with the stuff south and east of here.

I'm content running around with the big adv bikes or the smaller dual sports either way. Though if I'm the biggest bike in the group I'll be swapping sprockets and tires to try and cheat my way into keeping up with the little bikes on the rough stuff

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...2005bf060f.jpg


http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...Panorama-2.jpg



http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...oldMineRd3.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...shoeRock-1.jpg


Looking for some examples to post, I realized I need to stop more to take photos. I don't have anything from most of my rides.

:beer:

Sweet, looks like you have found some spots I haven't yet. I recognize the spot in the last pic, but not the first two. I look forward to riding with you when I get the DR back on the road. I probably can share some new spots with you too. I'm still hoping to have it done by this weekend..keeping up with me isn't an issue, I'm slow. I prefer the first gear stuff anyway. The only other rider I've ridden with off road was on a gen1 KLR.

35xj 08-05-2013 12:42 PM

hmm, id be up for a ride with you guys too. either on my ktm 950 or the husaberg 450
Looks like you guys have found stuff we haven't!

Whitebread117 08-05-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stretch160 (Post 22033345)
argh.... it's taking a little longer than expected. I don't know if the DR will be ready by this weekend. I'll PM you when I can ride.


The GS1200 is a bug bike, but some people can do pretty amazing things with them.

I'd like to ride with you. We could stick to the dirt roads and stay off the ATV trails if you like.


Sweet, looks like you have found some spots I haven't yet. I recognize the spot in the last pic, but not the first two. I look forward to riding with you when I get the DR back on the road. I probably can share some new spots with you too. I'm still hoping to have it done by this weekend..keeping up with me isn't an issue, I'm slow. I prefer the first gear stuff anyway. The only other rider I've ridden with off road was on a gen1 KLR.

The first photo is an awesome area to ride and it'll take you to the NC/SC state line if you go far enough south. During certain times of the year, it's also the access to the north end of Bad Creek (when SC has the gate open). I was 8 miles off pavement at that photo. Big bikes with willing riders will have no trouble on the main parts, and there's a ton of side trails for the little bikes. Oh, and the erosion control berms are steep enough to make even a klr pig fly. It's not on most maps but is a (roughly) maintained road.

Second and third photos are an area I stumbled upon while living near Highlands. I've taken 3 people from this board down there and to my knowledge they are the only ones on the board that know of its' existence. It's really fun but no good for large groups due to proximity to uppity neighbors.

Last one you recognized is always a fun road, made more so by the heavy rains this year. Always a good choice for a mixed surface day.

I run Kenda 270s and a +1 front sprocket most days (better highway manners and still fine for big bike roads and 2 track). Then switch to -1 sprocket and full knobbies for small bike / singletrack stuff to try and keep the heavy pig under control. I'm the same in offroad tastes- high speed gravel is fun for a while, but first gear is where the excitement is at. Looks like you carry more gear but have a lighter bike - we'd probably be pretty well matched.

35xj either of your bikes would run circles around mine but I'll be glad to ride sometime if you decide to head this way. If you know the good spots north of AVL then perhaps I could head up that way for the day as well.

:beer:

Mr. Ray 08-05-2013 01:58 PM

I'm nearly always up for a ride.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014