ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Some Assembly Required (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Kawasaki Versys 300 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906246)

tonymorr 07-24-2013 12:26 PM

Kawasaki Versys 300 aka: De-thumpering a DRZ/KLX400

Project 300 Versys is underway

One Fleabay Ninja 300 motor with all the fixings is on the way...

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps83694803.jpg

Now what chassis should I use? KLX400(DRZ400)? There's tons of stuff available. Big comfy seats, big gas tanks, luggage, rally firings, Kawi green plastics, etc

Has anyone seen my mig welder? :wink:

Randy 07-24-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonymorr (Post 21943553)
Project 300 Versys is underway

One Fleabay Ninja 300 motor with all the fixings is on the way...

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps83694803.jpg

Now what chassis should I use? KLX400(DRZ400)? There's tons of stuff available. Big comfy seats, big gas tanks, luggage, rally firings, Kawi green plastics, etc

Has anyone seen my mig welder? :wink:

Sounds like an interesting thread. Just curious though... Is there something to be gained from going this route over using a more conventional "big single" as a starting point? Or is it just a "built it 'cause I can" thing?

MrBracket 07-24-2013 12:41 PM

Subscribed! This is an engine that I think would make a great super light Adventure Bike!!

Are you thinking more dual sport, with 18 rear and 21 front?

Or are you thinking something more like 17 rear and 19 front?

:lurk

MrBracket 07-24-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy (Post 21943642)
Sounds like an interesting thread. Just curious though... Is there something to be gained from going this route over using a more conventional "big single" as a starting point? Or is it just a "built it 'cause I can" thing?

A good twin (like this one) is very smooth, much easier to ride long distances than a big single (or small single for that matter...)

This is a unique build because it's a small twin, we haven't had any good smaller twins lately.. Think of a modern Honda SL350 or CL350 :clap

I'm excited to see what you come up with! Does the tranny have a pretty wide ratio set of gears??

tonymorr 07-24-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

EFI, smoothness, hoping it will be at least 50 lbs lighter than the "big single" choices out there.

Quote:

Or is it just a "built it 'cause I can" thing?

Yes, well........ I'm not sure I can yet. But thanks for the vote of confidence :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBracket (Post 21943654)
Subscribed! This is an engine that I think would make a great super light Adventure Bike!!

Are you thinking more dual sport, with 18 rear and 21 front?

Or are you thinking something more like 17 rear and 19 front?

:lurk

I have thought about it and I don't really know. One of the decisions I will have to make.

bigflax925 07-24-2013 01:11 PM

subscribed! Can't wait to see this.

Navin 07-24-2013 02:32 PM

Nice! The DRZ brings many options but that same old school ergos, though it can be improved on for sure. Darn, I just threw away a KTM 250 frame from the early 2000 era, PDS, I think I tossed an old swingarm and shock away too. The older stuff is doorstop material, nobody wants it. I would have given it to you.

You might try that route? ktmtalk has a magnitude of cheap parts in the classifieds for the older bikes. Modular too, so lots of options on fuel tanks and such.

This engine will be a gem in a proper Adv bike. Have you been riding one? The response and smoothness are great, and the trans ratios are wide too.

Ogre_fl 07-24-2013 02:36 PM

Why not a KTM chassis.
They are better than a DRZ/KLX

.....Looks like Navin be me to it, so I will say +1

sailah 07-24-2013 02:48 PM

awesome:D

tonymorr 07-24-2013 03:11 PM

My first thought was 640 Adventure but there's the right hand drive to deal with. I'm still open to options. Any options. I am getting part of the Ninja frame with the engine. I'm thinking that may help with the shoehorning. The goal is a light adventure bike that will accommodate a comfy seat, big tank, and hard luggage. I'm not sure any of those KTM frames you mentioned will fit that bill. Will they?

I'm not trying to make a dirt bike. I have a great one already in my Husaberg. Also, my WR is a pretty good adventure bike. If I fail at this I'm still pretty well set up. I guess this exercise is more for fun.

Randy 07-24-2013 04:02 PM

How much trouble will it be to get a street reg. on a frame VIN from an off-road model, in your state?

Navin 07-24-2013 04:18 PM

With a good seat and some fabrication luggage won't be a problem. Tanks up to 6.6g bolt on. You'll probably need an external fuel pump with whatever you get.

It doesn't look any bigger than a single in the pic.

doogiepooch 07-24-2013 05:19 PM

Ah jesus, is there a block content button? That's all I need is to start thinking about ripping apart my brand new bike. 5 minutes after reading this and I've already been scowering craigslist for used KLX's with some engine issues. And totaled up how much I think I could get for all the Ninja parts on Ebay. :rofl

I have to admit, I'm excited to see this. For me, this engine in the right light weight adv/tour platform would be my perfect bike. I'd like to see it stay Kawi but I realize that limits you. I think this engine in a KLX would be perfection, large tank, some luggage as you guys mentioned and some type of screen and then go RTW.

4play 07-24-2013 07:01 PM

Cool! Depending on how offroad capable you want to be, but I'd look at a newer KTM chassis

tonymorr 07-24-2013 08:17 PM

I was looking at my buddies '09 KTM 530 with 3.5 gallon tank tonight. There's not a very wide space between the "ears" of the tank and they hang down very low. I'm going to investigate further after I get some measurements of the Ninja motor. He lives just down the road so I'll be able to size things up. He thinks it's a pretty ridiculous idea. He's got so much KTM Koolaide in him that he pee's orange. Fortunately most evenings he's got so much gin in him that he'll let me do whatever I want to his bike :-)

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:20 PM.