ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Jesse luggage instructions (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912822)

Thechipsta 08-18-2013 02:09 PM

Jesse luggage instructions
 
Posted my rant in the garage about how much the instructions for the install of the panniers suck. Wondering if anyone has any helpful hints for the following:

1- which way does the rear support bracket get installed, tabs up or down?

2- rear spacers for the rear plate, any pictures or which of the three size bolts do I use.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated or photos of installed racks. Whoever put these piece of sh@t directions together should be forced to read the entire IRS tax code book and the entire obamacare bill while sitting in a bathtub full of fire ants!!!!!!!!!

smitty141 08-18-2013 04:14 PM

PM to you...

alongat 08-20-2013 06:26 AM

Are you sorted or do you still need pictures, etc? I'm home today, can send you pictures or information if it helps.

Thechipsta 08-20-2013 01:35 PM

thanks Alon- My biggest question remaining are the rear spacers and bolts to attach the rear rack again. Are the spacers big front/ small rear or vice versa? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chip

alongat 08-20-2013 01:50 PM

Probably easier over the phone. PM me your number or call me at 1416-930-7405 and i can walk you through that.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Thechipsta (Post 22141697)
thanks Alon- My biggest question remaining are the rear spacers and bolts to attach the rear rack again. Are the spacers big front/ small rear or vice versa? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chip


syzygy9 08-20-2013 06:08 PM

Also fitted a set of Jesses to my 11 990 a couple of months ago - I thought the instructions were pretty good! Didn't have any issues fitting them.

Not with the bike right now but can post some pics on the weekend if required.

alongat 08-20-2013 11:07 PM

Without including any pictures, I will try to describe the correct mounting. The upper cross bar goes from one pannier rack side to the other across the top of the tail and over the area that is the location for the front bolts of the stock luggage plate. This cross bar sits on top of the two side grab handles and it's tabs are welded such that they are offset vertically - in other words, if you have placed the cross bar in place correctly, the tabs are in the "lower" position and sitting literally on top of those grab handle holes. Once that is in place (don't tighten any bolts yet), use two of the shorter aluminum spacers that look like spools - be sure to orient them the right way. You will know if they are right side up if they have the "countersink" facing upward. If what you see is a straight cut top surface, flip them over. The two longer spools go onto the rear luggage plate holes, again right on top of the end points of the original grab handles. Once all four of these spools are sitting on top, place your original luggage plate on top and use the four Jesse bolts to screw everything in place. The order of assembly is as follows:
- front (closest to the back of the seat): original grab handles, jesse cross bar, short spools and then the luggage plate
- rear: original grab handles, longer spools, luggage plate

If you've assembled this correctly, your luggage plate will end up sitting approximately one inch higher than before. It may seem odd at first but what will happen is that it will end up aligning vertically with the jesse cases, making it easier (as a large flat surface) to mount large duffers across the back for example. Also, these spools are necessary given the extra "height" that the crossbar itself creates. The spools are different height due to the thickness of that crossbar (which is why the rear spools are longer).

Does this make sense?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Thechipsta (Post 22141697)
thanks Alon- My biggest question remaining are the rear spacers and bolts to attach the rear rack again. Are the spacers big front/ small rear or vice versa? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chip


alongat 08-20-2013 11:14 PM

Also, check page 5 of the PDF in the following link - it clearly shows the positioning of the cross bar but sadly, the instructions don't provide pictures of the installed spools / spacers.

http://www.jesseluggage.com/pdfs/O2_KTM_950_990.pdf



Quote:

Originally Posted by alongat (Post 22145634)
Without including any pictures, I will try to describe the correct mounting. The upper cross bar goes from one pannier rack side to the other across the top of the tail and over the area that is the location for the front bolts of the stock luggage plate. This cross bar sits on top of the two side grab handles and it's tabs are welded such that they are offset vertically - in other words, if you have placed the cross bar in place correctly, the tabs are in the "lower" position and sitting literally on top of those grab handle holes. Once that is in place (don't tighten any bolts yet), use two of the shorter aluminum spacers that look like spools - be sure to orient them the right way. You will know if they are right side up if they have the "countersink" facing upward. If what you see is a straight cut top surface, flip them over. The two longer spools go onto the rear luggage plate holes, again right on top of the end points of the original grab handles. Once all four of these spools are sitting on top, place your original luggage plate on top and use the four Jesse bolts to screw everything in place. The order of assembly is as follows:
- front (closest to the back of the seat): original grab handles, jesse cross bar, short spools and then the luggage plate
- rear: original grab handles, longer spools, luggage plate

If you've assembled this correctly, your luggage plate will end up sitting approximately one inch higher than before. It may seem odd at first but what will happen is that it will end up aligning vertically with the jesse cases, making it easier (as a large flat surface) to mount large duffers across the back for example. Also, these spools are necessary given the extra "height" that the crossbar itself creates. The spools are different height due to the thickness of that crossbar (which is why the rear spools are longer).

Does this make sense?


alongat 08-20-2013 11:21 PM

Take note however that on page 5, the picture shows the cross bar installed and all four new bolts installed - this is not what you want to do if you're going to reuse the KTM luggage plate that your bike came with. If you want to use it, follow my instructions about those spools so that your bike looks like the one on Page 5 but with the short and longer spools on top of the four grab handle bolt points, then your luggage plate on top and then finally the four bolts. In the end, that tab with the hole that is welded to the crossbar will not serve any purpose - I believe it is only ever used if you are replacing the stock KTM luggage plate with the Jesse large plate. I use my stock luggage plate with the large KTM powerparts luggage plate bolted right on top.

Here is a picture of my rear luggage plate setup:

http://alongat.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...1092659-XL.jpg




Quote:

Originally Posted by alongat (Post 22145650)
Also, check page 5 of the PDF in the following link - it clearly shows the positioning of the cross bar but sadly, the instructions don't provide pictures of the installed spools / spacers.

http://www.jesseluggage.com/pdfs/O2_KTM_950_990.pdf


CMurgel 08-21-2013 06:00 AM

I second that comment because I have installed the same Jesse Panniers in two different bikes and never had a problem with their instructions. First was V Strom 1000 and second my 990 A (different mounts).

Here is an image of my bike with my Panniers:

<a href="http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/CMurgel/media/KTM/IMG_0211_zps57f586e6.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u569/CMurgel/KTM/IMG_0211_zps57f586e6.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_0211_zps57f586e6.jpg"/></a>

Here a more detailed view of the mount installed:

<a href="http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/CMurgel/media/KTM/IMG_0194_zps99e30ad4.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u569/CMurgel/KTM/IMG_0194_zps99e30ad4.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_0194_zps99e30ad4.jpg"/></a>

I hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by syzygy9 (Post 22143545)
Also fitted a set of Jesses to my 11 990 a couple of months ago - I thought the instructions were pretty good! Didn't have any issues fitting them.

Not with the bike right now but can post some pics on the weekend if required.


Cottonwood Pass 08-21-2013 07:22 AM

I've been following this thread because I ordered Jesse Odyssey II's for my KTM990 and they're arriving this Friday.

Jesse Luggage yesterday emailed me two .pdf's neither of which are this 5-page .pdf. That's a bit odd!

Please submit your pics as they are extremely helpful.

Thanks. Great website!

alongat 08-21-2013 08:50 AM

Believe me, once you have taken the time to look at your bike and lay out the jesse components, it's somewhat straight-forward with the exception of the omission of those spool spacers in the instructions. Don't forget your thread lock but don't thread lock any bolts that have self locking (nylon insert) nuts.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottonwood Pass (Post 22146959)
I've been following this thread because I ordered Jesse Odyssey II's for my KTM990 and they're arriving this Friday.

Jesse Luggage yesterday emailed me two .pdf's neither of which are this 5-page .pdf. That's a bit odd!

Please submit your pics as they are extremely helpful.

Thanks. Great website!


Cottonwood Pass 08-23-2013 06:15 PM

So the Jesse Odyssey's are installed, took about 90 minutes. Thanks to this thread, reviewing everyones input, all I had to do is to look at pictures and it went together. Looking at pictures, well that is what I do best! I'm past denial.

The provided instructions are a little confusing, but as ALONGAT states, and I paraphrase- Take your time, drink later!

Jesse Odyssey II's are exactly what I was expecting, no dents, scratches and even 4 button-head cap screws w/ fiberloc nuts left over. And surprisingly light at 15lbs? Isn't that correct 15 lbs?

CMurgel- my assembly looks identical to your pics, especially the top
luggage rack crossbar. The mismatch is identical to mine.

Installed some 3M vinyl tape #08663101 where the lock handles impact the case, quiets that right down to a soft thud. This tape is used on eurocopter b2's b3's to quiet the sliding action of each aft fuselage door. Great stuff, I used it where the crash-bars clamp around the frame as well.
Thanks to all for your valuable input.
This is a great forum!

Pshyclo 10-18-2013 03:08 PM

Does anyone have the link to the Jesse Odyssey Top Box installation instructions for the KTM 990/950?

I never got an email with links to the two documents and Jesse is closed till Monday. I used the link found earlier in this post for the bags...thank you for that! But I still need the top box instructions.

I'm in full blown crisis mode here. New stuff with way too many parts to be intuitively obvious and no instructions.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014