ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Vegas 2 Reno Ride (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913449)

ybracing 08-21-2013 12:18 AM

Vegas 2 Reno Ride

Canceled

Lack of interest and other obligations force me to cancel. Maybe next spring.

AZ TOM 08-21-2013 07:07 AM

IN. Riding XR650L. Hey DR650Eddy here's your chance for a Dakar like ride:D Thanks Richard for putting this together:clap

ybracing 08-21-2013 10:08 AM

Welcome aboard Tom. This is going to be fun! :clap

AZ TOM 08-21-2013 05:22 PM

I was lucky & just made the age cut off by a week. 72 is the oldest riders allowed:D Come on out & test your endurance:eek1:clap:clap This is the kind of ride you bought those great big expensive BMW & KTM's for:wink::wink:

Hobbes950 08-21-2013 06:05 PM

No way I could go, but here is something to wet your guy's whistles.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s47ZdRgZ6SQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From this thread

AZ TOM 08-21-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbes950 (Post 22151530)
No way I could go, but here is something to wet your guy's whistles.

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s47ZdRgZ6SQ" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

From this thread

Now that's what i'm talkin about:evil:evil

ybracing 08-21-2013 09:51 PM

Nice report and videos/pictures Hobbes950. Thanks for sharing.
I will be starting from Johnny (old start 60 miles from Vegas) and will try to avoid as much of this years course as I can. I have tracks for several years and have some options. I am also plotting a different route for the return.

Reidy008 08-21-2013 10:06 PM

The whole ride

So if a guy wants to do the entire ride you are planning how many days are we talking? Can an average rider on a 950 ADV do the ride? I don't want to get in over my head and hold you guys up...

ybracing 08-21-2013 11:54 PM

HaHaHa. You make me laugh "average". I don't think you would hold anyone up. The route is doable on the 950. The only difficult parts will be the silt and some deep sand. You will not have any problems. The entire route with return will be 4 days (no rest day). 2 up and 2 back approximately 1200 miles. This ride is right up your alley only without the more technical 2 track we go on. Not quite like the trip we have planned in October. Uh, still waiting for a date on that one. BTW: Mil will be running sweep with his Raptor. Ok, you might hold him up:rofl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reidy008 (Post 22153228)
So if a guy wants to do the entire ride you are planning how many days are we talking? Can an average rider on a 950 ADV do the ride? I don't want to get in over my head and hold you guys up...

AZ TOM 08-22-2013 08:42 AM

I'm just hoping I don't hold Mil T up:eek1

ybracing 08-22-2013 10:21 AM

We may have him wait 30 minutes before starting. I'm still trying to get the Ford emblem off my ass from a couple of weekends ago:rofl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ TOM (Post 22155531)
I'm just hoping I don't hold Mil T up:eek1

Countdown 08-22-2013 02:02 PM

I promoted a Vegas (Jean) to Reno (Topaz) Dual Sport ride years ago. I did it in two days but found it was really a 3-day ride. I avoided the V-R race course as much as possible as it is worse than riding thru hell after the trucks trash the route. Had to use it to get to Mina for gas and riders were pissed. I have the GPS tracks if you are interested. Probably on GPSXchange.com in Nevada Statewide Motorized Trail System.

Actually 2-3 days along Hwy 50 is worlds better riding.

DR650SEDDY 08-22-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ TOM (Post 22146879)
IN. Riding XR650L. Hey DR650Eddy here's your chance for a Dakar like ride:D Thanks Richard for putting this together:clap

Thanks Richard for putting this ride together:thumb, Tom I guess I am gonna miss this one big time. I have been riding Northern AZ all summer and I am routing a ride NW of Williams to Hulapai Hiltop hwy. It'll coincide around the end of September too. Plenty of Dakar style terrains in Northern AZ:nod..

AZ TOM 08-22-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY (Post 22157983)
Thanks Richard for putting this ride together:thumb, Tom I guess I am gonna miss this one big time. I have been riding Northern AZ all summer and I am routing a ride NW of Williams to Hulapai Hiltop hwy. It'll coincide around the end of September too. Plenty of Dakar style terrains in Northern AZ:nod..

:cry:cry:cry:cry

ybracing 08-22-2013 06:34 PM

Thanks Jerry,
This is for the people that can't race it for whatever reason but would like to experience it without the expense and pressure of a race. I will be using mostly old course with the exception of north of Rawhide. This is not supposed to be an easy boring ride. The riders will have to be on their toes all the time and meet the time frame of the chase vehicle. Is this the best terrain in Nevada? Hell no! It's Vegas 2 Reno.
I will check GPSXchange for the return route. I have several ideas but would be open to any help offered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countdown (Post 22157912)
I promoted a Vegas (Jean) to Reno (Topaz) Dual Sport ride years ago. I did it in two days but found it was really a 3-day ride. I avoided the V-R race course as much as possible as it is worse than riding thru hell after the trucks trash the route. Had to use it to get to Mina for gas and riders were pissed. I have the GPS tracks if you are interested. Probably on GPSXchange.com in Nevada Statewide Motorized Trail System.

Actually 2-3 days along Hwy 50 is worlds better riding.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:08 PM.