ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Loud Pipe design logic (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913525)

Andyvh1959 08-21-2013 10:06 AM

Loud Pipe design logic

"IF" loud pipes really are a safety upgrade (which they are NOT), then the loud-pipers should apply sound phyics (ha, pun there) and face the exhaust outlets FORWARD on the bike.

Then I think they could be legit in arguing that loud pipes are a safety benefit. The noise would then be projected forward. Since sound travels at about 700 mph think of the awareness gained that way! Plus, the rider could revel in their own obnoxious noise even more!

Of course, bugs, road grit, leaves, water, all sorts of crap getting air-rammed into the exhaust would be detrimental to their cause. Not to mention the fact that it would look dumb-ass stupid on any bike.

Jimmy B. 08-21-2013 10:12 AM

Loud pipes

Slight twist, go half way on that idea.

One pipe forward with a slight downward cant, one pipe backward.

Think of how awesomely safe that will be! :clap

I live on the edge of HD world. The next few weeks will be bothersome.:lol3

waveydavey 08-21-2013 10:28 AM

Ok, I'll go slow. If hi-vis clothing increases safety, then I think hi-hear exhausts should also increase safety. The louder the better I suppose. :1drink Asking a motorcyclist to point his pipes forward is akin to asking a motorcyclist to wear a flashing yellow light on his helmet. Ridiculous.

DAKEZ 08-21-2013 10:44 AM

Attention Whores Save Lives!!!

:1drink

eatpasta 08-21-2013 10:54 AM

the orientation of the exhaust for most of the people that are going to argue the loud pipes save lives thing (Harley riders) isn't going to matter very much as low frequencies travel omnidirectionaly

joexr 08-21-2013 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=Andyvh1959;22148476

Not to mention the fact that it would look dumb-ass stupid on any bike.[/QUOTE]
I'll bet it would look absolutely normal on yours.:lol3

WilCon76 08-21-2013 03:44 PM

What was said above. Everyone can freely admit to hearing a Harley way before you see it so the pipe going backwards or forwards does not matter. You can also hear a loud sport bike so again direction of exit is irrelevant. Whether they save lives or not is anecdotal and personal. I have had several occasions on a few different bikes where I was glad I had a louder exhaust, not ridiculous, just louder. I can say I get tailgated significantly more with the quiet stock exhaust then I ever did with any aftermarket exhaust. Whether it was a cruiser or sport bike.

Andyvh1959 08-21-2013 04:36 PM

All right,...you do get this was a "tongue in cheek" jab at the loud pipers and not really a realistic application to a perceived problem.

My take on the whole "loud pipes" is certainly slanted by my experience:
  • I ride on average about 10,000 miles per year.
  • Have been doing that for almost 20 years now.
  • That's about 4X more than the national average of 2500, which means I'm in traffic 4X more than average.
  • I've been riding quiet bikes since 1990.
So my experience would indicate I'd be more likely to expereince close calls where loud pipes would be beneficial. Yet, my instances of close calls where I feel more exhaust noise may have been beneficial in 20 years of riding is zero. In fact my instances of close calls in general is VERY low. If I do have one it is more likely MY fault it happened. I'm not bragging I am some perfect rider by any means, and I am not saying I don't make mistakes. Just saying I feel there is much more going on with the rider than the traffic, that loud pipes alone address.

But I thought it kinda funny/assinine to infer that forward facing loud pipes make more sense. I'm weird that way.

i_isntreal 08-21-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatpasta (Post 22148815)
the orientation of the exhaust for most of the people that are going to argue the loud pipes save lives thing (Harley riders) isn't going to matter very much as low frequencies travel omnidirectionaly

:huh

And high frequency sound is unidirectional? What kind of logic is that?

k-moe 08-21-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_isntreal (Post 22151788)

The faulty kind.

tapdiggy 08-21-2013 08:11 PM

Why Am I Even Wading Into This?

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_isntreal (Post 22151788)

I think the property of low-frequency sound being referred to, is the tendancy of ULF soundwaves to transmit through solid objects rather than be reflected by them. However, that tendancy relates to ULF, outside the range of human hearing. Of course, it will definitely keep one safe from elephants and cats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatpasta (Post 22148815)

Can you really say with a solid level of confidence that "loud pipes..." proponents are going to pull out that argument, even if the question of pipe orientation was heavily debated?

Andyvh1959 08-21-2013 09:34 PM

Wow, this is starting to get into a "Sheldon" level of discussion on sound properties and propagation.

I just thought I could be "fasee",.....um,..."facieschious", nuts...an ASS about the loud pipes thing and stir up some conversation, heh, heh.

randyo 08-21-2013 09:41 PM

an under engine exhaust like on a Buell could easily point forward and be disguised to not look stupid

NobeyamaGP 08-21-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 (Post 22153361)
Wow, this is starting to get into a "Sheldon" level of discussion on sound properties and propagation.

I just thought I could be "fasee",.....um,..."facieschious", nuts...an ASS about the loud pipes thing and stir up some conversation, heh, heh.

To go along with your line of thinking why don't they make something akin to "redneck stacks" like you see on jacked up diesel trucks here in the midwest? Aim them up and to the side so they blast right AT passing cagers hopefully open windows.

Then they need to make a turbo diesel cruiser and turn that sumbitch up till it smokes. That'd really get people's attention.:lol3

Vertical C 08-22-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyo (Post 22153396)
an under engine exhaust like on a Buell could easily point forward and be disguised to not look stupid

I always hought that my Buell smelt worst at the lights, forward facing your pipes would cause more of that.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:04 PM.